Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2003

Jeffamc is on a distinguished road
Only one food group?

How safe is it to only eat from one food group? I mean the grain, cereal, rice group. If you have no refrideration it would be easy to just bring large amounts of rice, oatmeal, and cerial. Together they contain alot of protien, vitamins, ect. Is it alright to just live off that one food group?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2003

Jeffamc is on a distinguished road
Only one food group?

Could also take supplements, I believe b12 is only found in animal products so, would probably need b12 supplements. It would just be alot easier to only stock up on rice, cereal, oatmeal because they last a very long time and need no refridgeration, and also are very easy to prepare for consumption.
Old 09-25-2003

eryka32 is on a distinguished road
Only one food group?

Nope, not enough. There are 8 amino acids (building blocks of protein) that the human body cannot synthesize, therefore you need to get all 8 from your food. Grains in general have only 6 of the 8. You will need to combine the grain food group with beans, nuts, seeds, or small amounts of animal products such as eggs, dairy, fish, meat, etc. Take your inspiration from the poor cultures of the world, or a good vegetarian cookbook. For example, you''ll find some verson of rice & beans from Mexico to India -- because it works. Dried beans will be as easy to store as grain. You can also get powdered milk, if that''s an acceptable part of your planned diet. Without refrigeration, some veggies do well canned (tomatoes) or dried (mushrooms). At the very least I''d take a good multi-vitamin everyday.

Invest in a good pressure cooker, too. It will save time and fuel. And the sealed-on lid will prevent splashes of boiling water when conditions are rough.
Old 10-04-2003

flicker is on a distinguished road
Only one food group?

Jeffamc,

Beans and rice is only one of a few food combinations that will give you enough complete protein to survive and thrive, but, being a meat-eater, I don''t remember them.

I know that soaking corn in lye creates hominy, which is conducive to adding protien to your diet but I don''t remember why. (It''s been a long, long time since I looked into these things.)

And there are many books on vegetarianism that can help you. Me, myself? I expect to eat a lot of beans and rice, but then supplement this with local fish, chicken and meats. Try reading Allcard''s "The Intricate Art of Living Afloat" to start.

Chas
Old 10-26-2003

Heruka is on a distinguished road
Only one food group?

I ate 1 food group while in college. the breads/rice/potatoes/maruchan noodles group. not much choice when your food budget is $2 a day.
Old 11-12-2003

sailnaway is on a distinguished road
Only one food group?

Rice is good if you chop up a lobster tail sautay in margerin and put some peas in it fish sautayed and used to replace the lobster is great. The lobster is easy to get down south with a mask and fins look in the turtle grass not way out on the deep reef. Fish is also easy to get make sure you have a salt water lisc in Florida and make sure it is ok to spear fish where your at. The fish and rice and some noodles will all go very far. You sound like me when I was a squid now I am a shark and need meat which is bad. Put a little vasaline on the lips of the cans to keep them from rusting. Quick boil dip eggs 3 seconds or smear them all over with vasoline to keep air out they last for a couple of weeks just break them in a cup first to make sure they have not gone bad.
Soy milk or the stuff they sell in sealed cartons is good but expensive. peanut butter is a must but it makes a lousy patty and don''t fry to good. Dried fruit granola canned fish steaks are cheep sardines will not get you a date but are good.Plain biscuit crackers with no salt to replace bread. Crackers are good for snacks. Everything in sealed tight containers not the cheepo ones good ones. Rice in the salt shaker and a cracker or two in the sugar to keep the moisture out. Hope the tips help OH! take three times what you think you will need you will need it.