Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Have over 7 Days Food Aboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
Is this sarcastic?
Make the wife explain it to you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
As an alternative to canning fish (which I prefer) you can salt, dry or smoke. Cool smoke is great flavour ,sugar optional, but product needs canning or freezing if you can keep from eating right way.
I had smoked mackerel (no sugar) once in Nova Scotia. I was camping out on a ridge 20 miles back in the country, in a spot crawling with bears. I had an open plastic tarp for a shelter. I went to New Glasgow and got the smoked mackerel at the fish store.

Man, was it good!! How good? Well, when I got to my tarp it was dark, and I was worried that my great smelling smoked fish might attract a bear; so I considered hanging it in a tree or something. Then I realized, "This is MY smoked fish, and I'm NOT going to share it with some bear, who probably doesn't even know how to share".

So I ended up sleeping with it inside my sleeping bag, because I wasn't interested in sharing either, and I was willing to fight for it. Had no problems, and ate the rest of it the next day.
MedSailor likes this.
Old 03-18-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post
I had smoked mackerel (no sugar) once in Nova Scotia. I was camping out on a ridge 20 miles back in the country, in a spot crawling with bears. I had an open plastic tarp for a shelter. I went to New Glasgow and got the smoked mackerel at the fish store.

Man, was it good!! How good? Well, when I got to my tarp it was dark, and I was worried that my great smelling smoked fish might attract a bear; so I considered hanging it in a tree or something. Then I realized, "This is MY smoked fish, and I'm NOT going to share it with some bear, who probably doesn't even know how to share".

So I ended up sleeping with it inside my sleeping bag, because I wasn't interested in sharing either, and I was willing to fight for it. Had no problems, and ate the rest of it the next day.
I don't know what kind of bears you have in Nova Scotia, but the bears that have been around while hiking in the Rockies and Cascades would tear into your sleeping bag for that fish and pick their teeth clean with your neck bone.

Bear boxes on more populated trails look like fallout shelters. Some have zip lines between trees for you to haul provisions up high. In fact, you don't even want to sleep anywhere near the pretected stash or where you might clean off scraps. They will come checking. Grizzlies are mean.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-18-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Bears gotta eat too. Cleans up the gene pool.Try a polar bear on deck in the morning to add a little excitement to your arctic cruise.
Old 03-19-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Unless you've smoked and bake dried the oysters they are better fresh or frozen for later. Clams can well. Watch Red Tide. A 24 hr soak over the side in a mesh bag to purge them and boil the works.Shuck, rinse and put in jars.Chowder a year later. Back at the market ,everything,in season, is cheaper by the case. Can it too.I bought cases of corn at Refuge Cove (who da thunk it) and got nibblets all the way across the Salish Sea.
tomperanteau likes this.
Old 03-19-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Make the wife explain it to you.
So why the need to take a swipe at me and try to antagonize in a thread where people are getting along?

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 03-19-2012
Crotchety Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
I'm running a bit low now but typically have about 3 months of food and booze. I get the good fresh stuff every few days to add to the long term stores I carry.
We just restocked and rotated canned foods that we had since 2009. Decided to store all the booze in the bilge that is usually wasted space.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 03-19-2012
Crotchety Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Tom .... I find it hard to believe that canning your own produce on board would be viable. Better to do it at your home base and take down to boat. Think size of galley v kitchen, work area, unlimited water for clean up and far superior range. I'd like to have my own preserved fruit in particular but have to be done on land methinks.
You are probably right. We may end up drying what we catch/trade for to preserve it.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

Old 03-19-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
So why the need to take a swipe at me and try to antagonize in a thread where people are getting along?
I'll say it in plain english, since in an effort to be gentle and non-confrontational I must have been too obscure in the post that started all of this-
If canning interests YOU, Why not learn to can YOURSELF instead of "making the wife" learn, or are you too chauvinist to do "the wife's" work?

If you found that antagonistic, consider why. Then consider what constitutes getting along. If ignoring chauvinistic demeaning statements like yours is "getting along", I'll pass, thanks.

Old 03-19-2012

Rozz is on a distinguished road

i keep a good supply of food on board because in socal trying to get 25mi to my boat after a desater would be hard enough, muchless trying to do it with all ur goods. i also work 1mi from my boat, so i go there on luch breaks a lot instead of going out to eat. i would say i keep on avg. about 6weeks of food but only about 3weeks of water
1967 Bristol 29 #35

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.