Soap for salt & fresh water - SailNet Community
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By travlineasy
  • 1 Post By PBzeer
  • 1 Post By wingNwing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-08-2012 Thread Starter

Soap for salt & fresh water

We are getting ready to cruise to the Bahamas and I'm looking for the best soap that can be used in salt and fresh water. I would like to use the same soap for as many tasks as possible (shampoo, clothes, dishes & showering). Any ideas or am I asking too much of one product?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-08-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

Dawn dish detergent--no doubt about it.

Gary
post #3 of 8 Old 02-08-2012

Definitely .... Dawn dish detergent !
post #4 of 8 Old 02-09-2012

What about good old "JOY" dish detergent? Would love a gallon bottle. I guess the Dawn might have a floral aroma?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-09-2012

We've always used Joy (or Dawn, or whatever) liquid dish soap for cruiser's showers in salt water, with a fresh water rinse in the cockpit. However I have been told by a member of the fairer sex that it's harsh on the hair. Me, I can't tell the difference, but then I don't have all that much hair.

Carolina Wind Yachting Center, Washington, NC
Charters * Brokerage * Pacific Seacraft * Zodiac

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-09-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

I buy Palmolive dish soap in the large bottle, from which I refill a small bottle, that I use for most things. I also buy the 12 pack of large bars of Ivory soap for showering.
Freedom007 likes this.

John
Ontario 32 - Aria

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

post #7 of 8 Old 02-09-2012
formerly posting as eryka

We tried Lemon Joy (makes lots of foamy bubbles in anything, warm or cold, salt or fresh), Castile Soap, and Shaklee Basic-H concentrate. Finally I decided that, yes, it was possible to do all our cleaning jobs with one product, and yes, it was also asking a bit much of any one product. Each of these "could" do all the jobs, but couldn't do all the jobs WELL. We're in this cruising thing long-term (10 years and counting so far) and hadn't found a cleaner that didn't feel like it was compromised in one application or another. And over the long haul (we've been living aboard fulltime for 10 years and counting) it felt like camping out. When you think about it, the simplicity is nice in theory, but in practice, it doesn't take so much space for an extra bottle or two. It was worth finding space on the boat for a nice cleanser that was gentle on my sun- and wind-burned skin, and a shampoo/conditioner that made my hair happy.
bwalker42 likes this.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
post #8 of 8 Old 02-09-2012

............take care and "Joy", Aythya crew

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.