Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2003

ISLANDCHIEF60 is on a distinguished road
HUNTING

I`ve heard the debate over carring guns on board. I have thought of carring a hunting rifle and shotgun on board as well as archery equipment. While in the military stationed overseas, I`ve had several opportunities for hunting. I know that you need to check with the local authorties, but has anyone had any experiences while cruising the world. Putting fresh meat on the table is a refreshing thought. Does anyone have food for thought?
Thanks, Chuck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2003

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road
HUNTING

Chuck,

There may well be folks who can answer your question from personal experience. All I can do is share what I have read in several books by world cruisers.

In many parts of the world, especially the pacific islands, the local chiefs dictate what you can and cannot do in their territory. Even taking local seafood is best done with their blessing unless you want to accept whatever consequences the might be.

Of course, there was just a true account about a native who was attacked by a croc while using the public outhouse. A cruiser with a gun hunted the croc down and killed it. The locals considered him a hero.

I don''t recall what was written about many Latin American countries regarding hunting/fishing, but the issue of having guns for any purpose is said to get particularly sticky down there. If you don''t declare firearms and are caught with them, you could be jailed, lose your boat, or both. If you do declare them, many times you need to surrender it to the authorities until you leave the country (that is, if your firearms don''t mysteriously disappear while being held).

Keep in mind, this is just sharing what I read. I can''t verify any of this personally.

Duane
Old 08-11-2003

HUNTING

Thanks Duane
I`ve been leaning more towards archery. I think the haseles would be alot less with customs. I don`t think they will consider a Bow and Arrow a threat. Of course they also consider a flare gun a threat.
Thanks again,
Chuck
Old 08-16-2003

Jeffamc is on a distinguished road
HUNTING

Use your hands to hunt, see how much of a carnivore you Really are
Old 08-21-2003

HUNTING

If you use both hands and legs to hold the animal you have a better chance of killing it quickly. Your teeth work better at getting to the flesh. Oh be sure to eat the heart so that the animal`s spirit flows within you. But most importantly make sure you give thanks for the animal giving their live for you. Never dishonor nature "Pale Face".
Old 10-04-2003

flicker is on a distinguished road
HUNTING

I like to sneak up an deer, grab them around the neck, and grip their carotids until they pass out. Then I can take my time bludgeoning them to death with a log. Works for me.

Chas
Old 10-07-2003

HUNTING

Does anyone have any real experience with hunting while cruising the globe? And I don`t understand why so many people have to be a Richard when it comes to hunting or guns or anything else that would put you back in touch with your native being.
Old 10-07-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
HUNTING

IslandChief,

At the risk of getting into trouble again for responding to one of your posts,I''m going to throw in my $.02 worth.I''ve never done any hunting while cruising,because the areas I''ve cruised in really didn''t have much to hunt.Also,the boats I''ve been on didn''t have enough refrigerated storage capacity to handle large amounts of fresh meat.I don''t have a problem with hunting though.When I worked and lived as a cowboy in Wyoming, I hunted and ate everything from Bear,to Moose.What I do have a problem with though is people that hunt,but don''t eat what they kill.Others,feel it''s not right,or it''s inhumane to kill any animal.I respect their views. When I cruise,I fish a lot.When I''m lucky enough to catch something,once I land the fish in the cockpit,I pour some alcohol in it''s gills to kill the fish. I don''t know if it''s more humane to use my rum,rather than vodka,etc.,but I hold on to my rum.If the fish is a predator like say a Barracuda,I remove the line and throw it back.I have a rule to never eat any fish that could eat me! Good luck with your hunting!
Old 10-16-2003

HUNTING

Hey Stede. Sorry about getting you into trouble with my firearms issue. No harm. No foul. I too have the same rules about hunting and fishing and do alot of it here in the Northwest. I live aboard full time and have a 60ftr. with 2 freezers and 2 fridges. In one of my freezers I can hold a whole elk. Butchered that is. I have heard stories about some of the remote islands and their chiefs allowing a pig hunt or two. I`ve taken up Bow Hunting now. I think it would be great to hunt on an island for wild pig. It would be like the old days. Well good chating with you again. Take Care.
Old 10-16-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
HUNTING

Hi IslandChief60,

No problem on the firearms thing. I usually seem to find a way to stay in trouble anyway ; ^ ) Man, a 60 footer huh? That''s one big floating "crib." Two freezers and two fridges!!..., and can hold a whole butchered Elk??? The dickens you say?! On my 26 footer, I''m doing good to hold a 6 pack and a premature chicken in my box : ^ )I''ve done a little bow hunting, but never had any luck.The area where I was hunting had too much brush to really do any good. It would be awesome to get in on a wild pig hunt on one of the islands.I can see having a grand pig pickin for the locals and all.I''ve got a recipe for some Southern style Barbecue Pork that would either have them loving me, or running me off with my own bow and arrows.Hunting is a great way to make some new friends though.The old days. Yes, I miss them.I still have painted in my mind the herds of wild horses running across the hills in Wyoming, before they hauled them all in and gave them away as pets.Such is progress I guess? Good luck with the bow hunting my friend.Fair winds to you!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.