Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
longer than stuff lasts in a frige

I stay away from town for a lot longer than stuff will last in a frige. I sprout lentil's, chick peas, wheat. I make sprouted lentil burgers on sprouted wheat bread with sprouted chick pea humus. It's awesome. I throw some lentil sprouts in the hot pan with olive oil, honey and dryed organic blue berry's and serve on jasmine rice. Living, fresh and nutritous food I can keep for months. Wax Boxed tofu and soy milk. Cereal's, dried fruit. I pickle okra, eggs, I put peppers and green beans in olive oil. I simplify the sprouting process by just throwing the lentils in a cook pot, watering once and forgetting about them. You can run the wheat sprouts through a hand cranking food grinder and it comes out as dough. I have a solar oven I made from Sailing the Farm and just put the dough in it. Bread. The list of wonderfull, fresh food I'm eating on week 6 in some out of the way anchorage like Bahia de Ascension in the Yucatan or the Marqueses in the key's, is endless! I've been living a board since I was 8 and inherited the boat when I was 18. I'm 41 now and have never had a frige. Salami's, canned butter from Holand, pastas, sundried tomatoes. Saute' up some canned chicken breast with white wine and garlic. Fresh pickled cucumber. I could go on and on and on about how I can stock my boat with 6 months of great non frige food. Do you know how long a Parm cheese wheel lasts?! I use electricity for lights and......?? music... and a small fan. I use a pump up bug sprayer as a shower and get cleaner than dribbling water from a shower head. I have a 65 gallon water tank under my V bearth, and a 40 gallon one where my engine was. Any plastic gidget gadget that had wires poking out of it has broken and not been replaced. If I can't beat it with a hammer it's useless to me. The more I've gotten rid of, more freedom I've gained and the longer I've been able to stay away from town. I know this bare bones style isn't for everyone, but little aspects of it may interest some of you.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 06-02-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: longer than stuff lasts in a frige

Aaron,

The last time I was in the Marquesses was about 15 years ago. At that time there was a deepwater cut from the northwest side that led into a relatively large, deep pocket in Mooney Harbor. The water at high tide in the cut was about 5 to 7 feet deep and the pocket was 20 feet deep. There were loads of monster cuda in the pocket, and a fair number of lobster. Is the cut still there, or has it filled in? I was thinking seriously about anchoring up there on the way to the Dry Tortugas--just as a stop-over point.

Cheers,

Gary
bwalker42, Capt.aaron and LoboPops like this.
Old 06-06-2012

cupper3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I stay away from town for a lot longer than stuff will last in a frige. I sprout lentil's, chick peas, wheat. I make sprouted lentil burgers on sprouted wheat bread with sprouted chick pea humus. It's awesome. I throw some lentil sprouts in the hot pan with olive oil, honey and dryed organic blue berry's and serve on jasmine rice..............
How long do your sprouts normally take until you can use them? I guess the second question is the quantity you normally use?

I love the idea of fresh food in the manner you describe it, and I'm sure I am not the only one who would appreciate more details, including equipment you might use.

Thanks!

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Old 06-06-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road

Good stuff Capt Aaron...I love the bug sprayer shower idea...that's very interesting.I like this kind of food too...Gimme a gallon of good olive oil, a quart of tahini (sesame butter), some balsamic vinegar, cayenne powder,lots of basmati rice, canned whole or chopped tomatoes, soy flour,a big bag of whole wheat flour,some gram flour(besan or flour made from lentils), dried fruit of all kinds,dried hot peppers,curry ingredients,lots of fresh garlic,dried ginger powder,wasabi powder, a big bottle of soy sauce, a bunch of popcorn kernels from that guy whose name is hard to pronounce, etc...is a short list of stuff I could make last for a long, long cruise...alot of this stuff goes great with freshly-caught fish...I'm curious if you are supplementing your stores with regular catches of fish Capt A?

Last edited by souljour2000; 06-06-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-06-2012

H2814D is on a distinguished road

Are you kidding me? Seriously? How do you make the cheeseburgers? Where are the pizzas? :-)
Old 06-06-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road

Maybe not cheeseburgers but you can make good pizza from this stuff...especially if you have the big round of cheese like he mentioned...fresh sushi is very easy if you can catch the right fish...just put lots of fresh garlic into the soy sauce and use wasabi and rice vinegar or a dash of rice wine (saki) to initially soak the fish in after cleaning it...or dip the sushi in to keep down the bacteria organisms in any fish from warmer waters...
Old 06-06-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Wow - amazing. I have never done without refrigeration (except our 250, but even then we did a cooler). Crap, I feel like a real weenie - I am looking into adding another deep freeze on the boat!!!

Cool stuff Aaron.

Brian

PS How do you keep your beer cold??
Capt.aaron and LoboPops like this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-09-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Aaron,

The last time I was in the Marquesses was about 15 years ago. At that time there was a deepwater cut from the northwest side that led into a relatively large, deep pocket in Mooney Harbor. The water at high tide in the cut was about 5 to 7 feet deep and the pocket was 20 feet deep. There were loads of monster cuda in the pocket, and a fair number of lobster. Is the cut still there, or has it filled in? I was thinking seriously about anchoring up there on the way to the Dry Tortugas--just as a stop-over point.

Cheers,

Gary
Yes the cut is still there. As for the sprouts. I put lentils in a pot I would normally use to boil pasta in, cover with water, and 12 hours later they have soaked up the water and have cracked. At this point you can eat them raw. a day later they have a nice stem and a day after that a leaf. I guess I do about a pound at a time and have three batches going at a time. If you run the sprouts through a hand crank food grinder it is basicly burger material, Throw it in the pan. The wheat takes more rinse , but the water you drain off is called rejuvilac and is super good for you, The wheat takes a day or 2. I do all the sprouts in cook pots. I do this to have fresh produce after I've used up the groceries From the store and or they have rotted. The thing I miss most when I'm out there is lettuce and cucmber's> I discoverd the lentil sprouts in the pot by accident. I had soaked some to cook and did'nt get back to them for a day. When I'm out there I spend a lot of time spearfishing and looking for lobster. (In Mexico conch) I once made a lobster ruben on sprouted wheat bread with, home made saurekraut And fresh made red pepper aoli. (I used roasted red pepper preserved in olive oil and mayonaise made from eggs that had been dipped in wax.) Awesome sandwich!

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 06-09-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-09-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Wow - amazing. I have never done without refrigeration (except our 250, but even then we did a cooler). Crap, I feel like a real weenie - I am looking into adding another deep freeze on the boat!!!

Cool stuff Aaron.

Brian

PS How do you keep your beer cold??
I keep my beer cold by keeping it on the sea bottm tied to a piece of line. It keeps it better than warm any way. I put lime and salt on the rim of the bottle. It may be an aquired taste. But not warm beer is better than no beer. I mostly drink rum out of the bottle anyway's.
bwalker42 and LoboPops like this.
Old 06-09-2012

cupper3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
..................I once made a lobster ruben on sprouted wheat bread with, home made saurekraut And fresh made red pepper aoli. (I used roasted red pepper preserved in olive oil and mayonaise made from eggs that had been dipped in wax.) Awesome sandwich!
You have some awesome ideas here. Ever thought of putting all your recipes on a blog? (BIG HINT!!)

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.