Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2011
Junior Passage Maker

mikefossl is on a distinguished road
Lightweights. We roast our coffee with FZ-RR-700: Motorized Home Roaster | COFFEE-TECH ENGINEERING (notice 12v motor) then hand grind with a ceramic bur grinder and finally make espresso/cappuccino with Bellman Espresso Maker Review..
bwalker42 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2011

Cal28 is on a distinguished road
I've been drinking coffee since I was 8 (yes riding my bike to Catholic school ... and mass before - well it's only colored water isn't it) ...

Living aboard now for two years and I've found the best way to make it is with Bodum Young Press ... glass inside ... poly/plastic outside for protection ...

sitting back now and enjoying a hand-ground pot made from this ... a present from my daughter who lives on Kauai

after spending most of the day ... varnishing
bwalker42 likes this.
Old 10-12-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefossl View Post
Lightweights. We roast our coffee with FZ-RR-700: Motorized Home Roaster | COFFEE-TECH ENGINEERING (notice 12v motor) then hand grind with a ceramic bur grinder and finally make espresso/cappuccino with Bellman Espresso Maker Review..
How big is the coffee holder itself ?

Which model ? 25? 25P? 25S?

We currently use the Bialetti type. It is acceptable but I'd like something better. How does the Bellman compare coffee wise. Not frothy milk wise. Don't care about frothy milk. Care only about coffee.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-13-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Interesting ... spoke with Oz distributer of Bellman and he reckons the Bellman is no better in principle than a standard Bialetti. His attitude being that it is more down to the beans and the grind.

I confess I've always found the grinding thing a pain in the butt but it looks like I'm about to get back into the game. Buggered if I am going to roast the suckers though.

Hey Cal .... I have tried, I really have but I do not believe you get satisfactory grunt from a French press. Always weak and insipid.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-16-2011

Cal28 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Hey Cal .... I have tried, I really have but I do not believe you get satisfactory grunt from a French press. Always weak and insipid.
chuckling as I read ... knowing better but rising to take the bait ...

As I said earlier ... I've been consuming copious amounts of coffee for 55 years now on 4 continents ... and I don't do weak and insipid

IMHO ...

some of the worst ...

North Africa ... so silty that I felt it rubbed off all the enamel on my teeth ...

Constantinople ... yea old enough to call it that and not Istanbul ... so shocked when I put my demi-tasse spoon in the cup and it stood straight up that I walked out of a meeting and flew directly back to Athens ... (young and bullet-proof back then) ...

any AMPM minimart ... or Denny's at 3 AM ... scorched and burned (especially after I crashed and burned ...)

any instant ... EXCEPT when humpin in the boonies ... that well aged (circa 1948 C rat) instant ... made with water boiled in a canteen cup over a heat tab ... cocoa powder and cream substitute ... a little juice from a can of mixed fruit ... all added ... the best there was ...

some of the other best ...

anywhere in Ireland ... usually taken in a ratio of 1:1 with a single malt irish whiskey - NOTE ... do NOT go and try to kiss the Blarney Stone early in the morning after the night before ...

White Castle's ... who cares what it tastes like ... sliders and onions ...

and yes ... France ... I lived in Paris for 5 years ... took me a few months to learn to drink multiple double expressos black ... (simple ... order a shot of cognac ... and dip with a double long suger cube) ...

but seriously ... the French press ... definitely produces a less acidic coffee ...

and for the record ... I usually got more than just a satisfactory grunt ...
bwalker42 likes this.
Old 10-17-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal28 View Post
chuckling as I read ... knowing better but rising to take the bait ...

A...
I drink at maximum two cups a day.

I've always thought that the Italians perfected coffee. To the east and south its all mud and grit, to the west and north getting progressively blander.

Don't mind a splash of hot milk but not Capuccino. Load of nonsense all that silly froth and bubble.

Don't care about instant and the like, rather drink water. I'm not saying I am any kind of connoisseur of coffee, I simply like it reasonably strong. To be frank I doubt anything other than a proper espresso machine is altogether satisafctory but the stove toppers are for me best compromise for boat.

I wish I could be happy with a plunger cos it would be easier and simpler. Alas not.
bwalker42 and ppiccolo1 like this.

Old 10-17-2011
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
French press is the best.

I've been cheating with an new Kuerig my sister got me for my birthday, not bad, more and more selections and I'm useless when I first get up so it's nice and fast.

Best coffee beans I ever tasted; I was mountain biking through a coffee plantation in the mountains near Chang Mai Thailand. I bought a vacuum bag of beans, more or less forgot about them till I got home a month later and found them in my luggage. The best coffee I ever tasted.

Another sleeper is Mami: Mami Coffee Order some if you can't find it, you will be pleasantly surprised.
Old 10-26-2011
Banned

bwalker42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
French press is the best.

I've been cheating with an new Kuerig my sister got me for my birthday, not bad, more and more selections and I'm useless when I first get up so it's nice and fast.

Best coffee beans I ever tasted; I was mountain biking through a coffee plantation in the mountains near Chang Mai Thailand. I bought a vacuum bag of beans, more or less forgot about them till I got home a month later and found them in my luggage. The best coffee I ever tasted.

Another sleeper is Mami: Mami Coffee Order some if you can't find it, you will be pleasantly surprised.
Have you ever tried Ruta Maya's shade grown Organic coffee whole beans??

They are the best IMHO.. sugar
Old 10-27-2011
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road
I'm in the French Press crowd; best coffee I've ever made.

I got it for the boat, but I use it more when I'm camping.

We've done the roasting and grinding thing, it's too much work. We buy good beans and only do the grinding now.

Best coffee I've ever had? Probably the Turkish coffee at the Holiday Inn in Ashkelon, Israel. Maybe it was just the view of the Med from my room's balcony...

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-05-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
Re: Perfect fresh ground Coffee

We buy our beans from fair trade Chang Mai and always travel with a thermos French press. I can ask for nam ron or build a coconut husk fire but I always get my Java.