Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012

Agri is on a distinguished road
Re: Crabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Steam them live.
Use beer instead of water.
Heat the kettle, use a mesh bottom to keep the crabs from swimming in the beer, wait until there's a good 'head of steam', quickly dump the crabs, liberally sprinkle the crabs with OLD BAY seasoning, jam the lid down quickly to stop the escapees .... Yum.

If there are any toxins in the backfin or claw meat ... the manner/choice of 'execution' wont make any difference. The yellow 'liver' (hepatopancreas) or 'tomalley' ... thats where most of the toxins will be concentrated, few eat the tomalley any more for this reason.
I suppose if you steam them the toxins in the liver wouldn't get all mixed about as I assume they do if you boil them.

Side note, just looking at the locations of all the posters that responded, East Coasters all boil alive and us West coasters butcher first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agri View Post
I suppose if you steam them the toxins in the liver wouldn't get all mixed about as I assume they do if you boil them.

Side note, just looking at the locations of all the posters that responded, East Coasters all boil alive and us West coasters butcher first.
I've always boiled crabs and lobsters live, and I've always lived on the West Coast.

Crabs (and crustaceans in general) don't really have a liver. They have something called a "hepatopanceas", which functions somewhat similarly to both a liver and a pancreas. Many folks consider it something of a delicacy. It can concentrate some toxins from the animal's food, particularly the toxins originating in some dinoflagellates (e.g., PSP from red tide plankton). But I've never heard of it being a particular hazard to people. Most commercial fishing is pretty far removed from places likely to have high concentrations of such toxins anyway.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 04-15-2012

seaojoe is on a distinguished road

I start by steaming both crabs and lobster, in a well seasoned beer mix then finish them on the grill.
garlic butter, with more old bay.
Old 04-15-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

My designated cooker is a propane hotplate They only last a couple of years but very cheap so no biggie. I'd prefer a real cast iron type but heavy and no room. I mounted it on an aluminum platform fastened outboard to the davit/seat combo..Both the burner and the small Weber barbi are easily accessible from the seat and tank is in the dingy so no propane inboard.I carry two 20 lb'ers.and two separate hoses.None of this would be ideal for offshore but here in the Salish Sea it works for me. I heartily recommend the WeberQif you can figure how to mount it.I used hose clamps thru slots in the table. Just remember to change the water between the crabs and the cobbed corn.

Last edited by Capt Len; 04-15-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2012

Agri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
... Most commercial fishing is pretty far removed from places likely to have high concentrations of such toxins anyway.

I'm referring more to the crabs you catch yourself. The next bay up from me (Maple Bay), has a constant warning from the DFO about consuming the hepatopanceas. I grew up boiling them alive, but that warning is one of the reasons why I clean first. Another is, if you clean 'em first you can fit more in the pot, and it takes less time to cook.
jrd22 likes this.

Last edited by Agri; 04-15-2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: horrible spelling mistake
Old 04-15-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I assume you are talking about Pacific Dungeness crabs, which are quite different from the blue crab. When I lived in Spokane, WA they were sold in the grocery stores for about 25 cents a pound, and a 5-pound crab was nothing unusual. Most everyone along the coast boiled their crabs in large caldrons, they were pretty bland tasting so most of the locals just topped their salads with them.

Then this upstart easterner shows up with a huge box of Old Bay Seafood Seasoning, picks some fresh-boiled crabs, makes some crab-cakes (Phillips recipe), some deviled crab stuffed mushroom caps, stuffed shrimp, crab imperial and cream of crab soup. Well, the neighborhood went straight to Hell. The big problem back then was I had to call my dad on the telephone in Maryland and have Old Bay shipped to Spokane. This was just a once in a while kind of thing until the neighbors created new recipes using Old Bay. It got to the point where Dad was sending a case of Old Bay nearly every month and sometimes more often than that. When I left Spokane just about everyone on Spokane's South Hill had become an Old Bay convert. You may want to check out some of the recipes at OLD BAYģ | HOME

Gary
Old 04-15-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Does that mean we've been doin it wrong all these years? All that wasted added cholesterol, inuf to make my heart quiver, it is.Did I tell you about the bay tree I planted just so I'd have fresh leaves? Now adays ,unless you've deep pockets ,better to run your own trap. Up da coast.
Old 04-16-2012
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
I heartily recommend the WeberQif you can figure how to mount it.
Good to know. I've been eye-balling these for quite a while. I was thinking I could removing the nylon handles/stand assembly to make it smaller and fabricating a different mount of some sort out of aluminium. My last BBQ (Kuuma) was such a piece of junk I hated having it attached to my boat. I set it out at the dumpster for someone else to have at it. I've had others in the past that weren't too bad but I think the quality of that Webber could be good.

Crab:
With the bottom of the crab facing me, I grab half the legs with one hand and the other half with the other hand and knock the shell off in one quick motion on a winch or my windlass. Then I break it in half, give it a quick clean and throw it in the pot. I pretty much always steam them...yum yum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse

Last edited by Bilgewater; 04-16-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old 04-17-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Does that mean we've been doin it wrong all these years?
Some folks just lead a sheltered life! Next time yer' in this part of the world, look me up and I'll be happy to introduce to the world's best tasting crab recipes.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 04-18-2012

jbrockpiano is on a distinguished road

I use a pressure cooker after removing the back guts and lungs. Place in the pressure cooker just until the top starts rocking then immediately remove from heat and remove the rocker top out on the deck to let the stinky steam escape. Crabs are done perfect every time and the smell is outside the cabin.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.