Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I shall stir a pot or two.

Does the BBQ count?
Good question. Grill and oven are near interchangeable on Auspicious.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Okay, this one's for vegetarians. Boil water for pasta (one pot); spaghetti or angel hair. While the water is boiling, slice some mushrooms, cut red bell pepper into strips, zucchini into semicircles, and broccoli into florets; keep vegetables separate. (You can use your choice of veggies, I count on about 5-6 cups total for 2 people.) Add pasta to boiling water - I usually use about 5 ounces for 2 people. In a skillet (pot #2), heat a small amount of oil and saute the bell peppers for a minute or two. Add mushrooms and cook another 2 minutes, then zucchini. Go back to the boiling pasta. About 3 minutes before the pasta is ready, add the broccoli flowerets to the boiling water. In a small bowl, dissolve 2 tsp cornstarch in 1/3 cup water plus 1/3 cup good tamari sauce plus a shot of hot sauce or Chinese chili paste. Pour the sauce over the mushroom mixture and bring to a boil to thicken. When pasta + broccoli is cooked, drain well and put on serving plates. Add veggies and sauce and top with grated parmesan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 08-08-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Last night's dinner at home.

Boil 8 ounces of cavatappi or whatever; during the last three minutes add some cut up asparagus. Drain. Add 4-6 ounces of smoked salmon, some fresh basil, juice of one lemon, olive oil, salt, pepper, chopped pistachios. Chill and serve.

One pot / one bowl.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 08-08-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Always there are troublemakers ... Auspicious and Dale you know who you are.

Me I believe in all things for all peoples so you'll see there is now a thread for the rich and famous with all the trappings that only wealth can buy. (Except Microwaves which are still banned ... start your only bloody thread if you must )

Over there those of us who enjoy an excess of burners, are blessed with ovens and clutter up our sterns with BBQs can indulge themselves with ten course degustation menus should we so desire.

This thread though stays two pots (yes pressure cookers are permitted, indeed encouraged.) Many small boats only have two burners, some only one. It takes that extra bit of creativity to come up with good wholesome tasty meals when space and appliances are limited so in keeping with your old Furball's intellect ... let's keep it simple.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-08-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Okay, this one's for vegetarians. Boil water for pasta (one pot); spaghetti or angel hair. While the water is boiling, slice some mushrooms, cut red bell pepper into strips, zucchini into semicircles, and broccoli into florets; keep vegetables separate. (You can use your choice of veggies, I count on about 5-6 cups total for 2 people.) Add pasta to boiling water - I usually use about 5 ounces for 2 people. In a skillet (pot #2), heat a small amount of oil and saute the bell peppers for a minute or two. Add mushrooms and cook another 2 minutes, then zucchini. Go back to the boiling pasta. About 3 minutes before the pasta is ready, add the broccoli flowerets to the boiling water. In a small bowl, dissolve 2 tsp cornstarch in 1/3 cup water plus 1/3 cup good tamari sauce plus a shot of hot sauce or Chinese chili paste. Pour the sauce over the mushroom mixture and bring to a boil to thicken. When pasta + broccoli is cooked, drain well and put on serving plates. Add veggies and sauce and top with grated parmesan.
This dish will be greatly enhanced by either the fresh ginger root at the beginning of saute or lot and lot of garlic saute in olive oil before adding cooked pasta. Food needs to be balanced in both Ying and Yang energy. This delicate balance is essential to happiness and longevity.

The doneness of the pasta is also import. It can''t be cook to one's liking. It has to be al dente or it will affect the harmony of pasta. If consumed by human often, the meta-stage pasta will desensitize the insulin receptors and eventually lead to Type II diabetics in young age

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 08-08-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Pasta with Butter Sage Sauce

Sorry I don't have exact measurements.

Makes one serving, good for a meal.

Bow tie* pasta (about 3/4 cup)
3-4 Tbs Butter (or olive oil but OO changes the taste slightly)
Fresh sage leaves** (I use maybe ten good-sized leaves)
Chopped garlic to taste (I use two cloves)

In pot one boil water and add pasta.

When the pasta is about halfway done, melt 3-4 tablespoons butter in another small pot.

Add chopped garlic and whole sage leaves to the butter and cook until leaves are crispy but don't let the butter brown. If the leaves start to crisp before the pasta is done, take the pan off the burner and set aside. The leaves will get limp but can be re-crisped when you put the pan back on the fire for a minute or so. Watch the butter. This step is a timing thing and you want to end up with crispy leaves to pour over the pasta.

When pasta is al dente, strain into bowl, pour butter/garlic/sage mixture over top. Sprinkle with a little grey sea salt if desired.

*I have tried different pasta shapes and for some reason the bow ties work the best. Except for those times I make my own pasta, my pasta of choice is Barilla.
**I grow both purple sage and a yellow/green variegated sage. To me, the yellow tastes much better.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-08-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
This thread though stays two pots (yes pressure cookers are permitted, indeed encouraged.) Many small boats only have two burners, some only one. It takes that extra bit of creativity to come up with good wholesome tasty meals when space and appliances are limited so in keeping with your old Furball's intellect ... let's keep it simple.
So.. what do I get when I win?!?
Old 08-08-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
So.. what do I get when I win?!?
Donna offers us al dente pasta with sage butter , you come up with a tin of tuna. I'm thinking you are becalmed and the tide is setting agin ya.

The Wombet used to do an absolutely scrumptious pumpkin ravioli with sage butter, lovely stuff but man that was labour intensive.

(I guess that should be buttered sage not sage butter. Sage butter sauce maybe ?)

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-08-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Orzo with Vegetables

This works with almost any vegetables you have on hand. Experiment. The orzo is a foundation and just about anything can be added. I happened to have asparagus and carrots.

1 C Orzo
Olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 3/4 C broth (vegetable or chicken, water can be used also)
Fresh Parmesan cheese (optional, try any Italian grating cheese)

Handful of asparagus, chopped in 1-inch pieces
2 Carrots, 1/4-inch slices
Garnish (chopped green onions, chopped flat parsley, whatever you prefer. both are good)

Heat a medium saucepan. Add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil (enough to cover the bottom of the pan, about a quarter inch) and saute the onions until soft. Add the orzo. Stir to coat with the oil and cook until it JUST starts to brown. Add the broth and cook until the orzo has a slight bite to it. If all the liquid gets soaked up, add a bit more water so that it's creamy.

Add the bottoms of the asparagus first to the orzo and allow them to cook a bit before adding the rest. The thicker the spear, the more time it'll need to cook.

Add the rest of the vegetables to the orzo and cook until they have the texture you prefer. I don't like my vegetables mushy. I cook them just enough so that they remain crunchy.

After spooning into the bowl or plate, sprinkle with preferred garnish. For something different, grate Parmesan cheese on top.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-08-2011
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
Haven't made this on the boat yet but this has been my go to 2 pot meal for camping for years. And by camping I don't mean in an RV. Definitely not for those keeping kosher...

Ingredients: 4 roma tomatoes, diced
4 green onions chopped
1 tablespoon dried parsley
2 slices bacon(thicker is better)
1/2 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese shredded
1/2 lb cleaned shrimp- peeled
McIlhenny's Smoked Chipotle Tabasco
Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
1/2 cup quick grits
2 cups water
1/4 cup Half and Half
Butter

In a skillet- fry up bacon until crispy. Drain all but 1 tablespoon bacon drippings and remove bacon
In a pan- bring water and grits to a boil, stirring occasionally, reduce heat and cook 5 minutes

in skillet, add diced tomatos, parsley and green onion cook until onions soften (about 3-4 minutes) then add cleaned shrimp, about 4-5 dashes of McIlhenny's and 1/2 tablespoon of Tonys cook until shrimp are opaque but not tightly curled

add shredded cheese and half to grits, stirring as you add.

Put grits into two bowls, then top with cooked shrimp and tomato mixture and crumbled bacon. Serves 2 hungry people.
JimMcGee likes this.

Our little blog has moved!