Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2003

mark71565 is on a distinguished road
Vegetarian live aboard

Ahoy everyone!

I converted to a vegetarian lifestyle back in 1995 (the reasons are many) and discovered that not only did I save money... nearly $10,000 annually... duties in the kitchen got easier as well. Since I am not living onboard yet (I haven''t even purchased on a boat yet) I still find myself thinking about it daily, and the challenges I will deal with in the galley.

Currently, I am trying to utilize my home kitchen as a training ground for myself. At the present, frozen Morningstar Farms dinners are a mainstay for me. They are cheap and microwavable. So, I am wondering, what kind of freezer I should go with... as well as a marine microwave, etc.

Pasta, rice, etc., are also a main staple of mine, and so I''ll need dry strorage as well, eh?

Well, if there are any other veggie sailors out there, drop me a line. I''d like to make new friends!

Thanks...
Mark
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Vegetarian live aboard

Hi Mark,

I have been an ovo-lacto vegetarian since 1968. It is not hard to cruise and be a vegetarian and unless you want cold drinks, you really don''t need an icebox. Since I mostly drink water, I can by without an icebox but the Admiral prefers her drinks chilled.

I suggest that you read Annie Hill''s book ''Voyaging on a Small Income''. Anne is an omnivore when ashore but becomes a vegetarian when cruising because of cost and ease of storage. She has an excellent discussion of the subject.

It is pretty easy to store dried grains, fruits, legumes, and pastas, eggs, and fresh and canned vegetables. Properly stored there are a lot of fresh vegetables that will last 3 or 4 weeks or more which is most of the way across the Atlantic in a fast boat.

To me refrigeration is the one item on board that I hear about the most problems with. If you can live without refrigeration your electrical consumption or engine run times can drop tremendously. That means that you can get by with less fuel.

Feel free to email me since you have not posted your email and therefore I can''t email you.

Jeff

Old 03-07-2003

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road
Vegetarian live aboard

Mark71565,

While not a vegetarian myself, I read your post with interest. With all due respect, how could you save $10K annually by avoiding meat? That''s $27 per day.

Just trying to understand...

Regards,
Duane
Old 03-07-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Vegetarian live aboard

I wondered about that myself. If you eat out a lot and eat a lot of prepared foods, then comparing being an omnivore to being a vegetarian, there can be big savings on food, perhaps as much as a 50% savings, but if you prepare your own meals, the savings are far less significant.

Our weekly grocery bill including household supplies for two people is roughly something under $100 per week. On top of that we eat out or order out maybe half a dozen times a month plus I get my lunch most days at ''Subways''. We eat comparatively little prepared foods. I have no idea how that compares with someone in the Annapolis area who eats meat.

Jeff
Old 03-07-2003

tanzer is on a distinguished road
Vegetarian live aboard

I put together a few recipies for foods that do not need refrigeration. These are non-meat recipies and are intended as a way to understand how to start provisioning without refrigeration.

http://www.cruisenews.net/recipes/
Old 03-08-2003

Vegetarian live aboard

Hi everybody...

Thanks for the replies. Oh, I thought my email was public on this site? Anyhow, anyone that wants to email me personally can reach me at mark71565@yahoo.com.

Thanks for the non-refrigeration tip. I''ll have to take that into consideration and re-evaluate my thinking when it comes to actually buying the boat. I''m still shopping around.

As far as saving $10K a year... I was talking about what it was costing me before I became a vegetarian compared to what it cost me after switching to the meatless diet. I never really ate out all that much before... and now I hardly ever eat out, although in St. Louis there''s a really nice vegetarian resturant that I sometimes frequent if I''m in the area. But since I just recently moved about 2 hours away from St. Louis, I rarely go there anymore.

As far saving money, I just normally go to Sam''s Club and buy in bulk... rice, pasta, noodles, etc... plus I grow my own food since I usually grow a small garden during the spring and summer months (this save alot of money)... but of course, if I go to the live aboard lifestyle, I''ll have to forgo on the garden... unless I grow me a "wee orchard" like Kevin Costner did in Waterworld. Hahahahaha!

I would really like to make friends with any vegetarian that is currently living aboard. Any tips are greatly appreciated. And much thanks in advance.

Mark
Old 03-10-2003

fourknots is on a distinguished road
Vegetarian live aboard

We have lived aboard without refrigeration for years - I don''t miss it. We are mostly vegetarians and getting more so all the time.

About the garden. My teenage son is homeschooled aboard and this year''s science project is hydroponics aboard. He''s planning on a small 5-bucket garden using solar power to run the small pump. Between that and sprouts, you can get quite a bit of your veg. needs. We should know more about its practicality this summer.
Old 03-10-2003

Vegetarian live aboard

Hi 4knots...

Wow, that science project sounds interesting. Not too far off from my little "waterworld" pun, eh? I would be very interested in learning how it goes.

Since I live near Alton, Illinois (north of St. Louis), on the Mississippi, I was thinking about the Marina in Alton. It is fairly reaonable (cost wise)... and there are many islands in the river where one can "forage." This may sound crazy, but for the past many years I have made a hobby of "Stalking Wild Edibles." Hahaha! The Peterson Guide to Edible Plants of North America is indespensible!

Once again, thanks for the input and keep me posted on how the onboard garden goes this summer!

Yours,
Mark
Old 03-12-2003

eryka32 is on a distinguished road
Vegetarian live aboard

Hi Mark, I agreed with everything Jeff said. We''re also long-term vegetarians who decided not to put up with the additional cost/hassle of mechanical refrig. We found almost exactly the same things that Jeff is ssaying, right down to our total cost (we''re also in the Annapolis area) A couple more thoughts if you''re "practicing" in your present land-based kitchen.

When we gave up the house and moved aboard, we found the biggest issues to be storage space, limited power, storage space, breakable things, storage space, spoilage, storage space, corrosion, and storage space.

While bulk food purchases of whole grains, beans are cheap, they may give you problems if you try to store them long-term. The humid boat environment allows those lovely little weevils and other critters to hatch in your flour. And you probably don''t have the space to store large quantities anyway. If you''re going to try, Break your big purchases into smaller portions to store so if one goes bad you don''t affect the whole lot. Nothing in cardboard; transfer it to plastic cannisters or ziplocs. If you have access to a freezer or a hard winter, hard freeze for about a week kills the eggs. The tropical solution is to put bay leaves in with the package (I don''t think this is 100% effective, tho) We take advantage of advances in packaging and buy a lot of individual-servings of things, as are made for school lunches or whatever. Also very small cans, NOT the large economy size unless you''re feeding a crowd. Seems more expensive at first but not if half of a big can goes bad before you can use it. And even if not, you end up eating very old food.

Even if you''re going to be living in a marina so that power availability isn''t an issue, think hard about your small electric kitchen gadgets (storage space, counter space, susceptibility to corrosion or breakage). Think simple, think flexible. You don''t want anything that doesn''t earn its storage space by being able to do many jobs reliably. We replaced a food processer with a set of good knives, and when anyone asks me if I have a bread machine, I hold up both hands and wiggle my fingers.

I''m surrently writing an article for a new-age-y magazine about the unexpected benefits of having to simplify our kitchen when we moved aboard (think "The Zen of Veggie Chopping" and you get the idea.) It''s really meant for people living on land, but you might be able to invert some of the ideas to use in your situation. I''ll email you a link when it''s published, if you''d like.
Old 03-13-2003

Vegetarian live aboard

Hi eryka32,

Thanks for that very informative post! You all are probably right about the storage space... since I doubt I''ll be able to afford anything over 40''. But... what do you do about drinks? I live on water, juice, and milk.

Thanks
Mark
mark71565@yahoo.com