SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Provisioning (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/)
-   -   Solar cooking (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/89063-solar-cooking.html)

bwalker42 06-26-2012 11:27 AM

Solar cooking

I'm just curious if any liveaboards/cruisers have, built and used solar food dehydrators, use them regularly, and your results.

Capt.aaron 06-26-2012 11:35 AM

Re: Solar cooking

I made a solar fruit dehydrator and dried mango, guava, papaya, and banana with much success. Eventually i just started leaving the fruit on deck in the sun for the same results. (in the tropics) Keeping the fly's away was the biggest problem.

ccriders 06-26-2012 11:59 AM

I recently did an internet search on solar ovens and was amazed at the variety ovens available. One article discussed the ratio of reflective surface to oven temperature and it seems you can modulate the oven temp easily enough, which you would want to do for dehydrating purposes.
When I was in Korea way back when, I saw women drying sliced fruits and vegetables on pretty much any flat sunny surface they could find. Few Koreans had refrigeration then, so they depended on dehydrated vegetables and fruit during the winter.
It would be easy enough to spread netting to control flies when in vicinity of land.

Capt.aaron 06-26-2012 12:47 PM

That's what I did, No-seam net. Flip the fruit a couple of times. I left a peach on deck by accident and realized I did'nt need the fancy dehydrator I had built.

smurphny 06-27-2012 07:29 PM

Built one of those cardboard solar ovens covered with foil the other day. Cost: cardboard-$0, aluminum foil about a penny. Got the plan from an internet site. Now if the sun will ever shine, I'll give it a try.:)

Capt.aaron 06-27-2012 08:26 PM

The main thing, really the only thing I use my solar oven for is mana bread. I sprout wheat berry's, run them through a hand crank meat grinder, and out comes dough. It's totally crazy. I ball it up into 2 patty's in my hand. One patty I stick in some garlic, and the other some dried apricot peices. If I put them in at 11:00 they are ready by 3:00. It's fun. I spend week's at time in secluded anchorages messing around with this stuff. It's a time passer.

smurphny 06-27-2012 09:02 PM

Been making my own bread for years although have never tried ground up sprouts. Gotta try that. On the boat I use a pressure cooker on stovetop: the classic Jean De Sud method. Besides avoiding all the chemical crap in most store-bought bread, there's something down to earth and satisfying about making bread. Am anxious to see if the staple whole wheat bread can be baked in a solar oven. It would save on stove alcohol. If it works, I'll build a more durable unit that can be folded up flat.

aeventyr60 06-27-2012 09:28 PM

we dry fish on a piece of old screen, fresh fruit is in abundance here in the tropics so have not dried any, yet. I did try a baking a pizza on the bbq, not bad!

Capt.aaron 06-27-2012 09:28 PM

That wheat sprout dough cook's well. I left it out on a flat rock in the sun and I turned into bread. You'll see sprouted wheat bread at the health food store , I like it.

Capt.aaron 06-28-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeventyr60 (Post 889997)
we dry fish on a piece of old screen, fresh fruit is in abundance here in the tropics so have not dried any, yet. I did try a baking a pizza on the bbq, not bad!

How's that fish come out? I've alway's been too afraid to do it. Do you salt it? how long can you keep it? I know it's an ancient technique. I've made my self sick before taking on bad water in Belize and I've been wicked cautious ever since. I did'nt even drink the water, I washed a vegatable and got amebic dis.:(