Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
"Yes, honey, I know it is only 6 weeks to Hawaii, and yes, I know we have a chartplotter, a backup chartplotter, an Iphone with a nav app which is also loaded on the iPad, paper charts, a sextant, radar, a compass, but just in case we MISS HAWAII, could you make sure there is at least 50 pounds of bacon on board?"

Good god, tsunami wreckage DRIFTED from Japan to British Columbia in less than 6 months. Just how slow is your boat, anyway?

messer999 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Depends on how long it's been since I've been shopping. Generally Good Eats lasts 1 - 3 weeks. Cans and dried but still pretty good for another couple of weeks. Another few weeks that are pretty boring.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-14-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
In the summer usually somewhere between three days and week's worth plus a well stocked bar.

But then who would think I'm a terrorist? Just because I have black hair, a thick beard, olive skin that darkens up like a Sicilian in the summer, my head always covered because of my bald spot......Hey wait a minute!

tomperanteau likes this.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 02-14-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
"Jim"... That's not your realname, is it?

Old 02-14-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
We're going to be an outlier on this one because we just stocked up for our Pacific crossing. We have at least 6 months of food on board right now. Heck, we have 7 months worth of Kirkland brand pre-cooked bacon!
Damn! You've got me beat.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 02-14-2012
Crotchety Old Member

Was't there a comedy routine that started out, "You may be a terrorist if..."??

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 02-14-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Whenever we are heading out I like to have a couple of weeks supply on board but then we are never all that far from a town centre of some kind.

What I do not understand is the concept of stocking up for months at a time. Find that hard to work out.

Livia ... you mention seven months of pre cooked bacon !! WTF ?? Maybe Kirkland bacon is really out of this world but man that does not compute for me. For one bacon is pretty damned easy to find even in the smallest of one seahorse islands but if I had to go without bacon for a week or so it sure as hell would not concern me.

One other thought ... I do find that when I am living on boat my diet is quite different to when I am shore. Not by necessity but by taste bud demands though my shore diet is now starting to be more akin to my on board. If I was to stock up boat for multi months I know for certain I'd end up throwing half of it away as I happily tucked into fresh local produce instead of the preserved.

memo to self .... learn to fish. I know I should but I don't. Meanwhile the amount of fish and squid being hauled up by the others we were anchored near at Broughton Island made me realise I have to pull my finger out.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 02-14-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Good old Hickory Smoked bacon is worth it's weight in gold in da islands. Figure you will be out of stock by the time you hit Tonga. Betta save a pound for the passage to New Zealand..you'll be needing some comfort food on this leg.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 02-14-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
I have six months worth of dried beans and split peas, several years worth of dried eggs, several months worth of canned meat. I usually try to carry a years worth of brown rice. In the Pacific Islands, the only beans you can get most places, comes in cans, and is expensive, bulky and heavy.. Split peas? Forget it. Ditto whole wheat and brown rice , in many places. Bug free rice and flour? Non existent in French territory. If the infrastructure were to break down, Vancouver Island has three days worth of food, total. After one stormy day in Comox, the supermarket lineups were huge. Shows that many people don't even have two days worth of food on hand.
Break a mast, and have to sail under reduced jury rig, and spare food determines survival odds.
tomperanteau likes this.
Old 02-14-2012
Crotchety Old Member

Brent, I concur. Be it a natural or a man-made disaster, we're going to stay prepared for what might happen if the bad side of people comes out. We keep our office stocked as well as our boat.

S/V Footprints

Youtube