SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Anybody Use A Portable Ice Maker?

16K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Mantus 1 
#1 ·
Reactions: bwalker42
#3 ·
Seems like a good toy at the Marina, but 160 Watts are 120v AC plus ineficiency is 36 aH a day...lotsa juice for ice cubes!

I wonder if there is a more efficient model, as my planned solar array will really only output 80 aH a day...and that needs to power everything.

Would be interesting to have this on a dump load, hehehe

#5 ·
Thanks for the feedback on the power draw. I was envisioning only using it for the 3-4 hours of generator time each day. I would certainly not leave it on longer than that unless plugged in to shore power. They claim to make ice in less than10-15 minutes.

Oh well, I knew if it was a good idea somebody here would have already told us about it. :)

Cheers, Bill

#7 ·
Yes ! I've used one the last 3-4 years aboard. It works great. boaught mine onine from miniappliance dot com for 150 and power it w/ a gas generator , 1/2 hour and enough ice for the evening refreshmens for 2 , while simultaneously toppong off batteries while on the hook. If in a marina all the rage as your the most popular person during the cocktail hour ! I've also taken the portable generator ashore small islands , set up the screen tent, generator,lights ,tunes,icemaker,etc and had a great beach party.
doesn't take up alot of room,.

#9 · (Edited)
After seeing a friends portable unit working, I bought one from EBay for $105 w/ shipping.

They cycle in 8-10 mins. after the 1st batch and 12 bullet shaped (3/4-1" or so dia.) cubes ea time. I'll use it w/ dock power mostly, but I also have a sm generator along w/ Solar and Wind w/ an inverter if out. It came in today and cycled 4 batches in 45-50 mins.

that 12 volt unit above only uses 4 amps but $ 985.00?? yikes

#10 ·
After seeing a friends portable unit working, I bought one from EBay for $105 w/ shipping.

They cycle in 8-10 mins. after the 1st batch and 12 bullet shaped (3/4-1" or so dia.) cubes ea time. I'll use it w/ dock power mostly, but I also have a sm generator along w/ Solar and Wind w/ an inverter if out. It came in today and cycled 4 batches in 45-50 mins.

that 12 volt unit above only uses 4 amps but $ 985.00?? yikes
Might be better to buy the cheaper ice maker and use the additional money to buy extra solar panels, eh?

#12 ·
Always refreshing to see a comment that is negative, does not add anything to the subject, and attempts a back-handed insult.

I am glad that most of the people here add to the conversation as opposed to trying to hurt others. That's why I enjoy coming back here - for the nice people here.

#14 ·
I bought one a few years ago and hated it. Since they are not refrigerated or well insulated, one must decant the ice immediately or it melts pretty quickly. Then constantly adding water to keep it going was also a hassle. You must be very careful not to allow any contaminants into either side or you have dirty ice.
I'm sure if one was on shore power it would be OK, but on a generator it was way more trouble than it was worth. If you could find a well insulated one that would keep the ice frozen then it might be a good tool. Otherwise, pass.

#15 ·
I had this same experience. Also, it's pretty damn loud. I looked at our ice invoice at the end of last season and decided to try an ice maker. It's now sitting next to my home bar. I fire it up for Cocktail Fridays.

Reactions: mbianka
#17 ·
I had and used one of the small countertop icemakers.
It was 'OK' but really didn't produce ice fast enough for my use, as it had to be run for long periods of time to 'get ahead' of the need for ice, and needed to be monitored and emptied/refilled regularly.

I found a larger unit....../Newair-AI-215SS-Stainless-Portable-Capacity/dp/B0086I5YAE/ref=sr_1_3?s=appliances&srs=2597281011&ie=UTF8&qid=1477430115&sr=1-3&keywords=newair

Plans are to work it hard for a day and bag ice to put in a freezer...off and on, and stay at least a day or a few days ahead of the need.

#18 ·
We have one of the small countertop units and love it! If we have the generator on or if we need to motor some we will use it to stock up. But we do have a freezer that will keep the ice when we are on the hook. We fill a gallon ziplock in about 2 hours.
Please be sure to clean it very well. We have some friends that got sick when they were out cruising and was told it was from bacteria found in water. After looking at there ice maker closely they feel it was the problem.
So we put some hydrogen peroxide in ours for the first batch or two if it has been sitting. This is much better for the unit and you then bleach and you don't taste it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.