SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Provisioning (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/)
-   -   Can me! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/68512-can-me.html)

SailingWebGuy 09-23-2010 01:39 PM

Can me!

Hello!

So I'm experimenting with food items to stock my boat. I'm looking for food on the cheap that stores well (no refridge yet). I've just completed round one of testing Sardines...I guess I could live off them :(

Does anyone have suggestions?

NCountry 09-23-2010 01:45 PM

Bean Dip will store almost indefinately as will just about any form of hot sauce. Spread a little on a flour tortilla (also stores well) dump on some hot sauce and eat.
ps... DO NOT USE THIS TO TRY AND IMPRESS ANYONE WITH YOUR COOKING SKILLS!

SlowButSteady 09-23-2010 01:51 PM

Peanut butter and honey. Protein, oil, simple carbs. Spread a little on tortillas or crackers and ya got a meal.

SailingWebGuy 09-23-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCountry (Post 647301)
Bean Dip will store almost indefinately as will just about any form of hot sauce. Spread a little on a flour tortilla (also stores well) dump on some hot sauce and eat.
ps... DO NOT USE THIS TO TRY AND IMPRESS ANYONE WITH YOUR COOKING SKILLS!

So you're saying don't credit NCountry when I make it for guests?? Haha!

Thanks for the tip! I'm gonna go pick some up and give it a try.

SailingWebGuy 09-23-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowButSteady (Post 647304)
Peanut butter and honey. Protein, oil, simple carbs. Spread a little on tortillas or crackers and ya got a meal.

Hmm...two of my favs. Thanks a ton!

deniseO30 09-23-2010 02:05 PM

canned spam was found in the pyramids rumor has it....

QuickMick 09-23-2010 02:16 PM

oddly, to wean cannibals from their lust for human flesh, researchers found that the cannibals found spam to be an adequate substitue.
ok ok ill 'can it,' but it just might be true...

Turning to Theroux's Happy Isles (1992), we find the following:

It was a theory of mine that former cannibals of Oceania now feasted on Spam because Spam came the nearest to approximating the porky taste of human flesh. ‘Long pig’ as they called a cooked human being in much of Melanesia. It was a fact that the people-eaters of the Pacific had all evolved, or perhaps degenerated, into Spam-eaters. And in the absence of Spam they settled for corned beef, which also had a corpsy flavor.

dbrimm 09-23-2010 02:17 PM

Some non-perishable staples for the wife and I while cruising in the Caribbean were: Mac & Cheese with canned tuna or chicken, canned roast-beef with beans and/or rice, and simple homemade bread with peanut butter, Nutella, etc. We also liked to make curry on a regular basis and most (if not all) the ingredients can be canned.

QuickMick 09-23-2010 02:18 PM

on more serious note, cans of tuna fish will keep for who knows how long... the trick is to have some mayo w/o a fridge. i keep an eye out for places that have the individual packets of mayo that need no cold... same with ketchup... grab a piece of celery and viola!

i also use olive oil as a sub. for pretty much anything i would use butter for. if you have the means to heat/boil H20 some of the 'soup in a cup' stuff isnt bad, and i keep plenty of campbells in the larder. there was a thread around here about the MRE stuff, but I havent tried it.

apples seem to keep well, chocolate not so much... now ive installed the Magma, I tend to buy fresh every day for that day and do it all over again.

T37Chef 09-23-2010 02:33 PM

Why limit your self to canned foods, how about dried and preserved foods. Lots a meats are dried or vacuum packed that will last a long time until opened, and even then they last several days. Of course theres pastas, Barilla Pasta even has a dried tortellini thats not bad. You can find many soups, good ones in fact, that only need to be re-hydrated and heated. Dare I say MRE's?