Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Re: longer than stuff lasts in a frige

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl762 View Post
I do lots of beans in the pressure cooker.
Do you use cooking oil on top as I believe Brent suggested above ?

I will pressure can beans, but I am reluctant to cook dhal or beans in a pressure cooker because they do foam up. I might try again if the cooking oil trick works.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2013
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Do you use cooking oil on top as I believe Brent suggested above ?
No. First time I heard of it, was here. Will try it though, as I also do garbonzo beans for making hummus, which I pretty much eat every day.

I basically just watch the levels of ingredients I put in and be sure to clean the vents. I gave my stovetop pressure cooker to a fellow sailor and bought an electric Fagor combo low/high pressure cooker, with low/high slow cooking, rice maker, and browner/warmer. It's awesome. Sorry I gave away the stove top. Will be replacing it soonest, so I can pressure cook on the boat.

With the exception of breakfasts, every time I cook, I'm using that electric pressure cooker. Best thing I ever bought for the kitchen.
Old 01-18-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
No. First time I heard of it, was here. Will try it though, as I also do garbonzo beans for making hummus, which I pretty much eat every day.

I basically just watch the levels of ingredients I put in and be sure to clean the vents. I gave my stovetop pressure cooker to a fellow sailor and bought an electric Fagor combo low/high pressure cooker, with low/high slow cooking, rice maker, and browner/warmer. It's awesome. Sorry I gave away the stove top. Will be replacing it soonest, so I can pressure cook on the boat.

With the exception of breakfasts, every time I cook, I'm using that electric pressure cooker. Best thing I ever bought for the kitchen.
I also use a pressure cooker for almost every meal, and I have been reluctant to use it for split peas and beans because I have had problems with them foaming up and I believe there is a risk of clogging the vent and causing dangerous pressure build up. I could plainly see the residue of the froth on the inside of the lid at the vent. I would like to find a way to get around that problem because the pressure cooker does such a great job of pressure cooking beans.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-18-2013
Sundance 23

Quote:
I also use a pressure cooker for almost every meal, and I have been reluctant to use it for split peas and beans because I have had problems with them foaming up and I believe there is a risk of clogging the vent and causing dangerous pressure build up. I could plainly see the residue of the froth on the inside of the lid at the vent. I would like to find a way to get around that problem because the pressure cooker does such a great job of pressure cooking beans.
Let's both try the oil thing and write the results here. Since it's been mentioned here, I'm sure it works. Not sure how much oil to use.

Thanks to Capt.Aaron, I'm now doing Spirulina daily and just can't believe the energy levels I get from it. I believe it's actually helping to cure my acid reflux, which just sucks.

I'm going to an 80% "Hippy Diet" this year. I've already lost 70 lbs over the last year and a half and don't want to go back. A film called Forks Over Knives helped make this decision, too. I plan on doing dried peas and lentils of all sorts in the pressure cooker. Looking forward to trying the oil on top method tomorrow. I'm absolutely convinced the whole food, natural diet is the way to go, however, I'm not giving up eggs, cheese, and I like a little meat once in a while. I eat oatmeal and flaxseed, with dried fruit, most every day. Up to a couple months ago, when monsoon season hit, I completed seven full months of riding my bicycle to work. Looking forward to getting back on the bike in March.

I'll be reading Sailing the Farm tomorrow while cooking, and am planning out this year's garden right now (indoor, outdoor containers, and outdoor raised beds, and I plan on building a small greenhouse). The only thing that will be new is the greenhouse.

I want to be off the grid as much as possible for the rest of my life. Hell, my sailboat hasn't been hooked to shore power for 2.5 years. I have lights, stereo, Chartplotter and most all the comforts of home on board.

Thanks again for this thread, Captain. You have the lifestyle I can only dream about at this time.
Brent Swain likes this.

Last edited by carl762; 01-18-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-18-2013

SVTatia is on a distinguished road

I have cooked beans in a pressure cooker for ages and never had any issue.
I used to cook with only water, but what I do now is to season it before I close the lid – put some oil in the pan, sautee onions, herbs, drop a couple of bay leaves, etc, close the lid and pressure cook for about 20/25 minutes. Open and check firmness, cook more if desired.
Do not add salt – it will prevent the beans from cooking properly – it reacts somewhat and I am not sure why or how, I only know that if you add salt, you mess it up. Salt to taste after the beans are cooked.

Macrobiotics – I am reading the cookbooks (never mind the philosophy) and see what I can gather – looks interesting and it relates to most of the stuff in this thread – anyone out there who is a macroB or have tried the diet or some of the diet?
Brent Swain likes this.
Old 01-18-2013
Sundance 23

Macrobiotics, sans the philosophy (which is to be learned later) is basically what I'm doing, it seems. I'll still call it the "Hippy Diet."

Quote:
used to cook with only water, but what I do now is to season it before I close the lid – put some oil in the pan, sautee onions, herbs, drop a couple of bay leaves, etc.
Yup, that's what I do. No salt during initial cooking of beans. Once onions, etc. put in, I add salt.

Another thing I want to do after I get a pressure cooker for the boat is get a mortar and pestle, so I can make hummus on the boat. It would come in handy for other things as well.

EDIT: Just ordered mortar and pestle from Amazon. Will have it Monday.

Winter or not, I'm going to be spending a bunch more time down on the boat. I hate the City.
Old 01-19-2013

Quote:
Let's both try the oil thing and write the results here.
Absolutely.

I've been looking for some new recipes too, so I'm game for the hummus trial too, I already have a mortar and pestle.

Please support my
Old 01-21-2013
Sundance 23

Yup, gotta do a batch this evening, with the food processor.

Mortar and Pestle should arrive today, latest tomorrow, since holiday.

Last edited by carl762; 01-21-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-06-2013
Fly Fishing Maniac

WindyFly is on a distinguished road

This thread is awesome! Keep the ideas and recipes coming. Anyone use handcrank blenders at all? I've always heard mixed reviews of them.

On a food note, while camping in the Keys or OBX we do ceviche a lot, I've made it with everything from striper to tuna. No cooking necessary as the citric acid (lime, lemon, tangerine and/or orange) "cooks" the fish. So for those hot days, when extra heat isn't wanted, ceviche tacos are pretty awesome (especially fresh caught fish)
Old 02-06-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Blender. I loved my 12 volt blender, it was my fav. electrical gizmo. I would make chocolate soy milk and banana smothies for dessert. Spirulina and boxed O.J. smothies for Breakfast. I have'nt replaced it yet but plan to. Never seen a hand crank blender, I'll keep an eye out for one. I'm also fix'n to try this boxed bacon I see unrefrigerated at the grocery store.