Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009
Sailing to surf

Beersmith is on a distinguished road
I've been pondering this ever since I have gotten into sailing and beer making simultaneously. My conclusion...leave my homebrewing gear at home, teach my Dad or a friend to make mead and beers, ship me the bottles when its done (and maybe sell some along the way)
Old 04-07-2009
Vikingsailor

c40eb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beersmith View Post
I've been pondering this ever since I have gotten into sailing and beer making simultaneously. My conclusion...leave my homebrewing gear at home, teach my Dad or a friend to make mead and beers, ship me the bottles when its done (and maybe sell some along the way)
I completely agree...I homebrewed for years, and then brewed professionally for a number of years. The most important part of brewing is keeping stuff clean. And I don't mean just clean...got to be sanitized. Regardless of the system, brewing requires lots of good water, some decent space...both of which are at a premium on board.

Brew on shore, keg it in soda kegs (Cornelius kegs) and bring those. Easier, neater and less work/space needs than bottling.

Good luck.

s/v Cloudman
1988 Sabre 30
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2009
Meat Popsicle

nailbunnySPU is on a distinguished road
If you do bottle, i'd keep the bottles in a plastic container as there's an off chance they'll explode.
Old 04-25-2009
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
I'd say that controlling fermentation temps (especially in a tropical climate) would also be a major issue.
Old 04-25-2009

St Anna is on a distinguished road
OK guys, now this is something I know about and is dear to (the layers of self induced fat around) my heart.

Many cruisers home brew and some cant wait more than 2 weeks to drink the stuff. Their stuff was horrible, mine was gooooood!

Ok - I decided that it had to be simple or it wasnt worth it. I used plastic bottles as they were light weight and you can store more/ volume than glass.

Clean the fermenter and the bottles as per manufacturers recomendations, (as the guys in previous posts say); use tap water and dont worry about high temperatures or specific gravities etc. At the end of 6 or 7 days (when calm enough), bottle the stuff.

We cruised the tropics for almost 3 years. Some brews were a little average, most were great. BUT allow it to sit second fermenting in the bottle (in the dark) for 3 months. In order to do this, I had 4 brews running (120 bottles) so that each could sit for 3 months or longer before I touched it. I had 4 plastic boxes, each held one brew. They sat in a single bunk in the aft cabin with the lee sheet up and a sheet or towel over the top (reduce the light). The temperature in that cabin was fairly consistant as the water temp stays consistant.

As to the tap water, we usually had to return somewhere about every 3-5 weeks for fresh food, and would top up with fuel and water etc. Thats when I would use tap (filtered) water.

If you keep it simple, and follow the instructions it will work just perfectly.
DC
Old 04-25-2009
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
dont worry about high temperatures or specific gravities etc. At the end of 6 or 7 days (when calm enough), bottle the stuff.
That's crazy talk, I tell you. Crazy talk!

Old 04-25-2009

Yes crazy, but it works - (as long as everything is sterile clean.) As Homer says, mmmmm....beer.

You gotta keep it simple. If you are lying awake at night worrying about the specific gravity of a malty sludge in a keg - you got problems. (Keep the bottles in a plastic, box - in order to clean up any mess that may occur. Only happened twice). The rest were manna from heaven, syrup of the gods yada yada. You can also get wine bottle coolers (wetsuit material) which fit perfectly over a bottle of beer or use a vacuum thermos mug ( they hold about 450mls ( 3/4 a bottle)

See how Aussies and yanks can speak the same language, eg - beer o'clock is when??
Old 04-26-2009

tanzer is on a distinguished road
I brewed at home and carried a corny keg to the boat. 5 gallons of beer is essential to survival if becalmed and it makes good ballast too.

These CO2 chargers are a little bit of a pain, but they work. A 5lb CO2 bottle with a regulator would be better.

An important accessory to beer on tap:

Here is a simple how-to for brewing beer:

Beer Brewing
Old 04-26-2009

After 5 gallons of beer, I'd be ballast, bad ballast.
Old 04-26-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Unconscious, heavy, drunk ballast I might add...
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
After 5 gallons of beer, I'd be ballast, bad ballast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.