SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Provisioning (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/)
-   -   Home brewing kits for yachts??? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/51359-home-brewing-kits-yachts.html)

johnnymac 02-10-2009 01:58 PM

Home brewing kits for yachts???

hi, i hear the beer can get pricey in the islands does any one has experience with home brewing kits on yachts.
cheers johnnymac

AjariBonten 02-10-2009 02:04 PM

I would think the constant agitation would not be good for the brewing process

N0NJY 02-10-2009 03:19 PM

First off....

You don't need a kit. You can put together a few things pretty cheaply, and then get the supplies in bulk. While I haven't yet brewed on a boat, I will be doing both mead (honey wine) and a couple of types of easy beer (beers that don't require special supplies).

So, while we're preparing for the next couple of years to get ready for our trips, we're working on what supplies and things we need.

I've been making homebrew a few years now - and mead, and I started using the little "kits" like "Mr. Beer" and some of the others.

They... to be honest, suck. THe beer is not that good.

You can do a much better job with a simple 6 gallon bucket (get one that is meant for food and better to purchase it through an online brew store or a local place in a major city).

Get yourself a couple of recipes for the types of beer you like - and talk to someone in the local area ( I strongly suggest going to a home brewing store personally and talk to them) and get as much information about supplies, prices and the process you can.

Many will actually take you through the process (you brew a batch of beer on the premises for a fee) and they will take you through the whole process.

Making an All-Grain batch can take a lot of time and you will be cooking your wort (that's the stuff the beer is, before it is fermented) for as long as 2-3 hours, depending on the types of beers.

I would suggest looking into what we call "Extract Brewing" or "partial grain" brewing.

This is where you obtain small quantities of the grains you will use in your recipe and then add a malt extract to fill out the majority of the fermentables (sugars). Malt extract is nothing more than the allready-cooked-down stuff you are going to be getting out of the grains. In smaller, extract batches you use the grains for the flavors and colors mostly.

Also, a good ale yeast (pick one or two, and stick with one of them!)

You're not probably going to be making lagers on a boat without cooling systems and such, so pick a couple of ALES you like and go from there.

You want this book, or one of the editions by Charlie:

Amazon.com: The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing: Charlie Papazian: Books

Welcome to HomebrewAdventures.com - News

Check out that site.

While you're at it, check into the American Homebrewers Association. I joined... I think it's 40 bucks a year or something for a family membership. You get between 10-20% off meals and beer in a LOT Of restrarunts. (I visit Rock Bottom a lot and try different beers there, know the head Brewer here in my hometown and get recipes from him, and he's done a couple of ours!) I figured 4-5 visits to places usually pays for the membership in the savings :)

Also a lot of homebrew shops will honor your membership and give you discounts as well.

Now, about that "constant agitation"... I don't think it will hurt things a bit :)

A basic process goes like this:

1) Clean things up, prep for cooking.
2) following cooking directions prepare your wort and cool it.
3) After cooling, pitch in your yeast.
4) Wait - a few days. Usually 3-6 days depending on the wort, amounts of sugars in the wort, the yeast and the temps.
5) Rack the beer (put it into another container)
6) add some bottling sugars (3/4 cup for a standard 5 gallon batch)
7) bottle (you need some tubing and other things, look those up on a brewing site, and check out that book which takes you through the process more carefully and in detail)

8) Wait some more. Usually 1-2 weeks for the beer to finish fermentation in the bottle (what gives it fizz and puts the co2 in it)

9) Chill and drink

I promise you, going that route instead of a kit (OR buying commerical beer!) is going to be much better in the long run. You control your process, you can make just the beer or beers you like, in quantities you like and can handle and home made beer, if you do it right, JUST TASTES better!

Good luck. Send me a PM if you want more information.

Rick

johnnymac 02-10-2009 03:36 PM

Rick wow.what a great response the magic of the internet.i will go to some home brewing store in my city nyc,thanks for the information.
cheers johnny

vadimgo 02-10-2009 03:54 PM

Rick,

The description of the process you gave is very good one.
I am trying to imagine doinmg that on a boat... In my house I do not have any space constrains, but once in a while wife complain about the bottles, buckets etc. in the wrong places.
I do not know how expensive is the beer "in the islands" but I dout it would justify getting a bigger boat.

Then there is the problem of water, both for cleaning the vessels, (both bottles and fermenting buckets) and the idea of boiling 5 gallons of worth on the boat stove...
The bottling could be avoided if you stick with the ales "British style", flat pumped or poured into glass (and there are some very decent ales suitable for this treatment) or by using CO2 carbonation units for the whole quantity.

It is doable but does it worth it?
I brew my beer at home because I like it and my calculations are it is not considerably cheaper than decent quality store beer. Maybe, if you control your costs and compare the final product to Bud, it makes sence $$wise, but when you add the boatlife realities...

mgmhead 02-10-2009 04:09 PM

Aw heck, just reading this forum has made me thirsty ... think I'll have a Yuengling Lager.

MGM

vadimgo 02-10-2009 04:10 PM

the way I see it, there are 2 opposite options.

You have a decent amount of space on your boat (say, cat over 45 ft.) and with some thinkering, it could be set as a bar with dedicated insulated space for beer fermenting and serving. I would still skip bottling (no bottle conditioned ales). Either simple pump or more complicated CO2 carbonation.
(COST IS NOT AN ISSUE, QUALITY ENTERTAINMENT IS)

If the space is limited, with some determinaion, I would guess, it is still possible to make drinkable brew from kit, maybe even skipping secondary fermenter (less washing, only one pot for boiling, one bucket for fermenting) and drink it fast...
I would love to hear about the results from practical experience since I do not intent to try it myself any time soon.

MacGyverRI 02-10-2009 05:15 PM

I make Wine from concentrate kits, super easy and 2 6 gal. plastic pails is all the room you need. I use a 6 gal Carboy bottle (fermenting) and a pail w/ spigot for racking and bottling.

Shaking it around is normal for making wines, especially when adding Yeast nutrients.

I also play w/ ingredients added to the wines and have made Blueberry Merlot, Cherry Merlot, Cherry Chardonnay, Crenshaw melon. I also make Pistachio Cream Liquor, Walnut Liquor, Cranberry Liquor that I can't make fast enough. The wines must be pretty good since people even want to buy them for $10-15+ a bottle.

Tips;
If you're doing Dry reds, add 5 whole nutmegs broken in 2-4+ pieces along w/ the Oak powder or chips for a better finish.

Chardonnay's? add 2 lbs. golden raw cane sugar ("Sugar in the Raw" is one brand) for a better Buttery finish.

Bootlegger, it's not just a boat name.... :cool:

Ricemarket 03-10-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AjariBonten (Post 446087)
I would think the constant agitation would not be good for the brewing process

I've done this at home, but on a boat i'm not sure this would be a good idea!!

WouldaShoulda 03-10-2009 01:41 PM

I'll sell you a home brewing kit for $80.

Oh, I'm sorry , you want the marine brewing kit.

That will be $280!! ;)