Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickMick View Post
on more serious note, cans of tuna fish will keep for who knows how long... the trick is to have some mayo w/o a fridge. i keep an eye out for places that have the individual packets of mayo that need no cold... same with ketchup... grab a piece of celery and viola!
Real mayonnaise does not need to be refrigerated as long as it does not come into any contact with other foods. The same is true for ketchup and mustard. Eggs do not need refrigeration either.

I would suggest getting a pressure cooker and try canning some of your own foods. We just started canning with our pressure cooker, and so far we have canned tomatoes, salsa, peaches, and chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2010

dbrimm is on a distinguished road
We had good luck with finding very small 2-4 ounce jars of mayo for $.50-$1/ea. We had problems with packets of condiments not aging well on the boat and breaking, bursting, etc.. yuk.
Old 09-23-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by remetau View Post
Real mayonnaise does not need to be refrigerated as long as it does not come into any contact with other foods. The same is true for ketchup and mustard. Eggs do not need refrigeration either.

I would suggest getting a pressure cooker and try canning some of your own foods. We just started canning with our pressure cooker, and so far we have canned tomatoes, salsa, peaches, and chicken.
do you keep eggs outside of your fridge? while ive read they will keep, even w/o icebox they need a constant temp... and i generally just keep my boat open all the time hence significant swings...is that wrong?

ketchup i agee, but it gets that blackish gunky stuff which just sicks me out. im cool with the mustard. i use mayo very sparingly--you may be right, but it would take me a year to go through a jar.

i like the canning idea, but it seems you would need a BIG pressure cooker? as i usually ( ) cook for one, i dont know if i could can in one of these?

Fagor "Elite" Pressure Cooker, 4 Qt. - Pressure Cookers Cookware - Kitchen - Macy's

oh, ps, ive also read that eggs will keep indef if coated w/vasaline? again, im very particular about how and how often ill eat eggs so its not much of an issue for me--just curious

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture

Last edited by QuickMick; 09-23-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-23-2010

herocomplex is on a distinguished road
I've purchased freeze dried foods for long-term food storage from Wholesale Ingredients to the Food Service Industry, Honeyville Food Products. Premium Corn, Flour, Whole Grains, Sugar and more. . You'd be surprised what you can get freeze-dried. That stuff will keep 10-15 years. If you have a food dehydrator (they're dirt cheap now) you can dry your own vegetables and meats. If you dry the vegetables in decent sized chunks they rehydrate SO much closer to the real thing. You'll be amazed.
Old 09-23-2010

herocomplex is on a distinguished road
Quote:
do you keep eggs outside of your fridge? while ive read they will keep, even w/o icebox they need a constant temp... and i generally just keep my boat open all the time hence significant swings...is that wrong?
Heck, the chicken keeps the eggs around for a week or two before she has enough to sit on and start the development process. Even in summer.

The tip to keeping fruits and vegetable is not to refrigerate them in the first place. Once they've been refrigerated, they need to stay refrigerated.

Look into curing or fermenting your own meat. It's a fascinating process. Homemade sauerkraut and kim-chi are also amazing and keep well without refrigeration.
Old 09-23-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
i might even start my own tannery... lol j/k

on an even less serious note.... these guys are just wacky

Hot Tub Shabu Shabu : Food Jammers : Cooking Channel

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 09-23-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We typically keep our eggs out for around a week or two, but have gone about a month without doing anything to them. This is the Florida Keys during the summer.

Quote:
i like the canning idea, but it seems you would need a BIG pressure cooker? as i usually ( ) cook for one, i dont know if i could can in one of these?
We use an 8 qt cooker: Manttra Inc-the widest range of pressure cookers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-23-2010
MOI

MiVelero is on a distinguished road
... the trick is to have some mayo w/o a fridge. i keep an eye out for places that have the individual packets of mayo that need no cold... same with ketchup...

We have never kept mayo or ketchup in the fridge(cold), not in the boat or at home. I've got mayo now maybe 10 months on the boat and still tastes great.
It's like a biological time bomb...It is a myth.
You're more likely to get food poisoning from contaminated meat or veggies than the mayo.

Now, homemade mayo with unpasturized eggs... that is a different story.
Comercial mayo is ok.

“I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning how to sail my ship.”
Louisa May Alcott
Old 09-23-2010

casioqv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Eggs do not need refrigeration if you eat them within a few weeks. It's very unusual in the United States that eggs are sold refrigerated- in most countries they're sold and stored on shelves with no refrigeration.

Keep in mind what an egg is- once laid by a chicken, it needs to remain unspoiled without refrigeration for 1-2 weeks, before enough eggs build up that the chicken begins to sit on it and incubate it.

If you're bringing them for a cruising trip, it's best to get fresh unwashed eggs straight from the farm because:
(1) Washing removes a protective coating which helps keep them from spoiling
(2) Eggs in the store could already be pretty old before you buy them

I love bringing eggs for sailing food, but I often have trouble keeping them from breaking in rough seas.
Old 09-23-2010
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
yoo can find posts online to can just about everything the size of cooker you have just limits the size of jar you can in just have to follow guidelines and make sure you can close lid on cooker with canning jars standing up inside i can use 1 pint jars in my 4 qt cooker the most important is time and pressure at least 12 lbs pressure mirro makes one that does 5-10-15 pressures