Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012
Senior Moment Member

AncientTech is on a distinguished road
Re: longer than stuff lasts in a frige

Just started reading "Sailing The Farm". I am very much into the being independent in sailing and always try and learn anything that can help to that end. As far as solar stills, being a tinker and advocate of alternative energy, I have actually built some before. None are as efficient as we would want them to be and the most useful one I ever built was also the most simple design (go figure). I look forward to learning useful knowledge from these books.

Last edited by AncientTech; 06-26-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I have a salt water still I bought from some kid who was selling everything, that works on a stove top or on a camp fire, which is what I intend to use it for. The brand name escapes me but it will make gallons a day. True freedom from town is all about water water water. If I've ever had to leave paradise for something, it's been to go get more water. that's why I have over 100 gallon storage and another 30 in jerry's, and I buy bottled water by the pallet. I have bottles of water stuck in every nook. Rain catching tech. is a constant project of mine. I am alway's thinking about how to catch as much as I can.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 06-26-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-26-2012

tomfl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I wasn't particularly impressed with Sailing the Farm. Incorrect information on some things I did know about cast the rest that I didn't know about into doubt.

If you are interested in the book it is available for free online http://cruisenews.net/sailfarm.pdf
Thanks for the link, at least I will be able to determine if it is worth buying a hard copy.
Old 06-26-2012

tomfl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I have a salt water still I bought from some kid who was selling everything, that works on a stove top or on a camp fire, which is what I intend to use it for. The brand name escapes me but it will make gallons a day. True freedom from town is all about water water water. If I've ever had to leave paradise for something, it's been to go get more water. that's why I have over 100 gallon storage and another 30 in jerry's, and I buy bottled water by the pallet. I have bottles of water stuck in every nook. Rain catching tech. is a constant project of mine. I am alway's thinking about how to catch as much as I can.
Any pix or a more detailed description of the stove top still. It sounds like something I could fabricate, or have someone do it for me.
Old 06-26-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Thanks for the link, at least I will be able to determine if it is worth buying a hard copy.
It' s def. not worth 200 bucks. I bought my first copy at a yard sale and read it at the library when I want to remember a concept or idea from the book. It did get me excited about getting independant and self sufficiant.
Old 06-26-2012
KNOT KNOWN

I'm on the tug boat right now, but the still is in My truck in the harbour, If I get over there this week I'll get the name off the label. It's something simple like, "salt water still" or something like that, It's a cook pot, with an inner pot, and a plastic hose basically. I looked it up on line when I bought it to look for replacement parts if I need them.
Old 12-09-2012

KY Hendrix is on a distinguished road

Capt Aaron,
Very interesting read on your barebones approach. I had not thought of the pump sprayer for a shower(more pressure and less water is prolly a nice thing to add to the list of things to have)
Thanks for sharing. Now how long will a Parmazan wheel last?
Old 12-09-2012

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I have a salt water still I bought from some kid who was selling everything, that works on a stove top or on a camp fire, which is what I intend to use it for.
Pressure canner can be used in this way too with some kind of condenser, but you have to be careful not to boil it dry or the heat can warp it. Lowes sells copper tubing.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-11-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Hendrix View Post
Capt Aaron,
Very interesting read on your barebones approach. I had not thought of the pump sprayer for a shower(more pressure and less water is prolly a nice thing to add to the list of things to have)
Thanks for sharing. Now how long will a Parmazan wheel last?
If you are not afraid to cut out the blue parts you can eat off that wheel for 6 months in the tropics. The pump up sprayer is great for washing off the salt water, I bath as I swim. But on cold winter nights (55 deg at worst down here), after a wet kayak ride back the boat, a tea kettles worth of hot water mixed with 2 gallons of tank water in a bug sprayer will get you good and clean. I am currently re-outfitting my boat and all the work is going toward the rig, hull and sails. Inside I have three lights and a radio. an alcohol stove and a bunch of pillows. I can't think of anything else I need down there.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 12-11-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-11-2012
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road

Glad somebody bought this thread back up. Started reading the PDF version of the book. I'm highly interested in trying Spirulina in my diet, as well as utilizing many, if not all, of your tips and recipes, at home and on the boat.

Thanks.