Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Re: longer than stuff lasts in a frige

It better be awesome..for near ta $9.50 a pound!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2012

leapoffaith is on a distinguished road

Please share more! Have the house on the market so I can buy the boat and do the same. Less is more and self-sufficiency is the goal. Thanks
Old 12-15-2012

leapoffaith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: longer than stuff lasts in a frige

I'm preparing to start eating them at home too, so then I'll be ready for the boat. Just shared the ideas with my 17 year old son. He didn't share my excitement.... Can't wait to learn more!
Old 12-15-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaten View Post
It better be awesome..for near ta $9.50 a pound!
It is. I splerge on some Gormet items, like my organic dried blue berry's and dark chocolate bars, good wine etc. Since my operating cost's are so low, and very little maintenece, plus practically never going to a marina, I have money for great food and night's out in the many cool places I sail to, Like Isla Mujeres and Livingston G. And Cartegenia.
If you carmalize slices of a nice canned ham in pineappple jucie and garlic and serve it on sweet potato slices browned in that Dutch Butter, some jarred asparugus and pair it with Cambria chardinay, It really takes away from the discomfort of a wet day at sea. and satisfies that need for something good to eat, and I can make that meal months away from the Grocery store.
Brent Swain likes this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 12-16-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-16-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

There are a few things that will drag me back to town after a few months anchored out in the middle of no where. Sometimes I just want to sit in a Bar and people watch, play some pool with freinds and have a laugh. But an even greater pull is my craving for a steak. There is a recipe for canned steak and onions I've found on line by some dude up on Big Turtle Creek. Any body doing Long passages with no freezer, or people like me who crawl up into Back country lagoons in Mexico or Belize for months at a time, Know this craving well. I plan to try this recipe out when I get back to land next week, and serve it on day six during my up coming voyage to Honduras in april. I'll let Ya'll know how it turned out. Or, if I poison my self, I'll leave instructions not to try this at home. Normally I stick with a vegatarian diet as far as preserved foods, supplimented with fresh fish, lobster and conch, a side from the canned chicken and ham and tuna which only I break out when My body is calling for protien beyond the eggs and tofu, and other soy products. But steak is my weekness and many times I've cut adventures short to satify the craving. Often I'm saying to myself, "If I had a steak I could of stayed out there another month."

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 12-16-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-16-2012

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
There are a few things that will drag me back to town after a few months anchored out in the middle of no where. Sometimes I just want to sit in a Bar and people watch, play some pool with freinds and have a laugh. But an even greater pull is my craving for a steak. There is a recipe for canned steak and onions I've found on line by some dude up on Big Turtle Creek. Any body doing Long passages with no freezer, or people like me who crawl up into Back country lagoons in Mexico or Belize for months at a time, Know this craving well. I plan to try this recipe out when I get back to land next week, and serve it on day six during my up coming voyage to Honduras in april. I'll let Ya'll know how it turned out. Or, if I poison my self, I'll leave instructions not to try this at home. Normally I stick with a vegatarian diet as far as preserved foods, supplimented with fresh fish, lobster and conch, a side from the canned chicken and ham and tuna which only I break out when My body is calling for protien beyond the eggs and tofu, and other soy products. But steak is my weekness and many times I've cut adventures short to satify the craving. Often I'm saying to myself, "If I had a steak I could of stayed out there another month."
You can definitely pressure can steak. Seering the steak is just as important with pressure canning as it is when you normally fix a steak.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-20-2012
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road

Yum, think I'll BBQ a nice steak on the boat tomorrow night for the Mayan End of the World party. Then, a nice bottle of whiskey to split with buddy who lives on his boat full time.

Capt.Aaron, just tried the spirulina. Man, that's intense stuff. How much of it do you consume in a day? Research indicates that minimum amount would be 1 tablespoon, approximately 14.2 grams, advising to take no more than 50 grams a day, being sure to drink tons of water.
Old 01-16-2013
Sundance 23

I'm using one tsp Spirulina twice a day in orange juice. Very good way to do it. Man, you can feel, really feel, the energy. Never experienced this before. I'm hooked.

Now, to get into more of the natural food goodies.
Old 01-16-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Great posts Aaron. Thanks.
Cheese submerged in cooking oil lasts forever, and you can still use the oil for cooking.
Buy a copy of "The Bean Book" by Rose Elliot. Lots of bean recipes in it.
You can use a pressure cooker for beans and pea soup, as long as you put a bit of cooking oil on top of the water to stop it from foaming.
Mix a can of sweetened condensed milk with a half can of vinegar and a teaspoon of mustard and you have a very tasty mayonaise which needs no fridge.
Buy a large caner( scrapyards are a good source) and use it to can meats and fish. Works well for venison.
Blackberry leaves and any strawberry type berry leaves make a good tea, as do stinging nettles, thimble berry leaves, hawthorn berries, etc.
I once lived in a housekeeping room which had a fridge . I only used it once in two years. Never had one since ,over 40 years ago.
Old 01-16-2013
Sundance 23

Quote:
Cheese submerged in cooking oil lasts forever, and you can still use the oil for cooking.
Excellent. Thanks Brent.

Quote:
Mix a can of sweetened condensed milk with a half can of vinegar and a teaspoon of mustard and you have a very tasty mayonaise which needs no fridge.
Added that to my cooking/recipe file. Thanks again.

I think I have that Bean Book. I do lots of beans in the pressure cooker. I think it’s one
of the best products from Carl’s Kitchen.

Much to learn in changing my diet and becoming more self-sufficient and off the grid, both at home and on the boat.

Time for another dose of spirulina and orange juice.