Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Now more about availability, selection price, ease of getting large quantities to the boat. Enables us to stay longer in remote spots. Heck, they had USA dill pickles!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2012
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I have six months worth of dried beans and split peas. I usually try to carry a years worth of brown rice.
Brent, how do you keep your rice and beans from going all buggy and wormy before six months? Is it just cold where you are?
Old 02-15-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
If you store large amounts of food, remember it does get old and gradually lose taste and nutrition. You need to occasionally toss it and replenish it (wasteful). The other method is to actually eat from the storage supply at all times, carefully rotating the stock. This has the advantage of teaching how to prepare and enjoy the stored food, discovering shortcomings and better ways of doing things.

Living food (whole beans, whole corn, etc.) has the advantage of lasting a long time, and it's easy to test it for life by sprouting it. Take 20 beans or whatever and soak overnight, then cover with a wet paper towel or something. In a couple of days count how many sprouted and figure the percentage of living seed. The living seed is fresher, and has the advantage of being plantable if you carry open pollinated varieties. Typically, food you buy is a hybrid and will not grow true to type when planted, likely will not be anything you want to eat. Most beans are an exception.

I've been growing lots of my own food most of my life, and saving my own seed. It's fairly easy to pay attention to the characteristics I prefer and select the better plants and save the seed from them. This means my food (seed) has a proven track record, and I'm used to cooking and eating it. My watermelons are fast and "sickeningly sweet", the two characteristics I select for.

When young I collected various corn lines from Indians in the US, and grew lots of test plots. I have one variety that I've been growing for more than 40 years, always refining it to each area I move to. I kept one jar of seed and had some sprout after 20 years. At thirty years none sprouted. (In my experience the tall tales of seed remaining viable for long periods is bunk, 5 yrs will kill most seed, many won't last 3 years.) I really wanted to grow the blue corn I got when planting corn with the Navajo in Canyon de Chelly, but it did not perform well in the northeast cool climate. I have in the last 20 years finally (small plots, keep selecting) gotten a line of very fast blue corn, but it's dark "blue jeans" blue instead of light "sky and stars" blue. I eat these various corns daily.

I stopped eating beans for awhile due to digestion problems, but since then have learned how to cook them better (takes more fresh water though). During the time of not eating beans I lost my line of super good true bush Jacob's Cattle (trout) beans that I got in Nova Scotia. Beans do not keep their life as long as corn. I've been trying various varieties and so far the best overall (not quite as delicious as the trout beans) is an heirloom light red kidney bean. I also like and eat yellow soybeans, which I buy. Very high in protein, I need to try to develop a line that grows here in Maine.

So, to summarize, rotate your stock, and use living open pollinated food where possible.

I'll also mention that survival skills are just that, skills. They are difficult and best practiced while things are going well. I grow food and hunt to obtain clean healthy food and pleasure, not really for practice. But it shows me that civilization is where it's at, rah rah survival books are over simplified. If hunting/gathering were wonderful, everyone would still be doing it.
Old 02-15-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Now more about availability, selection price, ease of getting large quantities to the boat. Enables us to stay longer in remote spots. Heck, they had USA dill pickles!
I get why you're stocking up, you're in the South China Sea. So you stock up when you can.

I cruise Barnegat Bay and the Jersey Shore. I keep a few days food on board and pick up fresh veggies at the Shop Rite on the way to the boat.

I'm curious why some others, in similar cruising grounds stock up so much food.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 02-15-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post

and saving my own seed.
In used tissues or a big jar on the bedside table?
brisolle likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-15-2012

Leocat66 is on a distinguished road
We keep fuel and water at the max, at all times. The food varies a lot, many canned items always on board, probably 2 months supply. Fridge always on, with frozen turkey steaks, turkey dogs, black bean burgers, etc.

Regular milk is a problem. At home we now use Almond milk to make bread and pizza, bran muffins, dough. Almond milk is pretty good and can also be purchased boxed, in quarts, with no refrigeration necessary until opened. The powered milk products are OK also, I forget the brand name of the one we like best.

Power for the fridge is wind and solar, which is also our source for charging. All LED lighting, in and out, reduces the power needs and provides OK interior lighting. This is supplemented with oil lamps in each area. Our stove fuel is Kerosene, which is cheap and available. We have four gallons on board, in addition to the 1 1/2 gallons in the main tank.

We have dive gear on board, with an oiless compressor, two stage regulator, which will operate from an inverter, for under water needs, cleaning, inspection, anodes etc., eliminating the need for tanks or filling. We do not have room for tanks.

Wants and Needs - Still working on our short fuel storage capacity, and a water maker. Need more spare engine parts, etc. Sure would like to hear about water without water maker as mentioned earlier.
tomperanteau and skygazer like this.
Old 02-15-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
In used tissues or a big jar on the bedside table?
BLLLLECH!! Mind Bleach! Mind Bleach!
tomperanteau likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 02-15-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leocat66 View Post
We keep fuel and water at the max, at all times. The food varies a lot, many canned items always on board, probably 2 months supply. Fridge always on, with frozen turkey steaks, turkey dogs, black bean burgers, etc.
Wow, I'm coming to dinner!

Seriously, sounds like a super good setup, I'm intrigued by the "oil less compressor" setup, tell us more - brand/model, depth length of hose, what ever, or just more description.

Last edited by skygazer; 02-15-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-15-2012
Vagabond in Training

Livia is on a distinguished road
bljones - *snort* I seriously hope the passage doesn't take 6 months! If so, we'll have to rethink this cruising thing.

tdw - Pre-cooked bacon (which Kirkland rebrands from Hormel but is surely available in other brands/countries) is less greasy in the galley and for our sanity the only kind we cook aboard. Yes, we eat local. Yes, we eat fresh. If we had to go without bacon we would be fine. But we don't have to. We have access. It lasts a long time. We like it. So...we stocked up. We dig the pig.

aeventyr60 - Thanks for the tip. That's what we had heard.

//
//
Old 02-15-2012

Leocat66 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post
Wow, I'm coming to dinner!

Seriously, sounds like a super good setup, I'm intrigued by the "oil less compressor" setup, tell us more - brand/model, depth length of hose, what ever, or just more description.
150 PSI, oil less pancake compressor from sears. Only a 2 stage regulator is needed due to the low pressure of the output, 50 feet of hose, running off of a 1500 inverter. Always have air and it runs as long as needed, no filling of high pressure tanks. Do not have room for them anyway. We are not into diving, so this fits our needs at a reasonable cost. It is also neat to be attached to the boat by the hose. (Hose being up graded to that related to specific breathing needs at this time.) While under the hull you can hear the unit cycling on and off so are able to monitor what is happening above. We are never below 5' with it.

The compressor is permanently stored below, and is never used while the engine is operating.

This setup has been used by a diver friend of ours in this area for boat owner service for the last 10 years or so, and ours is an exact copy of his, except that it can also be used when away from the dock.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.