What I need the most often and how I make it last the longest... - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Bread that lasts two months! Yikes! Might as well stock up on Twinkies, they last forever.
We make bread every couple of days, whole grain wheat and a small grinder, no bread machine.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
I have a bread machine ... (holds up both hands and wiggles fingers)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 04-14-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
I'm still amazed how long it keeps, I have no good rexplanation for it. I buy a loaf, put it in the icebox (no ice), and it lasts. I just threw away a loaf the molded in the last ten days, but it's been aboard for four months. This time of year the bread has effectively refidgerated or frozen much of the time. But I first noticed this effect when I returned from my delivery trip in May '09. I was still using bread from that trip in the summer. I put a fresh loaf aboard yesterday, marked it with the purchase date. Generally I just judge by the expiration date. As I posted previously, this is mostly all natural wheat bread.
Old 04-14-2011

MacGyverRI is on a distinguished road
Maybe It's the double wrap packaging on the Hearty breads? I love the "Oat Nut" or "12 grain" and I also find they last a lot longer than any regular white breads.

The Potato bread doesn't last long...

If you like my posts, or they were helpful, please click the "scales" icon on top right to add Rep points.

Last edited by MacGyverRI; 04-14-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-06-2011

didash is on a distinguished road
Fallard - You can get the individual "liquid" Coffeemate containers which require no refrigeration...try a restaurant supply store.
Old 06-06-2011

Mariner777 is on a distinguished road
I found my short list whenever I get near a port is bread, drinking water, some fresh vegetables and meat. I find myself craving salads and fresh fruits after weeks of canned and cured products. Am putting in a fridge so things may change a little - it will be nice to add dairy back to the diet.

Old 06-06-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner777 View Post
I found my short list whenever I get near a port is bread, drinking water, some fresh vegetables and meat. I find myself craving salads and fresh fruits after weeks of canned and cured products. Am putting in a fridge so things may change a little - it will be nice to add dairy back to the diet.
Yep, we're going to install a conversion kit for the same reasons. We're getting ready for an extended voyage and have found that we can use refrigeration to keep-fresh those things that are perishable.

If we pull into port and are able to buy fresh vegetables and fruits, we will need to freeze them so they will keep. If we catch a large fish here and there, we will need to be able to freeze the leftovers so they will last.

Refrigeration is renewable, in that if you have solar panels and/or wind generators, you can renew your batteries and perpetuate your power supply.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 06-28-2011

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Just back from a 3 day trip. Favorite provision item; screw top box soup, a great snack at the tiller.

Air temp was 90 deg F no need to heat the soup , but maybe just set the box in a pot of hot water, like KTL's boiled cans.
Old 06-30-2011

toddster is on a distinguished road
I have not been able to find UHT milk in my area, but Costco has cases of soymilk packaged the same way. It's tolerable and you can stack those brick-shaped things anywhere. Long-lasting bread: sourdough.
Old 07-02-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Growing stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
Yep. I've been looking into sprouts and seeds on the boat. There are some great super foods out there that you can grow too. One could sustain himself for a very long time without the need to set foot on shore.
We had some success growing lettuce but you have to be careful since some countries don't allow you to import plants or soil. How strict they are varies from wink-wink to tally serious about the prohibition. Seems to be more of a problem in the South Pacific than it was in Eastern Caribbean.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.