SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Provisioning (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/)
-   -   Basic Staples ??? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/87269-basic-staples.html)

KnottyGurl 05-11-2012 12:51 AM

Basic Staples ???

I do day day sailing, weekends and week long cruising in the Great lakes and with the boat being launched last weekend, I am going to load it for the summer with basic staples. Sooo with that in mind I wondered what others considered the Basic must have on board.

Coffee and Tea
Sugar, whitener, condensed milk
Vodka, Panama Jack, light Rum, Malibu rum, dark rum, and the Captain spiced.
Variety of powdered soup, case of mre's, pasta, flour, salt and pepper simple spices, some stews, smoked oysters and a block of old cheese, a case of tonic water.

bigdogandy 05-11-2012 05:09 AM

Re: Basic Staples ???

Knotty - I'd add a bottle or two of Tabasco and Tabasco chipotle, some cans of blackeyed peas, at least a pound of grits, a bunch of spam, more rum, walnuts, beer, and aspirin to your list........

wingNwing 05-11-2012 06:58 AM

What are you bringing to that dockside happy hour? Snacks, olives, chips & salsa, nuts ...

misfits 05-11-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnottyGurl (Post 869963)
Vodka, Panama Jack, light Rum, Malibu rum, dark rum, and the Captain spiced.

You've got all the important stuff so guess you're all set:D

bljones 05-11-2012 05:40 PM

A weekend's worth of good meals that takes up less than 1 cubic foot of space:

Cheap pouches of risotto and/or quick cook rice. Don't pay more than a buck fitty each. Add shrimp, diced cooked chicken, chorizo or diced cooked pork chops and shallots and you're good to go.
Cans of stagg chili. Add tortilla chips and green onions and shredded cheese. Or combine with a pouch of risotto or rice.

Bottle of olive oil. Also a refillable spray bottle of olive oil.
Can of chick peas.
Jar of Tahini
Combine the three ingredients above with fresh garlic and you've got hummus. Serve with fresh pitas warmed on a hot pan sprayed with olive oil.
Cans of sliced mushrooms
Ramen noodles.- Poor man's pho or hot pot base. boil water in a pot, add the seasoning packet, toss in some garlic and peppers and a can of shrooms, add some diced chicken pork or beef, , just when the meat is about cooked, add noodles.
Pancake mix.
Siracha sauce, soy sauce, bbq sauce, hoisin sauce.
Fresh Garlic.
Fresh Ginger.

Spices.

Brent Swain 05-11-2012 06:45 PM

Beans , split peas, oatmeal, greased eggs, Flour, bakin powder, lard, cookin oil, ( bannock ingredients) ketchup, jam, butter, cereals, liquid smoke, chicken and ribs sauce, Camino hot chocolate powder, MCD's, Spaghetti, cajun spice, turmeric, popping corn.
Use the milk, not whitener( intrafacial chemo therapy)

MadBassett 05-11-2012 07:18 PM

Basic Staples ???

Don't forget a good supply of Airborne, our Great Lakes' weather makes for ill sailors.
Dehydrated fruit
Beef jerky (or venison, mmmm)
English baked beans
Tuna
Candy (good foul weather item)
Cinnamon! It never seems to be on the boat.

-A

KnottyGurl 05-11-2012 11:37 PM

Some really great ideas for adding to the list Jerky is good, split peas another and rice (DUH) I actually should have thought of that one as well.. Last year I took off 6 No Frills bags of provisions, How many bags did yall have to remove last year at haul out, now I curious.
Brian need some more One Pot Two pot ideas.

Cruiser2B 05-12-2012 04:04 AM

We alway provision before a weekend or extended(week) outing, but we also always have clif bars, case of bottled water, and bottles of gatorade onboard.

Other things besides food for anytime out for us are Baby wipes and Sunscreen(70spf).

boatpoker 05-12-2012 05:47 AM

Jennifer Lopez