Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2010

ekenna is on a distinguished road
dehydration while cruising causes conspitation

Sorry if the topic offends but I have a real problem with this. When ever we are sailing on the boat I always get a dry mouth. Even though I try to drink a lot of water. I think it has a lot to do with that fact that the wind is blowing. Do other people experience this? do you have any ideas? My bowel habits are touchy as it is and I already take metamucil daily but after 1 or 2 days I am conspitated and we are planning a 2 week cruise shortly. I need a solution.
Old 06-04-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
water, plenty of it, cut the caffeine and alcohol out.
fresh veggies, fresh fruits and whole grain breads and fiber rich snacks..not the processed stuff

should do well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2010

I do not drink alcohol, coffee, or soda only water. and I like granola bars but I have found I need to drink a lot of water with them. I am lite on the veggies and fruits.
Old 06-04-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
I find that water alone doesn't do it and make sure to keep electrolytes (salt) in balance too. That helps you retain the water; don't know if that would assist your system. We like to mix Gatorade about 1/2 strength and sip on a bottle of it all day. If you aren't peeing about every couple of hours (distracting though that may be!) you may still not be getting enough water.
Old 06-04-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
The wind and the sun reflecting off the water and sails will dehyrdate you quickly. You are also probably eating a slightly different diet. I might suggest yogurt. On my three trips to Turkey, yogurt with honey and nuts was a staple for breakfast. That combined with a rule that anytime that anyone went below they came back with water resulted in a healthy crew. Adding iced tea mix or a powdered gastrolyte to the water helps with the flavour. Increasing your fibre intake, as mentioned earlier, will also help.

I also recommend to my crews that they check their urine after using the head. If it starts to smell and gets darker, you are dehydrating. Severe dehydration can be checked with a skin tent test on the back of your hand.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)

Last edited by jackdale; 06-04-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-04-2010

sailor50 is on a distinguished road
I find hard candies help to salivate the mouth, then you have to drink water to get the sugar off the teeth. Serves two purposes.
Old 06-04-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Beans and rice!

Try it tonight, just go out and get yourself some beans and some rice and eat them.

You'll know by tomorrow if it is going to work.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-04-2010

Michael K is on a distinguished road
Is that why you call yourself Wind Magic?
Old 06-04-2010

jgeissinger is on a distinguished road
Dehydration

You take a laxative every day and wonder why you're dehydrated!? You wonder why you get constipated if you don't take it or do anything physical or outdoors? You are physically dependent on the Metamucil, which is a laxative not meant for continuous use, not just a fiber. You need medical advice, not sailing advice.

Last edited by jgeissinger; 06-04-2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-05-2010

While I do not deny your claim about being adicted to metamucil I think there is something else going on here. (BTW my doctor recommended the metamucil). My understanding is you are supposed to drink 2 liters of water a day. Well I just checked and the bottled water we were drinking is .5 liter a bottle. On memorial day from 6:45 am (woke up) to about 3 pm (left the boat) I downed 4 of these which is 2 liters. I think I downed 4 the down before from 11 am (when we got on the boat) to about 9:00 pm (when we went to sleep) I had additional water once we got home around 6 but clearly the 2 liters was not enough.

I think wind is a factor. Heat is another is was in the 90s on memorial day. Wind's evaporative effect is well documented and high heat would cause more perspiration. So maybe the guideline needs to be something like add 1 liter per 10 degrees over 70F and 1 liter per 5 knots above 10?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.