Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2012

SeaQuinn is on a distinguished road
Re: Basic Staples ???

For main dishes that can be stored I like canned tuna, salmon, chicken, chili and crab meat. With these I can make tuna sandwiches, salmon patties, chicken salad or chicken ala king, chili dogs or nachos, and crab cakes or stuffing for fresh caught fish.
I also like rice, risotto and dried noodles for side dishes. Then canned veggies and fruit.
If I have those aboard I can just add some fresh veggies, mushrooms, salad greens and fruit like grapes, melons and apples. I buy meat fresh when I can and sometimes freeze it before bringing it to the boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2012

KnottyGurl is on a distinguished road

So I added a presto 5qt pressure cooker and test sailed it last weekend, I'LL tell you what... I think I made one of the best pot roasts ever with some carrots, onions, potatoes followed the directions and made a meal that was just awesome ( So a BIG THANKS to the recommendation for one).
Also added a spice rack made from wood and installed it along side my bulkhead shelf.
The plumbed in a propane line to the stove that took those little bottles and put a 10lb in the stbd hatch for storage and it sits on the seat at the moment when in use.
A more permanent solution will be done over the winter to store outside along the push pit.
assorted canned fish has been added and a rubber made filled with crackers to hold crumbs and protect from crushing also.
I also have nasi goreng spice added for rice and pasta dishes which is great and got some fish fry tossed into the mix as well.
This has become the best season for variety and tastyness of meals cooked onboard.
The other day I was making eggs benne's on the hook and ended up making a few more for the boats that were in sniffing distance as they began to spy my meals in the cockpit and offered up supplies to be added for a potluck.
An awesome season so far, thanks to all for input and keep the ideas coming.
wingNwing and aeventyr60 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-02-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

We've been playing with the pressure cooker a lot recently (we're on the hard, and just a tad, shall we say, restless?) Anyway, found this fascinating site: hip pressure cooking - pressure cooker recipes & tips!

There's even a recipe for pasta in the pressure cooker: Farfalle all'Arrabbiata - Angry (spicy) Butterflies
- the secret to al dente pressure cooked pasta! | hip pressure cooking - pressure cooker recipes & tips!
which just blows my mind. Between the large amount of fresh water needed, the fuel to heat said water, and the steam, we just didn't make pasta aboard until we found this.
jimjazzdad likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 08-02-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

That's it. I'm buying a pressure cooker. Maybe I'll finally be hip.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-02-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

I can vouch for the pasta recipe, we've done it three times since we found it. Used Barilla pasta and the cheapest generic tomato sauce once, and it STILL came out delicious. The next time, we used fresh tomatoes from the farmer's market and the results were, well, amazing. Next, I want to try her bread recipe, and the pressure cooker learning series on that site.

But a pressure cooker is not what you need to be "hip" -- ALL women who sail are hip! (And BTW, like the new avatar!)

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 08-02-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Yeah, well. I need all the help I can get. (and thanks)

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-03-2012
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road

Lately I've been using my pressure cooker, almost exclusively. Mine's electric (at home use) and it's a rice maker, browner and 2-speed slow cooker, and warmer. Very quiet.

Need to get another stove-top Presto for the boat. Gave my Presto to a live-aboard when I got the electric (Fagor brand). Gotta try making bread in it.

Edit: Just added a 4-qt Presto to my wish list. It'll be perfect for the boat.

I make awesome stews, soups and bean dishes in the pressure cooker.

Last edited by carl762; 08-03-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-03-2012
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

oysterman23 is on a distinguished road
All this talk of food and no mention of fresh herbs. Thyme rosemary some herbes provence...ahhhh oh and you've all convinced me its time to learn pressure cooker! Thanks this id gonna be fun
Old 08-04-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oysterman23 View Post
All this talk of food and no mention of fresh herbs. Thyme rosemary some herbes provence...ahhhh oh and you've all convinced me its time to learn pressure cooker! Thanks this id gonna be fun
Fresh herbs here include: Thai basil, lemongrass, coriander, curry leaves, chilis, ginger, spring onion, fenugreek, star anise, cinnamon,cloves.....etc.

Try a lamb curry in your pressure cooker, ummmmmmmmmmmmm good!
oysterman23 and AncientTech like this.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-04-2012
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road

Cant go wrong with pressure cooker. Grandma cooked 4 decades with this technology. Absolutely infuses flavors for a taste like you've been cooking all day.

edit: no more posting from iPhone, until I get used to the little keyboard.

Last edited by carl762; 08-09-2012 at 02:14 PM.