Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Basic Staples ???

Coffee, margaritas, beer, peanut butter and goldfish crackers and I could probably survive on Gilligans Island for a long time. Ginger would be good too. I keep hearing she is good for seasickness.
misfits likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2012

captflood is on a distinguished road

GREETINGS EARTHLINGS ; ARROW make a good rang of stainless steel staples I use them when doing work on the boat HA HA HA AS ALWAYS GO SAFE
Old 05-14-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Canned tuna, canned tomatoes, canned chili or black beans. For fruit we use those little snack cups made for kid's lunches - applesauce, mandarin oranges, pineapple. (I'm assuming you don't have refrigeration?) Gotta disagree with Brian on the canned mushrooms, to me those taste slimy, and it doesn't take that long to slice the fresh ones or bring them with your cold provisions (meat, cheese, eggs, veggies) that will augment your pantry staples.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 05-14-2012

CapnBones is on a distinguished road

Chef boyardee, black beans, cholula and siracha hot sauces both put tobasco to shame. Also bars of some kind I like the nutri grain cereal bars for a quick pick me up or something to tide you over when the anchorage is still a little way off.
Old 05-14-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Chef boyardee? Do you keep prisoners aboard?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-14-2012

If you have refrigeration, apples will last a very long time and are a great way to have that fresh fruit break. Orchards effectively keep them all winter. For me, canned and dried fruits get tiresome very quickly.

We do use dried fruit to have homemade trailmix aboard. Good staple. We buy the nuts and dried fruits at Sams/Costco/etc. Occassionaly will add M&Ms, but dried pineapple adds about all the sweet one can handle, if you want sweet. Whatever nuts we are using, we only buy one of them salted, the rest are unsalted. That makes just the right sodium content.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 05-16-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I second the Ginger idea, followed by beer...no, put the beer first.
Old 05-17-2012

KnottyGurl is on a distinguished road

Great suggestions, in addition to the original basic's were adding more spices, jerky, and some soups that can be used as sauces for rice, beans assorted, stews canned, mushrooms, hot sauce, canned meats, corn flour, salad oil.
I bought a 12 VDC cooler to allow for fresh items for longer.

Old 05-19-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

canned sardines and B&M canned brown bread.

Down
Old 05-23-2012

SailingLazy is on a distinguished road

KnottGurl, I'm in the same situation as you. Same cruising grounds and length of time aboard. Ideally, I'd like to set the boat up to be ready to go with just a quick trip to the grocery near the marina, or even grabbing a cooler of produce from the 'fridge at home. SO and I are NOT gourmets. We can get by on pretty simple food. Here is what I plan to keep on board:

Breakfast - flavored oatmeal, dried fruit, coffee, mini moo creamers
Lunch - tuna pouches, crackers, pb&j, mayo in small pouches
Dinner - canned soup, boil in a bag rice, canned chili, noodles, canned beans, pasta sauce
Beverages - plenty of water, gatorade and crystal light powder, 20oz sodas, beer, RUM
Snacks - fruit and applesauce cups, granola bars, more crackers

This is supplemented by some fresh fruit and veg (carrots, tomatoes, onion, apples), bread, maybe some muffins or a coffee cake, and Kraft singles. We also go out to dinner a lot when cruising and I ALWAYS order a salad with my meal for more vegetables.

Here's to a great summer.
KnottyGurl likes this.