Boat Ovens - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 Old 12-21-2010

I vote for the cast iron dutch oven. You can even take it the beach and use it on an open fire - throw hot coal under it and a few hot coals on the lid (lid has a lip designed to hold hot coal and PRESTO, you have a great oven.
Also works on a stove, but you have to deal with the feet. The one I have has the feet cut down to just small nubs (so on the beach i have to dig a small pit)

Cy
S/V Music
MASON 44

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 12-22-2010
islander bahama 24

never said i wanted it for inside cabin would be just fine on deck or on the beach doesn't require any outside plumbing uses disposable tanks and the thread was originally about making a BBQ grill into an oven so on deck not in cabin. it looks like Good replacement for my gasoline Coleman beach/camp stove. in cabin requires attentiveness while cooking and ventilation for the cooking appliance. you look at a propane stove made for boats or RVs you will see almost identical warnings about ventilation and not safe for comfort heating. as far as the dutch oven its a great idea just asking how many people have dealt extensively with cast iron in a marine saltwater environment i find that i have to wash the rust out before each use regardless of oiling and seasoning. also many places i go there are no camp fires allowed.

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 38 Old 12-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
how many people have dealt extensively with cast iron in a marine saltwater environment i find that i have to wash the rust out before each use regardless of oiling and seasoning.
I recall a discussion on this topic a couple of years ago in a thread about cookware for boats. I have a cast iron skillet & griddle aboard and have no issues with it rusting after a light oiling. Using it more often than not helps.

Cheers,
Shawn

S/V Windgeist
1982 Tartan 37C

Last edited by T37Chef; 12-22-2010 at 09:01 AM.
post #34 of 38 Old 12-27-2010
new and proud of it

Send a message via Yahoo to w1651
post #35 of 38 Old 03-20-2011

There is a site (spiritburner.com) for stove buffs that discusses stovetop baking at length. Here are some of their threads on the subject, describing a stove from the middle east sold by one of their members for $25 plus shipping:

- Classic Camp Stoves - Powered by FusionBB

post #36 of 38 Old 11-07-2012
Sailing on Chance

Send a message via Skype™ to KelleyG
Re: Boat Ovens

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I saw that unit at the Bass Pro Shop and was really considering it, after some further research found this in the manual:

4. For OUTDOOR use only. Do
NOT use in a building, garage
or any other enclosed area. Do
NOT use in or on recreational
vehicles or boats. NEVER use this
appliance as a heater.

See here: Outdoor Camp Oven 2 Burner Range and Stove - Camp Chef - The Way to Cook Outdoors
I know this is an old thread, but I actually just talked to the manufacturer and they told me the reason they say it's not for boat use is that it could tip over. If the unit is mounted in some way she said it would be fine. She couldn't "officially" recommend I do this, but said it would be fine.

Kelley
Sailing Chance
tomperanteau likes this.
post #37 of 38 Old 09-18-2013
Banned

My favorite is a toaster oven. the convection kind. It's just big enough for most things, and can work on inverter.
That's just me.
I've made many favorite dishes and deserts in mine.
Too good!
post #38 of 38 Old 09-18-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

on th mooring i used my oven--out here i do not. too hot to use that thang.....
same with pressure cooker.
i wont have toaster ovens and such need a marina to use items--not practical, as i am only in marinas for furycame season--i prefer anchored out.
bwalker42 likes this.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.