SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cruising cookbooks

9K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  eryka 
#1 ·
Of the cookbooks dedicated to cruising, has anybody a favorite? Looking for Christmas gift ideas for my wife. Dave

#2 ·
I just received The Great Cuising Cookbook by John Payne and enjoy it. It is more than just recipes, like most books. It details provisioning in foreign ports, what to stock in the galley, etc. It is out of print, but I did check and it is available through Amazon.com at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0924486929/qid=1040060449/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-1323374-1945658?v=glance&s=books.

#3 ·
We would like some help. We are preparing some package stuffers for our cruising videos for Hudson River and Western LI Sound. If you have a "local" recipe for any of these regions, please message us with it and if included we''ll let you know and of course give you credit. See descriptions at

http://hometown.aol.com/halyardz/myhomepage/index.htm

One of the more interesting recipes we''ve received is "Clams Cumino"...which simply calls for heavy doses of garlic, cumin, and pepper (adobo as substitute) in the pot.

#6 ·
We've been spammed, Run for your lives

#7 · (Edited)
The SPAM filters aren't working and the moderators are MIA.

BTW, I'd add the One Pan Gourmet as a good cookbook for cruising. :D

#8 ·
#9 ·
I agree that Greenwald's book is excellent.

If you have a pressure cooker, I suggest Pressure Perfect by Lorna Sass.

I'm about halfway through reading Cooking with the Firehouse Chef by Keith Young. The book is good and easily a third of the recipes are on my "try soon" list.

#10 ·
Cooking Classes?

What appeals to you about a "Cruising Cookbook" as opposed to a "regular" cookbook?

I am in the process of developing a series of non-credit classes for our culinary program (AACC, near Annapolis) to attract sailors/boaters. More for the casual cook than the professional, to learn more about technique, methods, and recipes targeted to cooking on a boat...at sea, or on the hook.

Topics would include:
- Grilling
- One Pot Cooking
- Pressure cookery
- Baking/Roasting
- Marinating
- Raw Foods

If your were to take a class to learn more about how to cook on a boat, what would you want to learn?

#12 ·
If your were to take a class to learn more about how to cook on a boat, what would you want to learn?
If I were teaching I would take the first five minutes to touch on different cooking fuels normally found on boats, and safety regarding those fuels.

I would think that learning some recipes that involve few ingredients, and a few recipes that involve no refrigerated ingredients (some of us still have just an ice box) would be great. Also some recipes that include ingredients caught easily, fish, crabs, clams, your anchorage neighbors yappy little lap dog, etc. would be nice to have on hand.

#16 ·
"cooking with rotten fruits and vegetables"? I have yet to meet someone who didn't end up feeding the turtles the slimy lettuce they brought on their first longer cruise.

Seriously, a section on what foods are durable enough to survive in your fridge or icebox, storage issues, seasick-inducing foods to avoid, what to cook/prepare for midnight watch.

#17 ·
T37 - your initial outline for the course looks like it was designed around 'techniques' what about thinking about what foods for various 'functions':
things to eat with one hand (while helming, whatever)
things for when you have guests at the anchorage
morale boosters and warm-you-ups
make aheads
etc etc you get the idea

BTW, we just got the fall aacc catalog and were thinking of signing up for a couple of the 1 or 2-session fish cooking courses, it would be a hoot if one of 'em was yours.

#18 ·
One of my favorite books for the boat is "Essential galley companion" by Amanda Swan-Neal. She covers must subjects like the different fuels, provisioning and what works and don't. Also covers what keeps in the frig.

#20 ·
I totally agree. One of the best books we have. I have recommended that many time too.

Easy Weeknight Favorites is another good one. Not really written for the boat, but because many of the meals are focused around doing something quickly and without a lot of mess, it is good on board.

- CD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.