Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2011

CarolynShearlock is on a distinguished road
I had one the whole time we were cruising full-time and loved it. Unfortunately, the brand went out of business and I can't find another one similar to it (when we sold the boat, the new owners wanted the one I had).

If you use it at all frequently, you're likely to spend more on bags than on the sealer. I went with one that used "commercial" grade bags instead of the FoodSaver ones as they cost only about 6 cents a bag (they may be slightly higher now) and I could buy them in "broken packages" of 100 in each of several various sizes.

I didn't use it for leftovers -- didn't want to be getting it out all the time. But I used it all the time for meat (packed it raw, then froze), cheese (sealed it right over the wrapper -- it would stay good up to 4 months), and various other things that I wanted to store for several months.

We also used it for the engine and water filters -- saved us when we had a water hose leak that would have ruined a number of them stored in the same locker.

And don't forget to put a couple of rolls of TP in a sealed bag -- if you should get a leak in the locker where you store the TP, you'll be REALLY unhappy if you don't have a dry roll!

If you have the electricity or will use the vacuum sealer only at the dock with shore power, it's really wonderful. Just be sure to measure the storage space before you decide which model to get. Wish the brand I had was still being made -- it was wonderful and not too big.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2011

KnottyGurl is on a distinguished road
I have a sealer that use's rolls as well, so we can design anything from it. I got bored one weekend and grabbed the instant coffee, sugar and creamer, put a spoon of coffee, a sugar and creamer in it sealed it and made a hundred perfect instant coffees ready to serve. made making coffee under way simple boil and add pack. I also invested in a great dehydrator for jerky and drying fruits and veggies, some of those farmers markets have the best veggies so before we could only get what we could eat in a few days, now I just buy a crapload, dehydrate and package up. makes for great soups, stews, snaks and pre packing to a meal size allowed me to buy in bulk and reap the savings and long lasting storage. well worth the little space they take up.
Bill
Old 03-12-2011

VetMike is on a distinguished road
I would also suggest getting the best one. I have a Seal A Meal and have bags in rolls which lets me custom size them. As someone else noted, meats MUST be frozen even if sealed.
Spare parts and special tools can also be sealed in these bags which will protect them and keep them in one place although I just use regular ziplock bags for that. I've not found anything yet as far as parts go that needs the vacuum seal.
When I deployed to Pakistan, I sealed a change of underwear and socks in a bag and a uniform in a larger bag. Kept them clean and dry and they took up less space. This could be handy on a boat.

Last edited by VetMike; 03-12-2011 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Misspelled word.
Old 05-23-2011
Jace2

Jace2 is on a distinguished road
I got mine at a pretty good price . . . 1$. Don't recall the brand and I don't have it on hand, just now. Foodsaver, I think. It was a church yard/parking lot sale. I had a problem with the vacuum just going on and on and not sealing, too. But I found that if I take a liberally damp cloth and wipe the rubber gasket down, it seals fine. I do have a problem with the seal separating sometimes, but hey, at a buck, I can live with that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-01-2011
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
I've been using a Foodsaver for years. Use it extensively to save cash on meats (I seal, then freeze).

I used it to keep camping clothes dry and sealed up many a meal to reheat by boiling, snipping open the top of the bag and eating directly from the bag or dumping on a paper plate.

Now that I own a boat, I'll use it much the same way. I definitely plan on sealing up spare parts to keep on board.

Never purchased the bags and have exclusively made my own from the rolls. They go a long way. I also use the sealable containers for use at home, sealing up salads and veggies. There's even a marinator tray that does a great job of quickly marinating meats. Rather than having to keep in fridge overnight, this baby sucks the marinade into the meats under vacuum. Geat time saver.

I want to upgrade, as my machine is getting a little tired.

Finally, sometimes I use a little rolled up paper towel in the bag to keep really juicy stuff from being sucked into the tray. Works like a charm.