Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2010

MacGyverRI is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickMick View Post

oh, ps, ive also read that eggs will keep indef if coated w/vasaline? again, im very particular about how and how often ill eat eggs so its not much of an issue for me--just curious
Coating eggs with mineral oil is less messy than Vaseline. Mineral oil is edible and won't go rancid like Corn or Olive oils.

They sell a plastic egg carrier in sporting goods/camping stores, it allows you to turn the eggs over every few days and they won't spoil as fast. If eggs are left sitting on 1 end, they spoil faster, so that carrier makes it easier to turn them.

As far as canning goes, get "Ball's blue book", it tells you the correct procedures to follow (like newhaul said, it's very important). Most fruits and veggies can be simply water bath processed. Meats and seafood's MUST be pressure canned for the proper times or you can kill someone w/ Botulism.

I've done many relish's and Jams over the yrs. w/ the water bath method, but not the pressure method. So, I just got a Presto 4 qt. Stainless steel pressure cooker to try and do some meats etc.. (WalMart has it online only, w/ "ship it to store" free shipping)

If you like my posts, or they were helpful, please click the "scales" icon on top right to add Rep points.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2010
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
National Center for Home Food Preservation | Canning FAQs heres a good site to reference

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-30-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyverRI View Post
Coating eggs with mineral oil is less messy than Vaseline. Mineral oil is edible and won't go rancid like Corn or Olive oils.
Coating eggs is really just to seal them since the shells are porous. From what I've read, it's best to seal them pretty-much straight after laying. I don't know how you do that these days, but I'm guessing that the stock in most supermarkets hasn't taken too long to get there from the farm.

You could always pack lean beef-steak/pork/lamb in salt like they used to in the "good old days" - rinse off in salt water to rehydrate before frying.
Old 09-30-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The key to keeping mayo without refrigeration is to always use clean utensils with it... that helps reduce the chance of contaminating the mayo with bacteria or mold. It is generally acidic enough to not require refrigeration to stay unspoiled, if it is not contaminated with bacteria or mold.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-30-2010
Old Gaffer

FishSticks is on a distinguished road
Stick with the sardines. Here's my shipmate, age 94, who eats a can a day. And a bit of dark chocolate for dessert.

Old 09-30-2010
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
The key to keeping mayo without refrigeration is to always use clean utensils with it...
We use mayo that comes in a squeeze bottle, works great. Just do not touch the top of the bottle to anything, and we have kept it aboard all summer with no issues.
Old 09-30-2010
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Coating eggs is really just to seal them since the shells are porous. From what I've read, it's best to seal them pretty-much straight after laying. I don't know how you do that these days, but I'm guessing that the stock in most supermarkets hasn't taken too long to get there from the farm.
Ask around and find a local small farm that sells them. We have them all over here in the PNW, all though few advertise as they are typically just small part time operations.

Getting them before they are refrigerated is important to, for maximum life, and preferably not washed (not sure if that was mentioned yet).
Old 09-30-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishSticks View Post
Stick with the sardines. Here's my shipmate, age 94, who eats a can a day. And a bit of dark chocolate for dessert.

Tinned sardines...indeed tinned fish in general....one of the few tinned foods I really enjoy eating. More in salads and on sandwiches than for a main course but not bad.

Mind you when available give me fresh sardines, grilled, mmmmmmmmmm yummy.

Hey..I was going to say I hope I look that good at 94....then the Wombet reminded me that I didn't look that good at 54.....ouch !!

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 09-30-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-30-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderGuy View Post
We use mayo that comes in a squeeze bottle, works great. Just do not touch the top of the bottle to anything, and we have kept it aboard all summer with no issues.
Another good option.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-30-2010

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by casioqv View Post
It's very unusual in the United States that eggs are sold refrigerated
I have only been to the US once to fetch my boat but I have to say this surprises me. In all of San Diego, we were unable to find eggs in the stores that were not refrigerated. We eventually found a local resident who took us to a small local producer who sold us unrefrigerated eggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyverRI
Coating eggs with mineral oil is less messy than Vaseline.
It doesn't take much Vaseline. We take a small amount, rub it into our palms then rub the eggs, there is never any mess or residual Vaseline on the shells, just a shiny shell. And with turning every week, we have kept eggs in the tropics for 6 weeks or more.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke