SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

MEDICAL SUPPLIES/DRUGS/ETC. FROM WHERE?

11K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  mtboat 
#1 ·
With a pretty good background in the medical field but no real contacts, does anyone know what would constitute a good surgical field kit to take aboard on extended cruises? How does a person explain to the authorities that the small bottle of Morphine is for medical use only? Also, would a person need to be close with their local doctor to outfit such a kit? I suppose it wouldn''t hurt, at least you''d have someone to call from jail! I see lots on the boards about food, water, drinks, etc. but not much on putting together a pretty complete med pack. thanks
dennis & kathy
Macgregor 65 owners

#27 ·
Just to get you thinking, check out the medical presentation from last year's Safety at Sea seminar, here: http://usna.edu/SailingTeam/go.php?ID=94

(Note to those who surf Sailnet while at the office: do not view this presentation during your lunch break!)

#28 ·
The SAS seminars are excellent. :D Thanks for the link Eryka. :D

#29 ·
Indeed, you're welcome S'dog. Over the years, the SASs I've attended ranged from good to great.

And if you're lucky enough to attend a SAS when the weather gods cooperate, the live helicopter rescue demos are truly memorable.

#30 ·
Yes, I was at the 06 Newport SAS and they did the Helo demo... very nice. But I have a weather goddess on my side. :D The SAS flare demo was one reason I went with all SOLAS-grade flares instead of just USCG-approved ones.

#31 ·
A good resource for medical training is National Ski Patrol. The training is a course called OEC, Outdoor Emergency Care. There are alot of wilderness first responder classes, as well as Red Cross beginer and advanced first aid. I f you go with an EMS approved first responder class you can then continue on to EMT if you want. My patrol director says that with all our training, we still only practice basic first aid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.