Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009

SOUNDBOUNDER is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogins View Post
Anyone seen a hand operated bean grinder? I did a quick web search and couldn't find one.

\\bruce
They are around. Not real common, but camping stores usually have a version for sale.

Campmor: Camp Coffee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2009

badsanta is on a distinguished road
I use nescafe clasico instant. I cant stand the coffee grounds of a french press, it's to much of a mess for me.
Old 01-27-2009

Guidera48 is on a distinguished road
Coffee

I use a Senseo machine. It heats up in under 90 seconds and makes excellent coffee. The pods are available in many diferent cofees and store well in their own round container. It does put a load on the inverter, but a short one.
Old 01-28-2009

dsmylie is on a distinguished road
Question Whats medium ground???

What constitutes medium ground? Is it something you can buy off the shelf or do you have to ground it yourself? I have an old french press that I like but I'm just using Maxwell house med roast which seems like a fine ground to me.
Old 01-28-2009

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
If the can on the shelf says "ground coffee" that's medium ground. That's most canned coffee.

Some of them say "fine" or "extra fine" for automatic drip machines, the medium ground is better suited for percolators and other gizmos that take a long time to pass the water through the coffee.

But the water temperature and the time the grounds are in contact with the water, will make as big a difference as the "ground" choice. The finer the grind, the more coffee essence comes out in less time. That can be too much, if you are using very hot water and boiling them over and over, the way some percs do.
Old 01-28-2009

dsmylie is on a distinguished road
Thanks
Old 01-28-2009

mazzy is on a distinguished road
Anyone have an opinion on the portable espresso makers such as the Handpresso Wild or the Preva? Thinking of adding one to the galley.

Mike

Just saw something else called a Java Wand, for sipping french press straight from the mug
Old 02-28-2009
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
I just bought a 3 cup aluminum stove top espresso maker, it's great and it was only $6.00 at a big discount store. It does not taste exactly like professionally made espresso but it is good. If you want perfect espresso AFAIK you need to spend some real money on an electric machine and then find some electricity. There are many ways to brew coffee and each has it's own flavor. This is merely another variation.
Old 03-08-2009

Keldee is on a distinguished road
To make sure the coffe is REALY good get an old fashioned coffee grinder and grind it fresh every day.
Old 03-08-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzy View Post
Anyone have an opinion on the portable espresso makers such as the Handpresso Wild or the Preva? Thinking of adding one to the galley.

Mike

Just saw something else called a Java Wand, for sipping french press straight from the mug
Mazzy,
I realise you posted this a couple of months back but you are still around the place so I hope you will see this.

The HandPresso Wild only uses those pod things. Where I want to go cruising they will probably be impossible to find. So the HP is out.

The Preva looks more promising but I wonder whether it can hold enough coffee to make it practical. We like our coffee espresson strong but would have the equivalent of two short blacks per cup. With the Preva that means loading the thing four times to make two cups of coffee. Too much mucking about.

OTOH for $30.00 would be worth a shot....no pun intended.

There is a European brand of 12v espresso machine that looks capable of making two short blacks at a time.

::: Velox Italy s.r.l. ::: - Un collaboratore per la casa -

(by my reckoning an espresso is half a short black. short black is a double espresso. all else is a crime against good coffee.)

OTOH I'm wondering if an inverter with a minimal espresso machine might well be the answer. We have one in the office that you fill with water each time you use it, putting in only enough for your immediate need.

I've posted this before, maybe even in this thread, but for now we also use one of those stove top Italian jobs. They don't do a bad job but the result can be a tad bitter for some tastes. the stainless ones are the best and you need one with the broadest flatest base possible or it won't sit happily on marine stove's gas ring.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 03-08-2009 at 03:57 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.