SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Provisioning (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/)
-   -   REFRIGERATION (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/9382-refrigeration.html)

JimMuro 03-22-2004 07:32 AM

REFRIGERATION

WE HAVE A MOTOR DRIVEN REFRIGERATION SYSTEM ON A BENETEAU OCEANIS 40CC, THAT DOES NOT COOL VERY WELL. WE WOULD LIKE TO HAVE DUAL SYSTEM WITH AN ALTERNATE TO RUN ON BATTERIES. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS? THE FREEZER SECTION REALLY DOES NOT WORK. WE ARE ALWAYS USING ICE?? DOES NOT SEEM THE WAY TO GO, BUT MAYBE THE UNIT NEEDS REPAIRED A NOVEL IDEA!!

dotcom 11-04-2004 11:29 AM

REFRIGERATION

Try using a beach towel folded in thirds and placed directly over the freezer -- inside the unit. Then put a folded blanket on countertop above. Will make a HUGE difference in the performance of your freezer. We normally have to add a bag of ice daily; but using these tip, we have had a single bag of ice last a full 9 days and all food stayed frozen -- and this was in 95 degree heat of summer.

sidney777 03-21-2005 07:23 PM

REFRIGERATION

The first time that happened to me it was an easy fix. I read the adler barbour manual and it was only the thermostat setting inside(not the knob that you see). The fridg and the air cond manufac. have been very helpful with free advice. Even if not Adler Barbour or Mermaid; just e-mail and ask them. Contact any manufacturer, I think they will help, cause they know it may lead to a sale.

sidney777 03-21-2005 07:29 PM

REFRIGERATION

I have also used the towel & flexable cooler, and it certainly helps.
Is your unit air cooled(no thru hull) or water cooled ? Of course it could be dirty like a window aircond and clogged, or thru hull clogged, or needs recharging like an auto airconditioner, or needs new compressor. The manufacturer will probably tell you a check list to narrow down the possibilities.

tauras 03-26-2005 04:46 AM

REFRIGERATION

My Adler 12v cold plate system works great in very hot weather. I built my own 7cf box type ref. and used 3 inch insulation around the entire box and have never had a problem even when in Costa Rica. I did the same with my 5 cf freezer. Everything stays nice and cold even with temps in the 90"s inside. You can purchase hitech insulation in 4x8 sheets to insulate your refer. Very expensive ( around 350.00 per sheet) but very efective.
Tauras

kimberlt 03-26-2005 09:29 AM

REFRIGERATION

what is the name and where di i get this hi tech insulation?
thanks
eric

tauras 03-29-2005 04:11 PM

REFRIGERATION

Eric: contact bill owra at 941-575-4404 in punta gorda fl. He sells the insulation I purchased for my cooling systems. Good stuff
expensive but it will do the trick. His company is called Everfair Enterprises
good luck.

Tauras

OutofBounds 06-21-2005 05:50 AM

REFRIGERATION

This is the best resource that I know of for marine refrigeration:
http://www.kollmann-marine.com/

Lack of sufficient insulation is one of the biggest problems with having an efficiently running unit. Check out Mr. Kollmann''s information on insulation as this could be part of your unit''s problem.

Barb
www.TheCruisingLife.com

Johnno 06-25-2005 08:00 PM

REFRIGERATION

Yes I have a suggestion Jim, consider doing without the refrigeration.

Boat refrigeration is inherently wasteful of energy. If you are only doing coastal cruising that''s probably fine but in that case a well insulated ice box should be good enough. I''ve kept stuff for up to a week that way.

Save your money and just take your ice with you. I know that may not be the answer you were looking for but the reality is that most of the systems I have seen suffer the same problems.

cheers

Newport41 07-02-2006 11:55 PM

Got a question about holding plate systems. I understand the basic concept but I'm wondering if they can be used in a freezer or or just for regular refridgeration?