Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
My wife Laurie uses our vac packer a lot and she has been through a couple of them. Most are cheap throwaway type machines with no parts available, and little service. She has been using a "VacUpack" now for several years and it is re-buildable with great phone support should you need it. She says they are available on Ebay and direct from vacupack.com . No affiliation.
We pack all kinds of stuff with it: parts, grains, TP, cheese, meat, fresh lemon and lime juice ice cubes, etc. We put anything with sharp edges in heavy paper bags inside the vac bag to prevent rubbing and losing the seal (works great for prawns that we catch. We freeze the whole tails- sharp pokers). Get a good one, if you find that you don't use it much you can re-sell it on Ebay.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2011

aquaman9 is on a distinguished road
The biggest problem I have is that about everything such as meat and fish must be frozen before I can pack it. Mine came from costCo and yes the bags do cost to much. If you find one that can bag without freezing first please post the info.
Old 02-02-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaman9 View Post
The biggest problem I have is that about everything such as meat and fish must be frozen before I can pack it. Mine came from costCo and yes the bags do cost to much. If you find one that can bag without freezing first please post the info.
Most of the vacuum sealers I've used don't require the food be frozen first. That's kind of the whole point of having a vacuum sealer, so you can vacuum seal the food before freezing it, so that you don't freezer burn the food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-02-2011
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Quote:
The biggest problem I have is that about everything such as meat and fish must be frozen before I can pack it.
That's opposite of my experience too. Matter of fact, I get worse results when sealing frozen meats over unfrozen. The frozen meats have hard rough edges. The unfrozen meat squishes some and conforms to the bag better.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 02-02-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I have a 10 year old FoodSaver that works fine. I think I bought one replacement box of bags along the way and still haven't run out. I typically use the roll and make my own to size. I will make it with an extra inch or two if it is something where I may cut the seal, use a bit, then reseal the rest. Block bacon is a good example. I've never used it on the boat, but I do use it to pack things to bring along if going for more than a weekend.

The only things I've partially frozen first are pre-formed hamburgers, which will distort if sealed first. Otherwise, I've never frozen anything before packaging.
Old 02-02-2011

aquaman9 is on a distinguished road
Everytime I have tried mine for chicken or fish the juices suck up to the top and my machine will not seal it all the way. I've tried placing napkins at the top to stop it but have never had any luck. I have done fish filets by adding water into the bag and then sealing it without the pump and that has worked some. Maybe I need to shop for a new machine also.
Old 02-02-2011
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Everytime I have tried mine for chicken or fish the juices suck up to the top and my machine will not seal it all the way.
I've had that happen too and I've patted the meat dry with paper towel and placed a paper towel barrier near the top of the bag to prevent it. It is something that you have to watch out for though.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 02-02-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaman9 View Post
Everytime I have tried mine for chicken or fish the juices suck up to the top and my machine will not seal it all the way. I've tried placing napkins at the top to stop it but have never had any luck. I have done fish filets by adding water into the bag and then sealing it without the pump and that has worked some. Maybe I need to shop for a new machine also.
It must be your machine. I can see the juice run up the bag as the vacuum comes on, but it seals right through it. There is even a place for the extracted liquid to collect right behind the sealer, so it clearly expects there to be some.
Old 02-02-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
It must be your machine. I can see the juice run up the bag as the vacuum comes on, but it seals right through it. There is even a place for the extracted liquid to collect right behind the sealer, so it clearly expects there to be some.
That's the way my vacuum sealer works as well... it definitely has a tray for the run off...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-02-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Mine is a Food-Saver, I've had it a long time, the number of bags that came with the machine was incredible, it always seals, and it is recommended that you DO NOT try to seal frozen foods. The reason being is that if the food is frozen the bag does not conform nearly as well to the shape of the food and could leave small air pockets. Soft items, such as meat, fish, poultry, always conform air free and always seal completely. As for wearing a hole in the bag while sailing, NAH! That's not gonna' happen, at least with the heavy-duty bags that were supplied by the manufacturer.

Good Luck,

Gary