Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Anyone that is on the west coast and thinks that a major earthquake may not put you out of commission for several weeks is not thinking. And if we look at past performance of FEMA during Katrina and how people can act during a natural disaster, it is easy to see why you need a good supply of food and water. No "dooms day" other than what can happen when mother nature shows her wrath.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
Jim, you almost sound like you're digging for a certain kind of answer.
Tom, I didn't mean for it to come off that way. Look, I've been overseas when the $#!% hit the fan and food was genuinely hard to come by. I was younger and dumber and I’d avoid putting myself in that situation today (but that is topic for another day).

I get your perspective that after a bad quake a boat in the marina could be safer than staying in a house that could be structurally compromised. And I get that after living through Katrina someone in New Orleans might want a stash.

What piqued my curiosity is that I’ve seen a couple of discussions like this one and have heard of several sailors locally who are stocking up. There seems to be an underlying feeling of “something’s going to happen” that I’m trying to understand.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 02-17-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by goeken View Post
I believe he was in a car accident in the 80's and had some brain damage.
Quote:
My understanding is that he had stopped cruising to finish his book in the 1980's, and a year after he finished it he had an accident. Some kind of head trauma. He never sailed again and had to move in with his parents so they could care for him.

Thank you, I hadn't heard. Always a sad thing, glad he had family to care for him. We are actually very fragile, amazing we last as long as we do.
Old 02-17-2012
Crotchety Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
What piqued my curiosity is that I’ve seen a couple of discussions like this one and have heard of several sailors locally who are stocking up. There seems to be an underlying feeling of “something’s going to happen” that I’m trying to understand.
I have a sense that something is going to happen because we are overdue for a large earthquake in southern California. Quakes have been on the uptick for the past few years. Whether or not others have a sense that there could be other man-made disasters is another point, that when brought up seems to illicit nasty responses, so I didn't want to got there. As it seems, there are some on this forum that seem to take pleasure in attacking others for believing differently and I didn't want to provoke that.

What is interesting to me, and I will use it when we head out on our great adventure, is how people cope with storage and what kinds of foods people have amassed. Be it for disasters or extended voyages, it's all the same.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 02-17-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Google, Super Volcanos. I think we are something on the order of 30,000 years past due for an eruption. These arnt the cute little mountains, with lava spewing out the top. These are so big, they blew the mountains away and sunk back into valley floors the size of states. The next most likely is yellowstone. These are planet killers, you can't stock enough food. Just live and enjoy everyday.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-17-2012
Crotchety Old Member

Think I'll plan more for what the west coast scientists are telling us. We've had a few FEMA drills this past year because they're expecting a large earthquake and the activity on the Pacific rim has increased this past year.

I do live and enjoy the day, and even more knowing that I've been responsible enough to have a plan "B" in the event that an earthquake does hit. I would bet that people in the Gulf have plans in the event a hurricane hits their area and people in the northeast have plans in the event that a large snow storm causes outages. People on the west coast plan for the possibility of large earthquakes, which have happened during our lifetime and proven to be events that we should plan for,

S/V Footprints

Youtube

Old 02-17-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
...there are some on this forum that seem to take pleasure in attacking others for believing differently and I didn't want to provoke that..
Not my style. I'm just a big 'ol teddy bear

That's also why you never see me posting in off topic or politics/religion.

Quote:
What is interesting to me, and I will use it when we head out on our great adventure, is how people cope with storage and what kinds of foods people have amassed. Be it for disasters or extended voyages, it's all the same.
Here're a couple of sources that might help:
There's a thread here on Sailnet about provisioning for the Caribbean
Provisioning for the Caribbean

Good Old Boat - Honey, I tossed out the cooler article

Good Old Boat Galley Book Good Old Boat - Collections

Lin & Larry Pardy have some tips on traveling without a fridge on their site. Knowing how to store food without refrigeration opens up the fridge for things that do need to be kept cold Sailing Blog | Nautical Book Authors | Lin & Larry Pardey

If you're a member of Practical Sailor's online site search their archives. They did a couple of stories a few years ago on provisioning and storage without refrigeration.

The main thing on my boat and probably yours is storage. I'm in the process of adding additional cabinets in my boat that will more than double our storage space.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 02-17-2012
Crotchety Old Member

Not you, Jim. I've seen it in other parts of the forum with other people.

Thanks for the links. I do go over to Lin and Larry's forum from time to time, but have not read the articles. I'll have a look at them.

Our boat has plenty of storage, but the problem is, like yours, Columbia forgot to install the cabinets. We're doing the same with ours.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

Old 02-17-2012

sd1953 is on a distinguished road
I live in Florida, we have hurricanes. The state tells us we will be on our own for 72 hours after the storm. It takes that long to mobilize resources to assist. I worked as a volunteer after hurricane Charlie in 2004. The damage done was amazing. The mobilization was also impressive. But there could be complications that require us to be on our own for more than 72 hours. Most of these posts are about planning for high probability events that will disrupt the LOCAL community. This should NOT be confused with the Armageddon acolytes who are predicting a global collapse of society. Planning for the latter event requires moving to a compound in northern Idaho and buying lots of guns and bullets. (And leaving your boat very far away.)
Old 02-17-2012
Crotchety Old Member

If something did hit the entire country, economically or whatever, the last place I would be is on land where the people around me might want what I have. I'd be sailing south into the Pacific and look at it as an excuse for early retirement.

S/V Footprints

Youtube