Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
I'm trying to find the link without success but we have been using a long life milk that is not UHT. In Oz its marketed under the Devondale brand.
A, it's good stuff, but I'm afraid it is indeed UHT Milk.

The Devondale stuff of which you speak is manufactured by Murray-Goulburn in Leongatha, VIC and currently it contains Leongatha town water. It's been a political football here for years now, since the town is (was) on Stage 5 Water Restrictions and yet the plant was using around one million litres of town water a day - more than half of the town's entire consumption - and sending about the same (condensed from the driers) to waste down the local creek.

It tastes like "real milk" because (a) the milk comes from local daries and the water from local reservoirs (ie. it's the same rain water - just different paths to the packet; via. cow or via pipe!) and (b) they go to extraordinary lengths to get the taste right.

Unfortunately all of their Powdered Milk product is exported.. but if you can find it, it's just as good as the UHT stuff.
Old 08-18-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
In the past I have found that apart from the taste UHT milk's life span is variable at best. It does not last once opened and the I've lost count of the number of times it has bee off when first opened. I gave up on the stuff a couple of years back.
That's because the milk solids have separated out of the water and gone off the second the carton has been opened.

With UHT Milk it is really important that you shake the carton well before opening.
Old 08-18-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
As for coffee, if mine doesn't taste good enough to drink black, I don't drink it at all
Testify, sister!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
@ Hartley, thanx, I hadn't known that.
@ BLJones - there's a story behind that ... when Dan had his cancer diagnosis, one of the forbidden foods was caffeine. In any form, coffee or cola drinks, etc. He recently cleared the 5 year mark (YAY!!!) and is now allowed one cup of real coffee per day. Morning coffee in the cockpit was always a ritual with us, in honor of his 5-year I found a hand-cranked coffee bean grinder, and bought him a pound of 100% Jamaican Blue Mountain ... and the rest can't be posted on a public website ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 09-07-2011

CarolynShearlock is on a distinguished road
Not only did we live on UHT milk for 6 years and like it (yes, it has to be refrigerated once opened), we discoved UHT cream!

Called Media Crema in Latin American countries and is really nice and thick (we'd occasionally find crema, which is even richer). It generally comes in 250 ml (1 cup) boxes, although it's usually in cans in the Mexican foods aisle in the US.

Great for coffee, but it also is the base for some really decadant clam chowder.

And if you add 1 to 2 teaspoons of white vinegar, lemon or lime juice or even white wine, it will sour . . . and you have great, non-refrigerated sour cream.

We considered it a staple and highly recommend it.

Old 09-07-2011

MacGyverRI is on a distinguished road
This stuff?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nestle-For...fl-oz/10804326

Dollar Tree has Borden 1/2 and 1/2 UHT, as always,, $1 lol
Haven't seen cream yet

If you like my posts, or they were helpful, please click the "scales" icon on top right to add Rep points.

Last edited by MacGyverRI; 09-07-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-07-2011

CarolynShearlock is on a distinguished road
Yep, in Latin American countries it's sold in boxes and about half the price. I'll have to check Dollar Tree for the Borden Half & Half -- have never seen it!

Old 10-14-2011

Thestar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Thestar
Have tried the UHT cartons they okay in both price and taste yet are bulky and heavy.

Settled for a dried skimmed milk 0.5% fat sold in the UK in a 400g tin that instantly makes 7 pints it is easy to make up a pint as required 4 1/2 table spoons (57g) to a pint (568ml) of water. For taste, weight, price and storage space.

I had tried many makes and brands yet found this brand could be used in both hot and cold water without any lumps or whey seperation tastes good in both tea and coffee too
very reasonable price of around £1.10p per tin it is called Milbona and the instructions are in GB/IE and IT on the tin. Has a year shelf life on the base untill made up then treat as fresh milk.
Old 01-24-2012

AKAPeterc is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to AKAPeterc
I have been using UHT milk for several years and find like most things once you are used to it every thing else tastes weird. I love the convenience of being able to buy it in bulk when cheap and never running out. I like the one thats called semi skim (about 2% Fat)
Old 02-04-2012

Lion Tamer is on a distinguished road
The Invasion of Single Serving Evaporated Milk (SSEM)

The Greek product "Noy Noy" (SSEM) and others have long held a niche in the mid and eastern European markets where cow products are trumped by goat and sheep dairy output.

The dairy industry in the Americas has gotten "fat" from protectionism that encourages and profits from early spoilage and unnecessary replacement of coffee and tea related dairy products. Small households have been the primary target, but also arguably to families with children.

The shelf life of some European milk can extend to nearly one year, while refrigerated dairy products commonly used for creamers in the USA typically last one to two weeks. Non-refrigerated "Noy Noy" has a shelf life of one and a quarter+ years.

Presently, SSEM products do not exist in the Americas. The conclusions are obvious about the industry protecting false profit margins that are vulnerable to an SSEM invasion.

For true black coffee aficionados, the points made here are moot. But for the rest of us (and arguably the industry), its time to wake up and smell the coffee, rather than spoiled milk & cream.

Noy Noy sells 10 packets for about 1 USD in Greece, after conversion from the euro. So the price point is about 10 cents per packet, with a fifteen month taste-shelf life, and a unknown but much larger safe-shelf life. So, a FY qtr of one packet a day will cost approximately 9 USD. Perhaps if bought in bulk rather than in 10-packs, this price could be cut by 30-40% (yes, that's an invite Costco!)

The UHT Mini Moo's cost approximately 20 USD for 192 packets, with a 10.4 cent per packet rate (already more expensive than Noy Noy). Additionally, the safe-shelf life of this item is one FY qtr, i.e. 3 months, assuming that the consumer has access to the most freshly delivered and stock rotated boxes. Anyone in the supermarket industry knows that this is rarely the case. If a single user bought this and used one per day, then more than half of the product would have to be thrown away for safety reasons. If two people used the box, (or one person using 2 packets each day) then only 12 packets will spoil. In order for the household to use the product safely (under ideal buying conditions), the household must consume on average 2.133... packets each day.

Once again, the milk industry ensures a consumer price point charge per day regardless of usage or amount of waste. I call this a protectionism practice.

A good follow up question is how much of the UHT Mini Moo's are being thrown away by consumers after reaching the expiration date.

Lastly, note the flexibility of the SSEM product with a 1+ year safe shelf life. It's price point is lower to begin with, and after sitting for weeks or several months un-refrigerated, can be taken off the shelf and used safely with expectations of taste and quality the same as new.

Sadly in line with market protectionism, Noy Noy is only being imported at over eleven times the local cost (see http://www.amazon.com/Evaporated-Mil.../dp/B000LQLOB2 )

SSEM companies have a lot to gain, and the USA dairy industry has much to lose over this, given that low household dairy users like myself would be buying less and wasting nothing if SSEM's were available here at the same European price point.