SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

MEDICAL SUPPLIES/DRUGS/ETC. FROM WHERE?

11K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  mtboat 
#1 ·
With a pretty good background in the medical field but no real contacts, does anyone know what would constitute a good surgical field kit to take aboard on extended cruises? How does a person explain to the authorities that the small bottle of Morphine is for medical use only? Also, would a person need to be close with their local doctor to outfit such a kit? I suppose it wouldn''t hurt, at least you''d have someone to call from jail! I see lots on the boards about food, water, drinks, etc. but not much on putting together a pretty complete med pack. thanks
dennis & kathy
Macgregor 65 owners

#2 ·
the best kit i have ever seen ( which i have)is from seaside pharmacy in either california or wash state.They have been making kits for commercial ships for over 80 years
if you are a captain of a documented vessel they will provide all medications without scripts except schedule 2 drugs.(morphine, oxycontin,percodan) etc.
these you have to get from you own doctor wit a 3 part script.
eric

#3 ·
thank you so much for the link. they are an awesome supplier. I was able to custom design a kit based on what i already have and saved a bunch of money by just ordering what i really needed. I would recommend them as well, if not only based on their web site and phone personalities! but their selection of necessary items.
Any other links anyone has would be greatly appreciated as well, although i can''t imagine any supplier better equipted.
thanks again

D & K

#5 ·
Well, the first leg of our planned round the world trip is probably down the Mexico coastline to Panama and then up to the carribean, from there across to the Azzores, through the med. and down to the Indian Ocean, stopping around the India coast and then on to New Zealand, up to Japan, and then across to the Alaskan inland passage back into the States, total time, about 2-3 years.
now what?

#15 ·
buy a pack of super glue get the small containers 3 in a pack. It's great in replacing stitches. Do not use epoxy glue it's toxic but super glue is used in emergency rooms. I haven't used a band aid in years due to this discovery. Works great on long or jagged cuts, you can use super glue instead of stitches on deep cuts too. However if the cut is really really deep you may need to use a sewing kit.

the great thing is the glue stops air from getting into the cut and stops the pain associated with the cut. Funny no serious cuts or strains for years and years and then I get a boat... now I know all sorts of ways to reasemble my body. LOL

Matthew

#19 ·
Cam-

You wish you looked that good. ;) We told you to get pain meds, not sex change meds...

#22 ·
mjname said:
buy a pack of super glue get the small containers 3 in a pack. It's great in replacing stitches. Do not use epoxy glue it's toxic but super glue is used in emergency rooms. I haven't used a band aid in years due to this discovery. Works great on long or jagged cuts, you can use super glue instead of stitches on deep cuts too. However if the cut is really really deep you may need to use a sewing kit.

the great thing is the glue stops air from getting into the cut and stops the pain associated with the cut. Funny no serious cuts or strains for years and years and then I get a boat... now I know all sorts of ways to reasemble my body. LOL

Matthew
Super glue is in fact great for small lacerations. Dont do this without knowing how. The wound MUST be cleaned first, a very deep clean before you can close it.....Medical advice from nonmedical people can kill you quick.
PS any Med that must be injected requires an Rx.. I can go on here but again, taking medical advice from non medical people online is silly if not deadly.

#23 ·
Hello all,
I served as a missionary in the jungles of Panama and one of the best sources for first aid information I have ever seen is the book "Where there is no doctor" When living and working with primitive people Americans are the next best thing to a doctor. We usually have some medical training. (first aid course ect.) The people seek you out for their medical problems. I think you can download the book for free online.
As far as packing morphine, better be careful. Check what you can carry legally. So many countries will let you buy what you need if you know what you need.
Tom

#25 ·
kmclarke-

There are several threads that go into the medical supplies in probably more detail than you'd ever want to know. If you do search, you'll find them pretty easily.

#26 ·
While not a medical expert here are some books that most cruisers recommend
1. Ships Capt Medical Guide. - Free download - http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga-s.../mcga-dqs_st_shs_ships_capt_medical_guide.htm

2. "First Aid Afloat" by Dr. Eaton

3. All ready recommended - Where There Is No Doctor" ~ by David Werner
http://www.hesperian.org/publications_download.php#wtnd
The book provides vital information on diagnosing and treating common medical problems and diseases, and gives special emphasis to prevention - includes sections detailing effective examination techniques, home cures, correct usage of medicines and their precautions, nutrition, caring for children, ailments of older individuals and first aid.
Available in Spanish: "Donde no hay doctor"

I would also recommend taking First Aid courses throught the Red Cross and some survivial medical courses.
1. http://www.wildmed.com/
2. http://www.medicalofficer.net/
3. http://www.marmed.com/training.shtml

Hope this helps.
Melissa

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.