Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Re: Have over 7 Days Food Aboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Too true re the Miracle Foods. Has amazed me in the past to see boats with lots of food stuffs on board that to my mind are inedible and to then find that the crew have never actually tested the stuff. While we keep various tinned stuff for the times when we are stuck at anchor and cannot (easily) get to shore I fail to see why anyone needs vast quantities of supplies unless you expect to be away from civilisation for a serious period of time. I think I'm repeating myself here but there is no good reason why most cruisers cannot eat fresh.
Tdw, you are so right, fresh is best! No scurvy for you.

But in the 'great white north' stored food is king. I've always tried to eat off the land as much as possible, and that means I store a year's supply of food as much as possible. (At home, not on the boat.) Just now getting low on fresh onions from the garden. I've learned to store fresh winter squash for up to a year. In fact, I just made my wife's favorite, squash candy, today. The butternut squash are so sweet that the juice that comes out can be dried in a glass pan on the wood stove, then rolled up and sliced into candies. And some of the squash are two or three feet long, mostly neck - which is like the tail of a lobster, solid meat. I also learned to dry them - jerked squash. Can carry a lot easily, but no doubt low in vitamins. High in sugar though.

I do it because I like eating my own clean organic food, and I like the work and the independence. When we are on the boat, we have more than enough and don't need to go to shore. That means we can go to wild areas, and don't need to go to town. I enjoy the wilds, the longer I can stay, the more deeply I can get into that special feeling. . . . . that's my excuse!

And when spring comes, we grow fresh salad and eat tons. I have some covered parsley, kale etc. that with the mild winter should be fine, hope to get some this week as things are melting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
So we stocked up on bags of fresh potatoes in Los Palmas for crossing to Trinidad.Most went real bad from the inside before landfall.Even tho the water was green with algae we were ok because of pasta spaghetti and macaroni supplemented with pasta and twice toasted bread and pasta. Did you know that when life rafts are repacked, the emergency food blocks and water packs are turfed?. With good timing , free for the asking.
Good potatoes should sprout, not rot. They do need air and darkness, can't keep them in plastic.

Pasta supplemented with pasta. Lucky you had green water or you might have gotten scurvy!
Old 03-14-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

We were growing our own protein on the hull. Lots of hair like sea weed and goose necked barnacles and the occasional tuna, dorado. Potatoes were in hemp gunny sacks. Here on the coast it's hard to go hungry. Lots of molluscs ,crabs ,prawns, fish ,fungi and salads year 'round. Stocked are condiments and alcohol .Stuff preserved in wide mouth Mason Jars for when you do the big town.
Old 03-15-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
We were growing our own protein on the hull. Lots of hair like sea weed and goose necked barnacles and the occasional tuna, dorado. Potatoes were in hemp gunny sacks. Here on the coast it's hard to go hungry. Lots of molluscs ,crabs ,prawns, fish ,fungi and salads year 'round. Stocked are condiments and alcohol .Stuff preserved in wide mouth Mason Jars for when you do the big town.
Do you guys can your food aboard? The wife wants to get into that for when we cruise, but the energy needed may be prohibitive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 03-15-2012

Back before I finished the freezer we lived up the coast and always had fresh stuff off the land. Canned the surplus for trade and ship's stores. 20 liter pressure cooker on kerosene Primus Fish takes 90 min which is the time the Primus will run on one pumping so time to pick berries or mushrooms. In the fall we'd trade pinks in quarts for veg and fruit at a farmers mark.Canned that too. Need 1/4 1/2 and pint size for variety. Stick with wide mouths and replace lid seals each time.If the lid doesn't belly in when you cool it, open and eat it. Later, if it doesn't suck air upon opening, toss it .In over 60 years I've never had a bad one. Cleanliness and lots of heat does it. It's heavy and breakable so I built designated shelving in the bilge.Come prepared to can the extra tuna or dorado at sea. As a supplement to eating fresh fish you gotta have lots of corn meal and flour for the johnny cakes.( and pric nam pla)
tomperanteau likes this.
Old 03-15-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Skygazer,
Being in a situation where you can grow your own produce is a fine thing and when my sailing days are over I hope to settle down with a nice plot to grow my own but right now with our plan to be living on board before this year is out we will have to rely on bought produce other than the odd seafood catch or gather.

In general therefore keeping supplies for longer than a few weeks is simply not practical if you want to eat fresh. Ergo we will have a store of mainly tinned food on board but it will cover weeks not months. I qualify this by saying that if we were to be heading out into wilderness for an extended stay we would have to vary the stores we carry but I'd treat that as a special case.

Tom .... I find it hard to believe that canning your own produce on board would be viable. Better to do it at your home base and take down to boat. Think size of galley v kitchen, work area, unlimited water for clean up and far superior range. I'd like to have my own preserved fruit in particular but have to be done on land methinks.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 03-16-2012

What can you do when da home base is da boat? I grew up on a dirt poor farm and we canned everything but the heifer and the chickens which we ate fresh As my horizon expanded to the central coast it was natural to use those skills for dietary and monetary benefit . I make a pretty good cask of wine. I even planted rhubarb up the inlets for fun and pruned the old fruit trees on abandoned homesteads ( see Curve Of Time) If this all sounds like too much work .just stop at wallyworld on the way down to the marina for a day sail.
Old 03-16-2012
Crotchety Old Member

Capt Len: You seem to have it right. I'm going to make the wife read what you've written here about canning.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 03-16-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tdw: Sounds like you may be right. Our daughter is into canning, but we have not been. Still looking for advice and ways of preserving.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

Old 03-16-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
Capt Len: You seem to have it right. I'm going to make the wife read what you've written here about canning.
Aside from the offensive tone of "I'm going to make the wife read..."
(Those of us on our second wives have learned the wisdom of 1.) not attempting to "make the wife" do anything and 2.) not referring to one's wife as "the wife"),
I have to ask, why not learn to can yourself?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.