Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2003

jbarros is on a distinguished road
Small boat cooking

hi all,

I''ve got a small (19'') sloop I''m trying to make into a decent weekender for the islands. This means some way to heat food and water for tea/coffee/showers etc. I was looking at the small single burner gimbled stoves, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them, or could suggest a better alternative. Thanks.

-- James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2003
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Small boat cooking

Have you thought of using a camping stove? For showers, get a sunshower.

Fair winds,
John
Old 04-29-2003

Viceroy is on a distinguished road
Small boat cooking

A single "Origo" burner (alcohol fuel) is about as efficient, safe and idiot proof as you can find. After ten years of use, its stainless steel construction, portability and all around simiplicity, it has proven the best buy I''ve ever made for the boat. It can be purchased with optional gimble and clamping fiddles. It is "pricy" at the outset but will give years of trouble-free service. Cheers, Richard.
Old 04-30-2003

jbarros is on a distinguished road
Small boat cooking

Pbreezer, I''ve got the sunshower, but sometimes I dont have the sun, so I figgured I''d just heat some water on the stove and use that. Sorry for the misunderstanding. As for using a camping stove, are those cool? I have (access to) a little coleman, but I was worried about trying to use it in a rocking boat. At 19'', My Josie isnt the most stable contraption on the water. They still work out ok for you?

Viceroy, I''ll definatley take a look at the Origo. Just out of curiosity, Why Alcohal, as opposed to LPG, etc?

Thanks both for your advice.

-- James
Old 04-30-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Small boat cooking

Alcohol fumes are lighter than air and so do not collect in the bilge where they can explode. Alcohol fires can be extinguished with water rather than a fire estiguisher. Alcohol fumes do *not* leak at high pressure quickly reaching an explosive mixture.

Old 04-30-2003
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Small boat cooking

Actually, I only use the stove when docked or anchored. I have an Origo stove in the boat already, but find the campstove to be more convienent. Not sure what kind of waters you are sailing in, nor for how long at one time. I daysail and stay over on my boat, so don''t really use a stove while underway. If you were going to use one underway, the alcohol one would be much safer.

Fair winds,
John
Old 05-08-2003

maxcontax is on a distinguished road
Small boat cooking

My C-22 came with a hotel-buffet style butane single burner stove, available at Walmart--it works really well. Buy aerosol-type cans of butane, cooks hot and is quite compact, no fuel jug to worry about. Then I put a board with edges across the cockpit seats and have a portable camping BBQ on it. You can slide the board towards the hatchway out of the wind, can BBQ on a rainy day with a tarp over the boom protecting the cockpit. It runs on 1 lb propane bottles that store easily. I have done some pretty elegant meals on this: the BBQ is good for putting a griddle on for things like pancakes and eggs, and you are not cooking down below. If you are interested in this BBQ setup send your email to maxcontax@yahoo.com
Old 05-11-2003

namaste04 is on a distinguished road
Small boat cooking

A few things we learned cruising on our 30-footer (she had a 2-burner Origo alcohol stove):

1) Magna Propane Grill on the stern rail!!!!!!! We cooked almost every dinner there.

2) Before you leave home for the weekend, "prep" some meals. I would chop up veggies for coleslaw or salad, put them in a ziplock bag, and make dressing in a jar to mix on board. I''d also put meat or chicken in ziplock bags with marinade and FREEZE them at home. I''d pre-chop anything messy I might need like onions or garlic. I would pre-make potato salad or pasta salad at home. Then when it was time to go sailing I would put it all in one of those soft-sided coolers, get a block of ice on the way to the boat, and load it all into the icebox (if you don''t have an icebox maybe bring along a real, hard-sided cooler and lash it below?). The meat/chicken would thaw slowly and be ready for grilling the next day (or that day if not kept right next to the ice). It made mealitimes super easy and we were still able to have really good, gourmet meals aboard. I would grill extra meat the first night and then for lunch the next day, chop it up and serve with the pasta salad leftovers. Yum. I rarely used the stove below, just for coffee/hot water in the morning and occasionally for rice or pasta or pancakes. Oh, and for heating wash-up water. You could do all this on a Magma Propane Grill, though: it has a holder for pots and pans.

3) Get an insulated pump-top thermos. We fill it with hot water each morning and then have it available for tea, cocoa, or "cuppa-soups" all day, as well as washing up.

4) Zip-lock bags rule on board. For leftovers, etc.

Have fun!
Stacey
Old 05-14-2003

lauralee is on a distinguished road
Small boat cooking

For a hot shower check out this link for an inexpensive propane alternative. http://www.zodi.com/T6170.html
Sometimes you can find these on ebay. Instant hot water!

We use the propane Magma grill for most of our cooking, but have used a cheap butane portable stove, and also an alchohol stove. Both worked fine, but took longer to heat up than the grill. When it''s raining you don''t want to be standing outside to grill something!

Have fun!
Old 05-14-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
Small boat cooking

Hey Lauralee.

I see you found this great source of hot water too. I purchased one of the "Hot Taps" and used it during my last offshore trip. I''ll never go back to a solar water bag! (Well, maybe if I run out of propane ;^)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.