Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2004

frogman13 is on a distinguished road
HUNTING

In my experience, I would leave the firearms at home. I''m a native Texan that grew up hunting, I still enjoy wing shooting to great extent. As far as big game I have slowed down and spend less than 7 days a year hunting large game.

As far as hunting overseas you will find most in countries it is very difficult and expensive to obtain license and permit, specially for foreign visitors. The countries that rely on hunting tourism will have ample firearms available to use. If you want to cruise than cruise, if you want to retire and spend your days hunting than do that, but the two do not mix well. It is a major inconvenience to check your weapons at ports which will allow it, some will not even allow you in with firearms. You could risk getting your boat seized in certain areas if caught carrying it illegally, which in some places means carrying it at all. You will find your cruising experience much more enjoyable without the hassle of dealing with guns.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2004

ISLANDCHIEF60 is on a distinguished road
HUNTING

Thanks all for your input. As far as bringing guns into another country, I have found that you can get custom forms from a US Embasy fill them out but do not sign them until you reach the customs office in the country you are going to. Also you can contact the customs office in the country your going to as I did with Africa They faxed me the forms for declaring Fire arms They told me not sign them until I reached customs. They ask you for serial numbers and the amount of amunition I would be bringing. So once I arrived I walked right on thru. They checked my paper work and guns and said happy hunting. I have also found that if you ask the tribal leader on some of the smaller islands that often they will even send a guide with you. Show some respect and be willing to trade. They love to trade. However trade fairly. Don`t insult them. I try to give them the better deal. They will develope a trust and if you needed a favor sometime it will make it easier you to get it accomplished. Not much has changed over the past Four Hundred years. I`ve found it all comes down to the basics.
Old 08-20-2004

fujimoTammy is on a distinguished road
HUNTING

Hi I am new to this, but there is a book called World Hunters. It will tell you what countries allow hunting and of what animal. It will also tell you if you can bring your own weapon or in some cases you can rent one. It is a really good book. I have put in a bigger freezer in my 57 footer and really looking forward to doing some hunting around the world. Even though some say hunting is a man''s sport.
Old 09-07-2004

Anacapa is on a distinguished road
HUNTING

I believe the Yo-Yo was developed in Australia for hunting. Has anyone ever tried hunting with one of these Yo-Yos? I believe they are almost completely unregulated...
Old 09-07-2004

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
HUNTING

Actually. The yo-yo''s origins are believed to be either ancient china or ancient greece (or both, as they could have come up with it independently). The Philapinos had a hunting technique that involved a stone on a string for hunting birds...But it is unlikely that it worked on the yo-yo''s spinning principle.

There is no evidence of it having been used by australian aborigines.

As a boat-friendly hunting tool that ought not get you into trouble with cutoms and actually allows a good deal of versatility and such, I would recommend trying bow-hunting and bow-fishing.

Sasha
Old 07-03-2006

Newport41 is on a distinguished road
I think you seriously overestimate the amount of wildlife in the South Pacific. There aren't exactly wild boar's running all about. The fact of the matter is that most countries have a very different view on firearms. I would never carry them cruising and not because of my view on guns. It's just way too much bloody hassle. You'll always be checking them at customs and then they'll be holding them is some damp dark police station till you get back to collect them. As for the bow thing, it'd be worth contacting the local governments first before you go all the way there jsut to have your favorite bow taken away. I'm just about to make moose steaks for dinner. All this hunting talk made me hungry.
Old 07-03-2006

Newport41 is on a distinguished road
And the yo-yo's. There a toy based on an asian weapon.
Old 11-29-2008
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
hunting

We visit Belize yearly and have become friends w many locals. I just got an old Ben Pearson takedown and a set of arrows for a buddy. They hunt often, Give nots, armedillo, iguana mmmm and the accompanying fruits with rice and beans are great.
Old 11-30-2008
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
I bet the pirates just love it when good people go around unarmed.

(I say from my armchair on land.)
Old 11-30-2008

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Maybe the aussie Yo Yo you're referring to are what we know as boomerangs. Very different in look to a yo yo, but the idea is similar I guess, you throw it, it kills something and the boomerang comes back to you......google it, it will be a nice little educational 5 minutes

As for firearms onboard while world cruising, even with appropriate paperwork etc, you will still encounter problems in alot of countries. At best perhaps your guns will be logged on entry and then sealed onboard to ensure they are NOT used in that country.....at worst they will be impounded at your port of entry to be collected on exit from said country.......considering most pirate attacks/thefts occurs in anchorages therefore the whole situation leaves you in a predicament......leave the gun at home I say, and get hunting thrills by Spear fishing........last time I looked there were more fish than deer in the ocean.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.