SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Provisioning (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/)
-   -   Provisioning and the Healthy Sailor (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/64849-provisioning-healthy-sailor.html)

Yofy 05-19-2010 06:32 AM

Provisioning and the Healthy Sailor

After reading a few quieries here and considering we've been living aboard for over 20 years, this month I decided to write a blog on provisioning. Along with sharing our experience and offering some tips, I've also included our complete dry goods provisioning list.

Perhaps there will be some useful ideas for those who are looking for provisioning suggestions.

Robyn

eryka 05-19-2010 06:54 AM

Nice read, Robyn. Of course, everyone's list is highly personal but I found it fun to compare your choice of staples with ours - and like you, spices are a necessity. Sometimes I think we have almost as much volume of spices, sauces, and condiments as we have of protein staples!

Broomfondle 05-19-2010 01:23 PM

That is so organised. *long, deep sigh* I tend to leave it too late then rush round the store grabbing anything that looks interesting and hope for the best.
I'm sure your way is better.

Yofy 05-20-2010 05:18 AM

yes, eryka, everyone's provisioning lists change acording to personal tastes. Years ago when we left to go cruising the first time, I needed to compile some sort of list of what we need to sock up on. I found checking out other people's lists to be a really good source of ideas...kind of a starting point. I do think that some basics are important for everybody though.

Broomfondle, I know exactly what you mean. Provisioning can be a chore. Living aboard does mean that we have food onboard at all times. And after our first year of cruising, I just kept up the habit of keeping a good back up of basics on board at all times.

rebelheart 08-16-2010 06:01 PM

One of the biggest benefits I've found to switching out my food to "eating clean" is that it works really well with living aboard and sailing. Basic ingredients, minimal processed foods, fresh and local as often as you can, all work great on a boat. We generate a lot less trash too. Here's some of the stuff that's been working great for us:

- lentils in bulk for... you guessed it... lentil soup.
- steel coat oats. with a little cinnamon for breakfast.
- (raw, uncooked / unsalted )almonds and prunes as snack food.
- fresh veggies and fruit. a lot of things like grapefruit last for weeks and as long as you're flexible and buy whatever's in bulk and local it's pretty cheap.
- fish. duh :-)
- whey protein in tubs because i can't shake my old weight lifting habits!

silverlining37 12-12-2010 07:02 PM

Anyone have any experience with dehydrated foods, as in survival mode?

We are outfitting our vessel to get gone when the illegals and parasites attack, when these Liberals finally drive our dollar down to nothing.

Any survival sailors out there? Let's share some info.

hackandhue 12-12-2010 08:50 PM

there is always this: Practical Cruising - Grow Food on Your Boat | YachtPals.com
grow it on your boat.

tdw 12-12-2010 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverlining37 (Post 676184)

We are outfitting our vessel to get gone when the illegals and parasites attack, when these Liberals finally drive our dollar down to nothing.

oh dear .... oh deary deary me ....

sailingdog 12-13-2010 06:13 AM

If you're going to use dehydrated foods, you best have a watermaker aboard.. They use a fair amount of water.
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverlining37 (Post 676184)

bselly 12-13-2010 04:46 PM

When the illegals attack....

Check out Best Home Food Free Guide Info Easy Help 1 Year Supply to buy massive amounts of dehydrated food. They sell a "liberty unit"(food for 1 man for 1 year) for about $1600. I have a friend who bought one, and it tastes pretty good, though he usually mixes in some fresh ingredients with the dehydrated stuff. If you buy one, they give you big discounts on water filters etc...