Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012
美國佬

willyd is on a distinguished road
Re: Cheap UHT milk/cream & Coffee

I tried to find UHT milk for a recent trip, couldn't, and didn't want to buy the box of 92 little packets of creamer from Club of Sam, so I bought a few cans of evaporated milk and a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream coffee creamer. During the trip, the temperatures were in the 70s during the day and the 50s at night. The Bailey's lasted the entire 12-day trip without going bad even though my cooler (in a cockpit locker) is not refrigerated and what ice I put in there had mostly melted by the 2nd day. The evaporated milk went bad within 48 hours after opening.
Old 06-01-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Hartley, I think you've been mislead. UHT milk is NOT dried and powdered, it is simply "ultra pasteurized". The same way that regular milk is heated up to sterilize it, UHT milk is simply heated in a different way, to a bigher temperature for a very short time, and that's what sterilizes it.

At least that's how Parmalat (#1 brand in the US, an Italian company) and others say they do it.

There is no powdered whole milk in the US market, but most groceries import Klim and Nilo (read Klim backwards) which are powdered whole-milk products made by Nestle and sold in the central american and south american markets. Identical products, but each is sold only in one market and both are imported "gray market" back into the US, where Nestle says there is no market for them.

Klim and Nilo are available in several "fat" concentrations including a superfat that comes close to half and half, and a choclate version for kids. The label is either spanish, or spanish with some english, and if the spanish-only can is $4, then the bilingual label sells right next to it for $5 or more.

You just can't make this stuff up.

Either way, mixed with good water and allowed to stand, it tastes like milk. Which I rarely put in my coffee but sometimes cook with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Hartley, I think you've been mislead. UHT milk is NOT dried and powdered, it is simply "ultra pasteurized". The same way that regular milk is heated up to sterilize it, UHT milk is simply heated in a different way, to a bigher temperature for a very short time, and that's what sterilizes it.

At least that's how Parmalat (#1 brand in the US, an Italian company) and others say they do it.
HS, having done some work at a similar plant over here, perhaps it's just that I didn't explain the process properly:

Technically, fresh milk is injected at high pressure into a Spray Dryer - basically a hot-air furnace operating at many hundreds of degrees C - which instantly vaporises the water content of the milk. The resulting "milk solids"(*) are then mixed with filtered town water, packaged and sold as Ultra Heat Treated (UHT) milk.

* = The "milk solids" contains milk fats and other interesting fractions that oxidise rather quickly and would cause it to go bad, so these are taken out (and sold separately) and other chemicals (stabilisers, etc.) added back in to form the "milk powder" that we all know and love. That's why UHT Milk tastes like "normal" milk and reconstituted milk powder doesn't.

Regular pasteurised milk contains water from the cow - UHT milk contains water from the tap: That's the difference.

Last edited by Classic30; 06-03-2012 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Link to Wikipedia deleted
Old 06-03-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Here is what I have on my boat. It's 1% UHT milk in 8 ounce cartons. If you do "subscribe and save", it's only $25 for a pack. I drink tea so creamer isn't going to work. I also like to have oatmeal for breakfast, and this stuff makes great oatmeal.

: Organic Valley Organic 1% Lowfat Single: Grocery & Gourmet Food : Organic Valley Organic 1% Lowfat Single: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Old 06-04-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Hartley, I suspect there are different processes being lumped under the "UHT" label.

Agropur-us says "Shelf stable milk is made using Ultra High Temperature (UHT) pasteurization. UHT is a thermal process used to remove dangerous organisms from milk before putting it in the box. Micro-organisms are killed by heating the milk to 280 degrees for a very short period of time. Regular refrigerated milk is only heated to 180 degrees. The UHT milk is then packaged in a special Tetra Pak aseptic container, sealing in the natural goodness of milk for many months."

While Parmalat themselves say "UHT (UHT)
Ultra High Temperature (UHT). Temperature applied to milk to destroy certain resistant bacteria such as spores. Example of heat treatment: 140� for 3 seconds. The UHT process allows preserving the taste of milk. UHT milk or cream can be preserved for periods of up to 90 days."

One is pasteurizing at 280, the other at 140. Neither specifies C or F but in any case, there's a huge difference. Neither mentions vapor-spraying ans separations, just high heat for short times.

Or course the really important thing is how to cook a hard-boiled egg. Ten minutes? Seventeen? Egg size? Added to boiling water and allowed to reboil? Or just simmer? Or start with the eggs in the cold water?

Such a shame they don't make milk-cows in a compact marine version. (G)
Old 06-04-2012

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road

Both companies are a little vague on exactly the process used for UHT.

Still it tastes more like milk than powdered, and is very convenient with limited refridgeration.
Old 06-04-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

HS, I'm no chemist but you'll find that interesting things happen to full-cream milk if you heat it well over it's boiling point even for a short period of time - it sure doesn't taste like milk any more.

The dairy industry is one that is quick to take on new technology and block out rivals, so it's possible that they are using different methods over there to "flash heat" the milk. Certainly the spray-drying process works but it does waste an awful lot of water (millions of litres per day) so Murray-Goulburn over here have installed an RO treatment plant to recover most of what would otherwise end up in the local creek.

From both technology and marketing perspectives I'm not too surprised they'd be vague about the process, but it's still "milk" so who cares - really?
Old 06-04-2012
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

I admit that the UHT milk tastes different but I kinda like it ... it reminds me of drinking goat milk as a kid. Doesn't the shelf life of UHT change though if stored at different temperatures?
Old 06-04-2012
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road

140C is 284F - pretty close to 280F.
Old 06-04-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuyxx View Post
I admit that the UHT milk tastes different but I kinda like it ... it reminds me of drinking goat milk as a kid. Doesn't the shelf life of UHT change though if stored at different temperatures?
I find that the Organic Valley stuff does taste a lot like ordinary milk. There is a difference, but nothing like the difference you used to get years ago.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.