Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
I have 4 cases of MRE's, with 7-9 days of food per case, so a minimum of 28 days. I could have it loaded on my boat in about 10 minutes.

I love it:

The Dept. of Health and Human Services and FEMA want you to have several days of water and canned food on hand to survive a natural catastrophe.

The Dept. of Homeland Security suspect you of being a terrorist for doing so.

That's it, I say we arrest everyone at HHS and FEMA for foementing terrorism and insurrection.
jrd22 likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
We probably have a good three months of food that we keep stocked. Just in case something happens, like a major earthquake or whatever, we're prepared. Other than that it's nice to be able to just head out for a weekend at Catalina without needing to provision for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 02-13-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
During the summer I have enough food and booze onboard to stay fat and happy for at least two weeks, maybe more. Next fall, however, I'll likely have at least 30 days supply when I head down the ditch. Guess I'll be right at the top of the most wanted list.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 02-13-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
We're probably good for 3 weeks to a month (although it would get pretty ugly after the first 7-10 days. We'd run out of fresh greens and RUM). Feb 2010 in the Bahamas Out Islands, the fronts were coming through every 3 days or so. We were "lucky" to have been stormbound within an easy drive of Rock Harbour and its grocery stores; other friends spent 2-1/2 weeks unable to leave the boat in the Bahamas Land & Sea Park (no stores at all, they were dependent on what they and other cruisers on nearby moorings had stowed).
SVAuspicious likes this.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 02-13-2012
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road
"According to the feds, you may be a terrorist if you store more than seven days food. "

waitaminit, are you effing serious?? I need a citation for this. Who has the time to go grocery shopping more than once a week?
Old 02-13-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by -OvO- View Post
"According to the feds, you may be a terrorist if you store more than seven days food. "

waitaminit, are you effing serious?? I need a citation for this. Who has the time to go grocery shopping more than once a week?
And tell your grandma that if she keeps canning those veggies, she's goin' down!
Rozz likes this.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 02-14-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by -OvO- View Post
. Who has the time to go grocery shopping more than once a week?
Most of Europe.

Old 02-14-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
The Dept. of Health and Human Services and FEMA want you to have several days of water and canned food on hand to survive a natural catastrophe.

The Dept. of Homeland Security suspect you of being a terrorist for doing so.
Isn't there another batch of initials that get ya for expecting consistency in government?

The best part about not being a gourmand is that food choices are easier. Actually though, when I think about it, I have more food than the means to prepare it. I'd run out of propane first, so it would be dinghy to shore and build a fire.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 02-14-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Just finished stocking up in Penang. Basic supplies would last about 3 months. Fresh stuff is stocked up on a weekly or so basis depending on the anchorages proximity to local markets. Nice not to have to run to the store. New supply of fish hooks and lures so will be catching fish...I hope.
Bene505 and tomperanteau like this.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 02-14-2012

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Just finished stocking up in Penang. Basic supplies would last about 3 months. Fresh stuff is stocked up on a weekly or so basis depending on the anchorages proximity to local markets. Nice not to have to run to the store. New supply of fish hooks and lures so will be catching fish...I hope.
This is the way to go.

Even cruising coastal - you can get stuck in an anchorage for 5+ weeks because of bad weather. Need to eat....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.