What I need the most often and how I make it last the longest... - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011

F15EWSO is on a distinguished road
What I need the most often and how I make it last the longest...

What I need the most often and how I make it last the longest...

I reviewed many provisioning posts here and gained lots of insight so thanks to those who have gone before. What I am looking for are the most COMMON food (or grocery) items that drive YOU back to shore to get more. These might not be common to the rest of us but they drive you to the beach early and often.

Some assumptions; ice, bread, and milk are all perishable so I got those on my list. Beer, wine, and alcohol are common sailor needs to I think I can handle those as well.

What I hope to get from each of you is that nugget of experience regarding how you get your eggs, lettuce, produce, cookie or whatever it is that you find yourself craving, needing, must have and yet you canít seem to keep enough in supply. AND then when you get it you crafted an insanely brilliant scheme to store it, make it last, preserve it to shorten the need for your next fix on-shore. Clever methods or locations for storage are highly encouraged here as well.

Finally this might not be a food item; it could be something that is used in provisioning (think grocery store) that you donít eat.

Hope this is clear as mud and letís see what knowledge base I can tap on this subject.
Boat Yr, 1989
Boat Length 43'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Re: Milk

I use UHT milk found in some health food stores. It does not require refrigeration until opened. Some do not like the taste, but it is fine on cereal.

It is a touch expensive.

Eggs do not require refrigeration, especially if they are farm fresh. Just turn them over (in the carton) every day or two. Forget the vaseline trick, too messy.

There are other threads - give a search a try.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)

Last edited by jackdale; 03-09-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-09-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Bread in the French islands. A daily trip to the boulangerie is needed unless you can find a baker with pain de siecle or similar. However a fresh baquette takes some beating.
Old 03-15-2011

MacGyverRI is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Re: Milk

I use UHT milk found in some health food stores. It does not require refrigeration until opened. Some do not like the taste, but it is fine on cereal.
I found UHT qts. in the "Dollar stores" for (you guessed it) $1 and with regular milk here going for $3.29+ a gal., it's really not that bad in price.

The "whole milk" isn't bad tasting, especially when chilled first.

If you like my posts, or they were helpful, please click the "scales" icon on top right to add Rep points.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-15-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyverRI View Post
I found UHT qts. in the "Dollar stores" for (you guessed it) $1 and with regular milk here going for $3.29+ a gal., it's really not that bad in price.
That is a great price. I paid about $4.00 in Maui.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 03-16-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
This is a good book that addresses your questions. We have it aboard. It is, arguably, a cookbook. However, it has as many cruising stories along with provisioning, storage, etc tips as it has recipes. It's actually a good read, I recommend it.

Amazon.com: Cruising Chef Cookbook, 2nd ed. (9780939837465): Michael Greenwald: Books

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-16-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Looks like a nice book, will have to see if its available in Barnes & Noble format (we have a Nook and not a Kindle). I'm slightly leary of his advice not to stock up on pasta, rice, canned tuna, etc. Generally, that's sound advice, but - when we were in the Bahamas last year, the fronts came thru every 3 days. We were lucky enough to be on Eleuthera when we got trapped by that weather, so we were able to get lots of foods. Some friends were on a mooring in the park (read: undeveloped land, no services at all) for the better part of a month and they said for the first time in 8 years of cruising, they DID use up all their canned/dry foods. So, think about where you're going and what your style is, and plan accordingly.

We bought a 5-lb block of cheese at Costco; cut it into 8-oz blocks and vacuum-sealed them; lasted over a year in the bottom of our fridge. Places outside the US, you can buy butter in a 1-lb can (needs no refrigeration till opened), or Indian ghee (butter without the milkfat, again, needs no refrigeration). We use UHT milk for some things, powdered for others, and bake our own bread when we can't get fresh.

The thing most likely to drive us ashore to go shopping is a lust for fresh green things. Sometimes you just have to do without - I once saw broccoli for $8/lb!

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 03-16-2011

RealityCheck is on a distinguished road
Easy way to fix the Green need is to sprout seeds. I really like the Mung Bean and only takes a few days to start and once you get your amounts right you can harvest enough for two for several days on half hand full of beans. Taste crunchy and a bit nutty and has vitamin C in them which is odd for a bean.

Health Benefits Of Mung Beans

Lots of other choices and they are typically cheap in bulk when you can find them. I have several small bags brought down by Friends when they are visiting the States. Sealed they last seems for ever.
Old 03-16-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
Easy way to fix the Green need is to sprout seeds.
Yep. I've been looking into sprouts and seeds on the boat. There are some great super foods out there that you can grow too. One could sustain himself for a very long time without the need to set foot on shore.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 03-16-2011

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road
Okay, so this suggestion is a little off base - but give it some consideration and you might surprise yourself.

Backpacking cooking!

I also happen to be an avid backpacker as well as sailer. Obviously space and weight are at a premium when you have to carry your food.

Trail dining has had a massive makeover the last few years. Ramen noodles used to be the staple, but now, open a backpacking magazine and you'll find delicious recipes that are ultra lightweight and rely significantly on re-hydration.

Check them out - you'll be surprised.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post: