Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Sounds good .... if I can find that azeite de dende in Australia I'll give it a go.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Peking Turkey:

Dock Six Chronicles: Two-Burner Meal of the Week #5- T-Day Turkey with a Twist

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-22-2011

JanetGroene is on a distinguished road
Two Burners

I do a lot of shuffling, which allows me to cook a number of things on two burners. While pressure continues to cook in the pressure cooker I can stir-fry, then set that aside to put the coffee pot on. This doesn't mean multiple pots to wash either because I can steam rice in foil, leaving only clean, hot water in the pressure cooker when it's done.
Old 10-14-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: The Two Pot Cook Off

Hooley dooley it has been twelve months since this thread was last active so I'm giving it a burmp. Given the inactivity I reckon we stretch the rules to allow ovens, provided the oven is all that is used plus one burner at most. Also, and this is the reason for the burmp I'm throwing in a pressure cooker recipe. We've recently acquired one so maybe even a few more to come.

Saturday evening (inspired by a recipe on the Hip site) I did Pork Chops and cabbage with apple, chorizo, proscuitto and onion. Pretty simple, chorizo (sausage sliced) , proscuitto (I'd have preferred Jamon but not available. Proscuitto was a slab cut up into lardons) and roughly chopped onion in a bit of olive oil until onion going opaque and chorizo letting out its fat. Remove from pan leaving only a skerrick of oil and fry chops, one side only until browned/caramelised. Remove from pan and deglaze with a slosh of wine (I used a chablis but a poinot noir would also be good I think). Now, throw in shredded (not too fine) cabbage (we used a small savoy) and chorizo mixture and mix well to coat cabbage. Then lay chops (brown side up) on top of cabbage and add large pieces of green apple (depending on size, halves or quarters, too small and will disintegrate). Lid on bring up to pressure and give it all a few minutes depending on how you like your pork. There should be sufficient liquid from the deglaze and apple but if you need extra then a bit of chicken stock would be the go.
After releasing pressure I removed the chops and apple pieces and stirred in a knob of butter. End result .... simply yummo. The proscuitto may be unnecessary, if it adds anything it is pretty subtle and the chorizo dominates but it all gives the cabbage a kick. I suspect this would work equally as well with chicken or any other fowl.

We did a version some weeks back with chicken and canneloni beans .... ended up somewhat overdone but that was really my fault. Oh yes and I know its slack of me to simply plop the cooker onto the table but this is a boat for heavens sake and come what may I do hate washing up.

DRFerron likes this.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 10-24-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Oven?
OVEN?
Seriously, that looks tasty, wombat.

and prosciutto is never unnecessary.

How about sandwiches?

Dock Six Chronicles: Two Burner Tastiness: A Handful of Sammies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-24-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Jonesy,
You are probably correct re the proscuitto and I doubt I'd stop using it bu the chorizo is by far the dominant flavour in the cabbage.

Must be said that you do a pretty good line in sandwiches.

Now I knew the oven idea would offend your delicate sensibilities but some of us have them and they are quite handy for some pretty good simple meals ... but I won't press the point.

Cheers

Andrew B

ps - yes I know I need a new camera .... just cannot convince the Wombet to actually make a decision.

Old 10-24-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

After making two 1/3 lb hot Italian sausage (ground, sold in 1lb pkgs) sandwiches, I use the remaining 1/3 to make a simple pasta dish.

As the ground sausage doesn't crumble like ground beef, I simply use a hard edged spatula to break into small pieces in a 8" saute pan (if I have bell peppers on hand, I do them first and set aside). Then mix a 8 oz can of tomato sauce and spices in a plastic cup to pour over the meat when it's done. Put that on low and boil up a pot of egg noodles, and then put it all together. I'm not a cheese lover (lactose intolerant), but shredded cheese of choice would go well. Simple and easy. And since I like spicy, quite tasty to me (milder sausage could be used of course).

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 10-24-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

When the weather gets cooler I like a good stew.

I cube two lbs of pork shoulder, dredged in flour and seared it in the bottom of a dutch oven with a bit of olive oil (don’t cook it just sear it).

Add in a 26oz box of Pomi diced tomatoes, two cups of red wine, a half cup of balsamic vinegar, a big onion, mushrooms, carrots, a jalapeno, potatoes and salt, pepper, garlic to taste (sorry I don't measure).

Cube/dice everything and make sure to scrape the good brown bits off the bottom of the pan as you add in the liquids.

Cook the whole works down for five hours at 300 in the oven or a low heat on the stove and fill the boat with a wonderful smell.

When it's done fill a bowl and hack off a big piece of fresh bread with a little butter. Wash down with a dark beer and repeat the next day with the leftovers.

It just seems the perfect meal on a cool fall evening.

Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 10-24-2012

floridajaxsailor is on a distinguished road

one word

GARLIC

take care
Old 10-25-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I see two different glasses of white wine for one setting in that picture...care to eleaborate?

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner