SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What is your boat bread recipe.

4K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  wingNwing 
#1 ·
One fond memory from childhood is coming into the house after working in the yard and having my senses overwhelmed with the aroma of fresh baked bread. Baked in an oven or on a griddle it was a regular accent the fresh meals prepared from our garden.

With the outlook being good that I will be back on the water soon I am preparing myself and my expectations for the future. One provision I have been told works well on a boat is bread. Most everything you would need to cook loaf or flat bread will keep for very a long time on a boat when stored properly so it is down to being creative with a few ingredients to give you some variety.

I would love to hear everyone's favorite recipes for this basic staple of life that we in modern times all too often take for granted.

:)

#2 ·
Loaf of bread that is good for the two of us for 4-5 days.
1. 1 kg of flour (me usually mix 1/2 white and 1/2 whole grain)
2. 6 tsp of salt
3. 1-2 tsp of caraway and/or other seeds of your choice
4. 1 tbs of dried yeast
5. luke warm water
6. pinch of sugar
Mix 4-6 and let it sit for a while. Bubbles will appear. Then mix everything else together and start kneading. If you want "hard" that will last longer, use as little water as possible. If you want "softer" bread, add more water. We usually don't knead the dough for more than 10 minutes.
Let is rise for about 40-60mins, depending on the ambient temperature. Than bake in pre-heated oven at 200 degrees C.
Then enjoy.

#3 ·
Mine used to be the one Jean lafitte used in his own galley.
And then someone stole my recipe book:(

#7 ·
Re: What is your boat bread recipe. Cheesy Beer Bread

I make this for breakfast/dinner in the fall and spring and serve with apple or pear butter or real maple syrup

Cheesy Beer Bread ( stove top recipie)

2 cups of white flour, wheat or rice flour
pinch of salt
pinch of sugar (to taste) 1
1 heaping tsp. of baking powder
1.5 cups of cold water
1/2 bottle of beer
1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded

Mix in a bowl its consistacvy will be sticky

Coat skillet/ pan well with butter/ olive oil, Spoon 14/4 mixture into center of pan, spreading till it leaves 1" circumference left uncovered ( large pancake) on a 9" pan. Cook on med- med high heat until golden brown and then flip and brown other side. Repeat 4 times

Dave

Reactions: bwalker42
#8 ·
#14 ·
#9 ·
Irish Soda Bread!!

4 cups (16 oz) of all purpose flour.
1 Teaspoon baking soda
1 Teaspoon salt
14 oz of buttermilk (To make "Mock Butter Milk". Mix up two cups of freeze dried whole milk. Add two table spoons of white vinegar or lemon juice and allow the mix to sit for 15-20 minutes before using.)

Preheat the oven to 425 F. degrees. Lightly grease and flour a cake pan.

In a large bowl sieve and combine all the dry ingredients.

Add the buttermilk to form a sticky dough. Place on floured surface and lightly knead (too much allows the gas to escape). Shape into a round flat shape in a round cake pan and cut a cross in the top of the dough.

Cover the pan with another pan and bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes. The bottom of the bread will have a hollow sound when tapped so show it is done.

Slice, add fresh butter and salt to taste and enjoy! Cover the remaining bread, if any, in a clean dish towel and lightly sprinkle water on the cloth to keep the bread moist.

FWIW...

#11 ·
For a boat without an oven or during the summer when you don't want to heat up the cabin, it seems to me the best bread would be a flat bread that can be cooked on a grill with a baking stone. All of the Indian and Middle Eastern breads along with English Muffins are candidates. Really good crusty European style bread really needs an oven in which you can control the moisture, and a long rising period to develop the flavors. Whether using a natural leaven (sourdough) or commercial yeast, breads that take five to six hours to rise and bake at very high temperatures are not well duplicated in a pressure cooker. So try some flat breads for a change, one big hunk of humanity exists on flat breads.

#12 ·
My standard recipe for when in port or at anchor is french bread baguettes or batards made from a yeasted poolish (starter sponge). All hand made, baked on an oven stone. and I spritz the oven walls with water to create the needed steam to get a good crust.

I will make french bread by the direct yeast method if in a hurry, but for any bread to taste good you need a long fermentation time and a long rising/proof time. If in a real hurry or when at sea, I'll usually make a quick focaccia (genoese flat bread)

Most important tool in making yeasted breads: infra red indirect thermometer to carefully monitor the ingredients and mixing temperatures - one of the most important considerations with bread making.

The best 'artisan' bread making book: "The Village Baker" by Joe Ortiz (get the paperback ed.; the hardcover ed. is mega-$$$)

#13 ·
I forgot about foccacia, an excellent bread that can be altered in several ways for variety.

RichH, take a look at "Tartine". He reveals some techniques that will be really useful for on boat bread making. No floured counters tops, etc, just kneading in a bucket.
Also, ice cubes (as many as you can) in the bottom of the oven just as you put in the bread to bake will give you a pretty good head of steam that disperses in about 10 minutes. I have altered my technique and the results have been very satisfying. Another good bread book is the "Bread Bible". It is full of typos and other errors, but the reciepes are very good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.