SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Provisioning (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/)
-   -   Perfect fresh ground Coffee (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/79413-perfect-fresh-ground-coffee.html)

bwalker42 10-03-2011 05:05 PM

Perfect fresh ground Coffee

I just got a hand cranked coffee grinder from Amazon for only $23.00.
Now I do not ever have to worry about freshly ground coffee beans aboard from Ruta Maya's Shade grown organic Coffee! Yum! or Yhum with Rhum! Arrggghh!

mgmhead 10-03-2011 08:05 PM

Goood for you Walker! I'm still looking for a great percolator to replace my drip coffee maker.

Enjoy!

pinayreefer 10-12-2011 03:16 PM

I don't know about great, but after looking everywhere I finally found a percolator at REI (Recreational Equipment Institute, there's one in Atlanta), a 10 cup for $50. Pricey for a stovetop percolator but it's stainless! I figured I'd have to grind my own beans or do it at the store but the standard Starbucks grind worked fine. It's mighty fine sitting in the cockpit on a cool fall morning sipping a nice cup of coffee.
bwalker42, thanks for the info though. I will have to check out Amazon for that little item.

MarkSF 10-12-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgmhead (Post 782308)
Goood for you Walker! I'm still looking for a great percolator to replace my drip coffee maker.

Enjoy!

A french press makes the best coffee by far and could not be more simple.

chef2sail 10-12-2011 05:05 PM

Check out this neat french press/ thermos. We bought it last year and have our Kona every morning in the cockpit frsh ground and fresh made. Percolated coffee produces bitter coffee. Try it this way.. you will love it.

Dave

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

deniseO30 10-12-2011 05:29 PM

mgm I have an avocado green Proctor Silex peculator from the 70s it makes great coffee LOL Great conversation piece when I have guests over.

HPLou 10-12-2011 05:30 PM

Definitely french press, the best way to go.

wingNwing 10-12-2011 05:46 PM

I don't like the gritty grounds in French press - or the amount of water that seems necessary to clean it. We use this drip-style maker: Java Drip Coffee Maker: Kitchen Accessories at L.L.Bean
Unbreakable and easy to stow. Wish it came with a thermos, though. Instead, we just drink our coffee quickly! Combine this with a hand-cranked grinder and we are two happy sailors!

ebs001 10-12-2011 06:42 PM

I bought my stove top percelator at Walmart in the camping section. It was very inexpensive but I can't remember the price. The nice thing about a perc is that the coffee is very hot which my wife truly appreciates. I use filters which I get at Publix which are made for percelators.

mgmhead 10-12-2011 08:36 PM

Went with a Farberware Classic Stainless Steel Percolator. Enjoyed fresh brewed coffee in Swan Creek last Sunday morning and it was not bitter. If I decide I don't like perked coffee I'll throw away the guts and use it like a tea kettle so I can make coffee with a french press. Agree with Jaye though, takes a lot of water to clean the press.

Thanks for all the suggestions...MGM