SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Provisioning (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/)
-   -   Nuts in Honey? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/87905-nuts-honey.html)

JanetGroene 05-28-2012 11:06 AM

Nuts in Honey?

I just received a gift that I absolutely love. It is a quart jar packed solid with assorted nuts and then filled to the brim with honey, I know honey is a preservative but does anyone know how long things might last with refrigeration? Without refrigeration? It is abfab on cereal, ice cream, cake, etc. Expensive to make but worth it?

Capt.aaron 05-28-2012 12:02 PM

Re: Nuts in Honey?

Forever, I've never had refrigeration and I travel far away from civilization for extended periods of time. I pickle, olive oil and honey things a lot. I stay away from town a lot longer than anything would last in a frige. Read Sailing the Farm for preservation methods.

CapnBilll 05-28-2012 12:03 PM

Nuts if properly dried last a looong time. Honey also lasts for years. Excellent idea, I'll have to try it.

SlowButSteady 05-28-2012 12:50 PM

The honey may crystallize over time, but it shouldn't go bad. It will probably also keep the nuts, or more specifically the oil in the nuts, from going rancid for a very long time; probably much longer than the mixture would avoid being eaten ;).

Bob142 05-28-2012 01:26 PM

They have found honey in the pyramids that was still good...

jrd22 05-28-2012 03:19 PM

Bacteria can't grow in honey so this sounds like a great idea. I was a commercial beekeeper and thought I'd heard everything honey related, but this is a new one I'll have to try.

captflood 05-28-2012 04:38 PM

GREETINGS EARTHLINGS ;- Are the nuts English Whitworth or American Fine ?????? Iether or GO SAFE

wind_magic 06-01-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt.aaron (Post 876567)
Forever, I've never had refrigeration and I travel far away from civilization for extended periods of time. I pickle, olive oil and honey things a lot. I stay away from town a lot longer than anything would last in a frige. Read Sailing the Farm for preservation methods.

Can we convince you to do a post about this, Aaron ? I am especially interested in pickling with vinegar for food preservation on the boat, I'd like to add that to dehydrating and pressure canning. I really like pickled beet eggs but have been shy about making them because the extension folks say they aren't safe.

CarbonSink62 06-01-2012 11:24 AM

I using my boat to slowly pickle myself.

Then I can sail forever. :D

bljones 06-01-2012 11:48 AM

This thread would likely get more attention if there was a comma in the title.