Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Perfect fresh ground Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefossl View Post
Lightweights. We roast our coffee with FZ-RR-700: Motorized Home Roaster | COFFEE-TECH ENGINEERING (notice 12v motor) then hand grind with a ceramic bur grinder and finally make espresso/cappuccino with Bellman Espresso Maker Review..
For my non electric set up I am currently building I use a pour over filter (likely the best method of brewing larger quantities without electricity) and brew directly into the preheated thermos and it stays hot without burning most of the day. I also have a Aerobie that is similar to a French press but vastly superior especially if you do not follow the directions that come with it. I will be getting a hand crank grinder, though I am reading mixed things about the Kyrocera/Hario Skerton Hand Coffee Grinders due to the fact that the burs are not supported on both top and bottom, but I do see much choice as it seems to be the best compact hand grinder. I might go with a Zassenhaus Knee Mill but they are pretty big and don’t grind very fine as well. The Orphan Espresso hand grinders look like good choices but are pricey. As far as espresso I have a stainless steel Bialetti Moka pot but I am not thrilled with it but again there does not seem to be much out there that is significantly better so I will likely stick with it. But that Atomic Coffee machine looks interesting, I will have to research how well it works. For roasting I will go “old school” and use a Whirly Pop popcorn maker over either the stove or the grill. I figure it uses no electricity, and it multipurpose as it does more than one thing(roast coffee, pop popcorn, works as a stock pot). My biggest complaint about coffee equipment is that it is almost all mono task devices and take up a lot of room and only serve one use. As far as roasting your own, if you are planning on cruising it makes sense. Green coffee will stay fresh for a couple of years, while roasted looses freshness after a few weeks. So if you keep up a schedule of roasting a couple of weeks worth at a time you can always have fresh coffee even in the middle of the ocean. You might even be able to buy some green coffee directly from the plantations if you happen to find any!
bwalker42 likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2012
Banned

bwalker42 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just gotta have my coffee!! Slurp!! <3
Old 04-08-2012

dnf777 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
I bought my stove top percelator at Walmart in the camping section. It was very inexpensive but I can't remember the price. The nice thing about a perc is that the coffee is very hot which my wife truly appreciates. I use filters which I get at Publix which are made for percelators.

Yes! I had an old blue enamel/white fleck camping percolator from walmart. They give a distinct flavor that hard-core coffee drinkers seem to tolerate, and are simple and easy to use and clean.