Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012

goeken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post
What happened?
I believe he was in a car accident in the 80's and had some brain damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
I'll buy that, but not everyone stocking up is a left coaster.

I'm curious why people have made that decision. Not throwing stones. Curious.
I live near Annapolis and I keep a store of food on hand. Like I said, cases of MRE's and jugs of water. Why?

Hurricane Isabel ring any bells? The hurricane last summer (I forget the name) killed power for everyone around me for nearly 2 weeks.

I'm on a well, so if I lose power, I have no electricity to pump the water. No electric stove either. I have the boat's alcohol stove and a propane and charcoal grill for cooking. Grocery stores cleaned out, etc.

FEMA advises having a few days of canned foods and jugged water stored in your house. It seems like common sense. I can't understand why preparedness seems to baffle you.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 02-17-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
Sailing the Farm is a great book. A real shame what happened to the author.
What happened to the author?

I looked on Amazon and the books are very pricey, probably demand exceeding supply.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 02-17-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Quote:
I'll buy that, but not everyone stocking up is a left coaster.

I'm curious why people have made that decision. Not throwing stones. Curious.
I live near Annapolis and I keep a store of food on hand. Like I said, cases of MRE's and jugs of water. Why?

Hurricane Isabel ring any bells? The hurricane last summer (I forget the name) killed power for everyone around me for nearly 2 weeks.

I'm on a well, so if I lose power, I have no electricity to pump the water. No electric stove either. I have the boat's alcohol stove and a propane and charcoal grill for cooking. Grocery stores cleaned out, etc.

FEMA advises having a few days of canned foods and jugged water stored in your house. It seems like common sense. I can't understand why preparedness seems to baffle you.
I'm not baffled at all, just curious. But you seem to have misunderstood my question.

I think most people have a reasonable supply of food and emergency supplies in their home -- and if I were you I'd have a generator and a supply of stabilized gas for that well.

My question has nothing to do with what you have at home, it's this. If you're not doing a long term cruise why stockpile several months worth of food on board your boat?

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 02-17-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post
What happened?
My understanding is that he had stopped cruising to finish his book in the 1980's, and a year after he finished it he had an accident. Some kind of head trauma. He never sailed again and had to move in with his parents so they could care for him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 02-17-2012

MarioG is on a distinguished road
We have a few months worth of canned and dry goods on board. We cruise around alot and not always were we can walk or ride bikes to a store, but part has to do with the fact that when we find something on sale at a great price we like to stock up.
marianclaire likes this.
Old 02-17-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My question has nothing to do with what you have at home, it's this. If you're not doing a long term cruise why stockpile several months worth of food on board your boat?
During a natural disaster my home would not be inhabitable. Earthquakes tend to law waste to houses if they are intense enough. If they just cut power or water, I'd like to have a place to go and sustain myself in the interim.

Jim, you almost sound like you're digging for a certain kind of answer. I think that the possibility of natural disasters of some kind is very real in most parts of the U.S. Anyone that lives in an area that is prone, and is not prepared, is at the mercy of others and their kindness. I don't want my family in that position.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 02-17-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I suspect what Jim is getting at is that anyone that has the resources to own a sailboat, plus a few days of emergency supplies, isn't going to starve in the United States during any reasonable natural disaster.

If you are poor, have no resources or personal transportation, you would fare worse. But they don't own boats, nor can afford to stock mass provisions.

However, I have nothing against a doomsday plan at all. I was a boy scout, be prepared. Fielder's choice.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-17-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
My girl friend has a house in Annapolis. We can eat out of stock there for a month. We have a lot of food because we shop at Sam's Club. Everything gets rotated.

Even with a small generator to keep sump pumps, freezer, and fridge going we usually end up on the boat when the power goes out. More water, more fuel, a goodly supply of food, fridge, freezer, cooker, Internet, VHF and HF radio for marine and ham, diesel genset I can run for well over a week with fuel onboard.

If conditions don't allow for the 10 minute drive between boat and house I can anchor in a creek near the house and dinghy/walk 1/2 mile.

The biggest hole in our plan now is gasoline for the gas generator at the house. I only have 10 gallons (rotated) plus whatever is in the truck (36 gallons full).
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 02-17-2012

marianclaire is on a distinguished road
7 days of food sure came in handy for me. I arrived at the marina about 4 days before Irene was predicted to hit. I picked up a few days of fresh stuff on my way in. Got the MC anchored and then spent the next three days helping at the marina moving other boats. Road out the storm on the MC and worked the following week at the marina repairing damage. Post storm there was no electricity as far as 80 miles inland, water system compromised, the marinas ice chest had gone walkabout, roads flooded etc. We worked dawn to dusk and I went back to the boat each evening. Everything I needed was on-board food and drink, power etc. It was like cruising without moving. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.