Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2009

anansi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by N0NJY View Post
First off....

I've been making homebrew a few years now - and mead, and I started using the little "kits" like "Mr. Beer" and some of the others.

They... to be honest, suck. THe beer is not that good.

Hey, mate! Why no love for beer kits? I thought Mr. Beer is good? What was your experience with Mr. Beer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2009

gulfcoastcruiser is on a distinguished road
I homebrew at home, but I could not imagine trying to homebrew on my boat. You want to keep your wort in a dark place at a relatively cool and constant temperature during the fermentation process which might not be possible on a boat.

Also, a boil over in the galley would be pretty messy. I use a propane cooker on my patio at home.
Old 05-04-2009
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by anansi View Post
Hey, mate! Why no love for beer kits? I thought Mr. Beer is good? What was your experience with Mr. Beer?
Good beer requires high quality ingredients, something you're not gonna get with a Mr. Beer-type kit.
Old 05-06-2009
Banned

capecodphyllis is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfcoastcruiser View Post
I homebrew at home, but I could not imagine trying to homebrew on my boat. You want to keep your wort in a dark place at a relatively cool and constant temperature during the fermentation process which might not be possible on a boat.

Also, a boil over in the galley would be pretty messy. I use a propane cooker on my patio at home.
Many years ago when the engine in my old Cal 40 actually worked and I had refrigeration. I used ale yeast, a short 45 minute wort boil in the cockpit, and bottle conditioning -- no carboys. I would only brew a gallon at a time because I had a small ice- box. It was fun and the beer was delicious, but the cost of ingredients and propane was far far in excess of just buying the local stuff.
Old 05-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
Good beer requires high quality ingredients, something you're not gonna get with a Mr. Beer-type kit.
Really? But I thought that they're good. Checked their site and found some good deals there. I don't know, man. But I think I'm gonna try Mr. Beer. Hope it goes well!
Old 05-08-2009
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by anansi View Post
Really? But I thought that they're good. Checked their site and found some good deals there. I don't know, man. But I think I'm gonna try Mr. Beer. Hope it goes well!
In the end, whatever method you use, you're gonna end up with beer. It just depends on what your definition of "good" is.
Old 05-08-2009

gulfcoastcruiser is on a distinguished road
I would recommend the Cooper's homebrew kit over the Mr. Beer. I used the Cooper's malt for one of my first batches and it turned out pretty well. I did add additional hops during the boil though. If you follow the directions as printed on the can, your results may vary.
Old 05-08-2009
skipper

svthefilthywhore is on a distinguished road
on the boat is great

we have been boatbrewing for a few months, the gentle motion of puget sound actually helps the fermentation. we use the 6gal bucket from a home brewing supply store and a 5gal glass carboy for secondary. we have been bottle conditioning this whole time, but are looking into a corny keg system to get rid of most of the bottles.

I started with the coopers brand kits for the first two and then moved on to recipes and bulk product, with a little tweaking of the recipe ( why make a beer you can buy in the grocery store). because of the small space onboard we choose to use malt extract rather than all grain.

all of the beer has turned out better than anything we can buy in bottles and because it is unpasturized and unfiltered we get more vitamin B complex than the alcohol distroys, so I dont feel like I stayed up late drinking the next morning.

boat brew is the way to go if you care alot about really good beer.

psst, glug glug glug, aaaahh, now thats a good beer.

joey
Old 05-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
In the end, whatever method you use, you're gonna end up with beer. It just depends on what your definition of "good" is.

Haha! You're right! I hope I would get it right, though. Don't wanna spoil my first beer. But I guess it normally happens, right?

Old 05-18-2009
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan

roline is on a distinguished road
Stick with the ales and stouts/ porters. The time for extraction/ rest and hr hopping boil time will test your patience and you will have to keep an eye on boil overs. Some porters and lagers require extended maturing time in the bottle prior to consumption. (Russian porter, Irish peat smoked stout) Alt ale with American ale yeast can go into a soda keg with CO2, for quicker consumption. About $28/5.5 gallons. Lots of flavor, yet smooth.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.